MDRA ESL-199 Annual Christmas Tree Launch Higgs Farm, MD Jan 17-18

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgreger

Reaction score
Being single and not wanting to deal with the hassle of having a Live tree, I will only be launching rockets,
But anyone that can make it, even if its just to watch is in for a treat, always a great spectacle!

Unfortunately I won't be there Saturday, but planning on the following on Sunday:
Upscale Archer on a 6 Grain K711 White est 4000ft

Frenzy on J430 White Thunder est 3200ft I have added a full length coupler to the airframe(s) for added strength to the MadCow tube. Want to compare altitudes/speed on the J430 to see what the difference in adding a little over a pound of weight so I can get a better sim with it. Hoping to go with a 4 Grain K at Red Glare with it.

Marvin Magg on an I223 Skidmark (depending on the condition of the field)

Last edited:
Thanks Bill, nah, I'll watch everyone else! Next year I'll have one.
Gonna be busy getting what I bring into the air. Have to talk to Dave Weber about a project also.

I have great hopes of making this launch...
I know some of the other guys from Radical Rocketeers and METRA want to as well...

I sure do hope it warms a bit though....

Teddy

12 deg this morning plenty warm for me, of course I grew up just south of buffalo.

12 deg this morning plenty warm for me, of course I grew up just south of buffalo.

He's not kidding. His office is down the hall from mine and he has the thermostat. It's not much warmer *inside*.

Hoping to be there. Not sure what I'll launch. May just watch and buy stuff from AMW. Well, I do want to test my Leviathan on a cable-cutter. Been set-up for it since August, but haven't been to a launch.

And slightly warmer on Sunday, might not have to bring the heater after all!

I hope the weather is as good as predicted, I want to fly my mini dark star with wfcook's new flyaway rail guide. It will probably fly nakid since the av-bay won't be finished. I am focusing on getting the eggfinder installed in the nose cone this week.

So what's everyone bringing to fly, beside🎄?

Here's my lineup:
5" Black Brant VI on a L1200 red (first flight)
Bellatrix - Intimidator 6 on a M2500 slow blue
Narcissa - custom 8" on a N3300 white
X-Celerator on a K950 white
1/2 Scale AMRAAM on a J something ..

It's been a long wait for a good weekend at Higgs. Let's hope the forecast holds. ☀️

I plan on being there.
I hope to try out some new goodies.

Predictions has:

Highs of 40 on Sat
with a 40% chance on rain on Sunday.

JD

Weather reports make no sense, Weather.gov has Partly Sunny and 49 on Sunday, weather.com has 90% chance of rain and 48.

Of course it is Maryland, if you don't like the weather, wait an hour!
And MDRA's slogan is: The Weather will be there, and so will MDRA!

Last edited:
I really, really hope it doesn't rain Saturday. It has rained on every Saturday launch since July. I went to the August one and got wet, only launched twice. Skipped Sept, Oct., Nov., and Dec. due to rain. I can't go on Sundays. :rant:

Yeah, I'm looking at no less than 8" of snow here in Columbia, MD. The launch yesterday closed around 1pm and is cancelled for today

I can't believe it took this long for you guy's to pick up on this..............
I expected a flurry of big cracks in about a minute flat...............
You guy's gotta be kiddin me....
Talk about slipping......
You're all loosing you touch for sure.....lol...

And Dave,,, are you serious,,, you LIVE there.....lol...

Teddy

Back