Vintage Centuri Sea a Killer Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCIGS30

Reaction score
This is my next build, looks like a fun rocket and all the parts are in great condition.

image.jpg

My first rockets, way back in the fourth grade, were Centuri. Still have a soft spot for them. Enjoy the build and please actually fly it; it's waited too long!

Would you possibly take pictures of the fins from directly overhead with a ruler next to them?

That's AWESOME!!! Thank You!!
It's great that they come right out and discuss Design/Stability Principles in the first Paragraph of the Description!
Won't find that kind of Kit nowadays sadly.

I can't really say they discussed it, but they did mention it was "slightly redesigned for safe and stable model rocket flight".

I have her all built and 4 coats of Aerogloss balsa sealer applied. My next day off work I am going to shoot with Glossy white. Should have the decals and fins posted shortly.

DSC_0174 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0177 (1024x681).jpg

Finally had some good weather and have her all painted. I brushed on 4 coats of Aerogloss balsa sealer. Then shot 3 coats of Gloss White Old Krylon and 2 coats Old Krylon Orange. The masking was a pain in the butt to say the least. Will let it dry 24 hours, sand some rough masking edges then apply the decals tomorrow.

DSC_0173 (1024x1021).jpg

DSC_0186 (1024x1021).jpg

DSC_0190 (1024x681).jpg

I had some time off work so I was able to apply the decals and finish the Sea Killer. All and all this is a great kit and someday I hope to buy the Gabriel Kit to go with it......anyone want to sell me one? :eek:
As most of you have seen my builds I pretty much build vintage Estes and Centuri rockets. I am always impressed with how well these bagged kits have held up over the years. The Centuri decals hold up better than the old Estes decals, don't know why but they are less fragile and stick like new decals. The problem with Centuri decals is they don't always match what is shown on the package or picture, oh well minor details. The old wood of both Estes and Centuri fill pretty nice with 4 coats of Aerogloss balsa sealer. Once again I did not prime the rocket, just sprayed Old formula Krylon straight onto the rocket.
I don't mind spending money on vintage kits, I feel they need to be bought, built and flown. I never understood the purpose of buying these rockets to just put into a closet somewhere, only to sell later on. With that being said, I will build the first vintage kit from the bag and if something happens to it or I want to build another, then I clone it. The good thing about having the original kit is that I can make an exact clone minus brown tubes. Now that Semroc lives on we can continue cloning these old kits. The only time I will buy 2 of the same vintage kit is if the parts are hard to clone or I just really like the old kit. I am lucky that I have an Alps printer and I can make decals. I scan the original decal and draw in CorelDraw then print. When I draw the decal I make an exact duplicate of the original with flaws and all. Most of the small wording on these old decals are just blobs of ink, you cannot read the text and that is how I make my decal. The nose cones for these Centuri kits are interesting because the same kits will come with different shaped nose cones. This nose cones part number did not match up with Semrocs number. The Nose cones are the same shape but the Centuri nose is much shorter. Once again having the original kit I am able to buy a nose cone from Semroc that is close and sand a little to match the original if needed. Once I have all the parts to clone the original I bag it up and store it for possible future use.

DSC_0236 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0240 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0244 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0251 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0259 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0260 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0263 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0269 (1024x681).jpg

That looks like a nice smooth finish. Are you sanding between coats of Aerogloss?

I will get everything ready for cloning.

The good thing about having the original kit is that I can make an exact clone minus brown tubes. Now that Semroc lives on we can continue cloning these old kits. The only time I will buy 2 of the same vintage kit is if the parts are hard to clone or I just really like the old kit.

You really did a good build on this one. I like the way the decal on the leading edge of the fins appears to change their shape.

Are you still going to post pictures of the fins with a ruler next to them? Body tube measurements would be a bonus!

SCIGS I've seen alot of your build threads but this one really shines. Nice job.

Thank you for the excellent drawing of the fins. What diameter is the body tube? It's hard to tell since Centuri used different tubes then Estes does.

Series 8 or 9? Something else?

Again, the Sea Killer turned out great looking

... I do sand in between each coat of sealer for a smooth finish. Chris, This was a tough rocket to mask but I do like the colors Centuri used.

Any tips for a nOOB about the sanding part?

I notice your fillets are minimal, yet perfectly neat. How?

This is a 8 BT. The fins are brushed with Aerogloss Balsa sealer and sanded smooth after each coat with 400 grit sandpaper. Lately I have not been priming and the sealer does a good job filling the grain. The fillets are just plain white glue.

Ok, you've inspired me to finish off an extra Photon Probe kit I had laying around, using this method.

I got some Aerogloss Sanding Sealer and am impressed with its fast drying and easy sanding.

Question: What can I use to thin and / or clean up this stuff?

Back