Yearly "Newton Tally"????

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopRamen

SA-5
Reaction score
I see in some folks Signatures their "Total Impulse Burned" or similar, expressed in Newtons ofcourse.
Do they actually go through some type of calculation or is it as simple as "I have so far launched a C11, and therefore my total is 11 Newtons."???:confused:
Just thought it might be fun to keep track this year of "How Many Newtons I Burn", as some put it.:)

I flew a H128 and an H242, 180 and 240 Neutons for a total of 420 Neutons for the year....I don't fly enough :p

The 11 in C11 designates that the engine produces an average thrust of 11 Newtons. What I (and just about everyone I have seen) keep track of is the total impulse, which is in Newton-seconds (Ns). That information can be found on the packaging for most motors, and on https://www.thrustcurve.org/ for the rest.

We should do for rocketry what Bill James did for baseball and come up with better stats. How about (square root of total impulse in N-s) × (recovery deployment percentage) X (1 - (percentage of rockets lost to accidents, crashes, trees, etc.)).

There. It reduces the importance of total impulse while penalizing sloppy rocketry habits. So a skillful LPR guy could easily outscore a careless Level 3.

Keeping track of how much impulse you have used up in a year seems a little weird to me.

How much impulse you have expended is only slightly interesting. How well you expended it is the important thing...:)

Keeping track of how much impulse you have used up in a year seems a little weird to me.

How much impulse you have expended is only slightly interesting. How well you expended it is the important thing...:)

I would not share it in a Signature or otherwise, as it would be a pathetically small number, and the Altitude achieved would be equally pathetic by most folks standards, as I build to my liking, and performance can go suck it!
I was just curious. I think eggplants answer makes sense. I obviously know what the numbers in the Motor Designation mean, but I was wondering what people refer to with their "Total Newtons Burned This Year" figures.
I think that perhaps it really does'nt interest me enough to keep track of it, nor would it be any measure of ability or skill.
I think what I may do is just forget about it.:)

The figures come from www.my.rocketreviews.com (run by TRF member Jadebox) where you can sign up for an account, log your flights, and then check your "Flight Stats". There may even be a script that adds the information to your signature.

I just do a cut and paste from there and update my sig manually.

No pissing contest, just information. Some post their cert level, some their club affiliations, and others quote from their favorite movie or TV show. Whatever boosts your rocket.

If you don't care to see signatures in posts, there's a setting in your TRF control panel for that.

The figures come from www.my.rocketreviews.com (run by TRF member Jadebox) where you can sign up for an account, log your flights, and then check your "Flight Stats". There may even be a script that adds the information to your signature.

No pissing contest, just information. Some post their cert level, some their club affiliations, and others quote from their favorite movie or TV show. Whatever boosts your rocket.

If you don't care to see signatures in posts, there's a setting in your TRF control panel for that.

Thanks Kit, for the actual and comprehensive Answer to my Question. (Insert Thumbs up Thank You Smiley here).

Attempted 1 D11 launch last year... Didn't ignite. Total Impulse 2014: Zero.

We should do for rocketry what Bill James did for baseball and come up with better stats. How about (square root of total impulse in N-s) × (recovery deployment percentage) X (1 - (percentage of rockets lost to accidents, crashes, trees, etc.)).

There. It reduces the importance of total impulse while penalizing sloppy rocketry habits. So a skillful LPR guy could easily outscore a careless Level 3.

I love this idea! We can then have an All-Star team and an MVP! I love it! And, puny guys like me who don't launch HPR (yet) would still be able to compete. This idea has merit! 😋

Sorry sports junkie here too, although for football, hockey, and soccer.

Just joined this too! Thanks for the info!

You would have to add in come complexity multiplier to account for the fact that larger rockets that go higher are harder to get back. So maybe normalize by the average recovery deployment and loss rate for a class of rockets?

Anyone keeping track of Fig Newtons?

Haha! 2014 total Fig Newtons: 0. I'm a bit behind, I guess.

Figuratively speaking, yes.

One sleeve lasts 120 Fig Newton Seconds

So we've seen candy rockets, now will we see cookie rockets?

I once mocked this in my signature with a "6,343,234 newtons all C motors", and I was harassed with incessant comments of that it was not possible, and PMs of, "Quit lying no one has ever launched that much."

So I suggest you don't knock the Newton count! :facepalm: :bangpan:

TA

Last edited:
While I didn't keep track as the year went I did, as a result of this thread, I establish a Rocketreviews account and populated my High power flights from last year. I hadn't used it before, but it really is a nice way to organize the data and pictures. While I burned a bit more than I thought (13 flights for 3785 Ns) I was more pleased that I had 13 successful High Power flights (9 were DD) including a 3 motor cluster flight...a pretty good first year of High Power. Guess what I just did to my second year of high power flying by saying that...

You would have to add in come complexity multiplier to account for the fact that larger rockets that go higher are harder to get back. So maybe normalize by the average recovery deployment and loss rate for a class of rockets

Maybe a separate statistic that accounts for altitude. The Rocketry equivalent of the slugging percentage in baseball, which is used together with on-base percentage when rating hitters.

We could compute the same stats for NASA And index our own scores against theirs. SpaceX and Orbital Sciences too!

You would have to add in come complexity multiplier to account for the fact that larger rockets that go higher are harder to get back. So maybe normalize by the average recovery deployment and loss rate for a class of rockets?

This is what happens when the engineers get involved...

I don't usually keep track simply because my annual launches have been pitifully few and far between. Sort of like knowing that reporting your mileage to accounting is pointless when the only place you ever drove was to the end of the driveway and back.

People that count their Newton seconds are just dropping a dopple of icing on their cream filled doughnut. It's an unnecessary statistic that someone tried to make important. It ain't! But, go ahead if you like. Who am I to say what's really important? Hell, some folks think just because their motors are bigger than your rockets deserves merit........................nuff said?

Back