NSL 2015

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My Garmin does not accept longitude and latitude, just addresses and intersections. If the launch is being held at the pin in the map, then you should probably just come straight out and tell people, "The launch site is at the intersection of Centipede Rd. and Super Sod Blvd. in Orangeburg, SC. This site is a part of the Super Sod Farm proper and is off Five Chop Road (US Highway 301)." That way all the hundreds of attendees who have never been there and are planning to use GPS don't have to make extra clicks to figure it out.

Hotel accommodations can be reserved at the Days Inn (803) 534-0500. Ask for the “Rocket Club” discount.

3086 Five Chop Rd
Orangeburg SC 29115

Yup! And I just got mine tonight. FWIW, I did ask the lady if that was a weekend Jehovah's Witnesses were being booked, and she said. "no". So, no competition with them that weekend.

Cool. Maybe there's still a room available in the Watchtower.

After supersod closes: yes.

I would wait till we arrive because you need to see where the admin sites are before you set up.

The deadline has not been decided. It will likely be 30 days out.

The deadline has not been decided. It will likely be 30 days out.

Maybe they don't realize how much rain this side of the country gets. 30 days is a long shot for this area. I understand the mathematics of being prepared for a large crowd, but there are people coming as far as Michigan to attend this launch. This I know. That deadline needs to go up to AT LEAST 2 DAYS before the launch. Chuck.......throw the book down! People need more than this, to feel comfortable in their shoes.
I will personally not attend if adequate leeway is not considered.

There is an issue with Paypal. It will not be 2 days. Paypal holds the money for 21 days, so tt will likely be 30 days. We have to pay NAR after the launch. If you want to discuss it, talk to me at a launch.

If you are worried about the rain, pay on the field. The only thing you are going to miss out on is a fliers bag with coupons and motor box stickers.

Last edited:
What is every one building for NSL?

Room reserved, vacation request in..

Not likely to bring anything new, however you never know.

Planned at the moment

• Que$tionable Inve$tment - M1297
  • Irritator - K1100
  • Frankenrush - H999
  • Thunder & Lightning - I300 to H225
  • BBX/Terrier - H something to G something
  • 5.5" Jayhawk - J something
  • 2.1" Jart
  • Patriot After Dark - H170 Metalstorm

Odds and ends from there. Need to find a good Mexican restaurant.

This will be my second longest trip. Argonia was the way heck and gone longest, and O'burg has been on my wish list for a few years.

At the last launch, the NAR Membership discussed prior approval for L impulse or higher. It is not a big deal, just a simple submission of the flight and recovery plan.

I plan to fly a M and will comply.

...the NAR Membership discussed prior approval for L impulse or higher. It is not a big deal, just a simple submission of the flight and recovery plan.

No big deal, here in the upper right corner of the USA we are used to BFR review. Any idea when you will be posting the process?

I will post an update in the next week. I need to discuss this with our senior advisor. I think we were going to use a flight card.

Last edited:
Hey Al, don't forget to bring your small trailer, Oops sorry, hahahahaha.
We will be glad to see ya!!

What type of motor?
yea, yea , it's a G1315. :wink:
How high will it travel?
What's the Waiver? "OK" :cool:
Is it a heads up flight?
Only if you care.
Has it been flown before?
yes, and crashed too!

Planned flight.
"M" something
"L" something
"K" something ( nite time )
"J" something
"H" something
"G" somethings
and maybe just maybe a few "F240's"

The night launch will occur. Not sure of the night because it might change to SAT or SUN. The waiver will be 3000 feet.

What type of motor?
yea, yea , it's a G1315. :wink:
How high will it travel?
What's the Waiver? "OK" :cool:
Is it a heads up flight?
Only if you care.
Has it been flown before?
yes, and crashed too!

Cool

My favorite -> the 75mm, 5 grain G motor!

Don, any chance of a run of Nitebows for NSL?

Chuck, is this form REALLY necessary? I for one make last minute decisions based on several factors. I agree in principle but I also think there definitely needs to be on site real time options for something and not have to be limited to 30 days out. I don't know what you plan as an approval process, but I will gladly volunteer to be a roving RSO for situations like this that I know will arise. Telling a person he cannot fly because he didn't get prior approval is just wrong in my book. i cite a previous Freedom Launch where Jim Harris from Gorilla Rocket Motors gave me an L motor as a demo freebie. On site options really need to be available in my humble opinion.

Chuck, is this form REALLY necessary?.

Gheeesh.... quit being a cry baby Jimbo. Yes it is.
Just fill out the form for several rockets flying on whatever the limit you set & be done with it!

Example I wish to fly rocket X on nothing bigger than a M blankly blank & I will go no higher than 6000 ft . Every thing I intend to fly, has flown here before, no higher than ---- on no bigger than ----. Then come fly what ever you want.

You know darn well this is to eliminate any rogue flights, on way too big a motor that could break the waiver, thus endangering our field. If you didn't know....now you do.

We all know the abilities of each other, who has flown here before. BUT there will be a whole bunch of others that have never been here.
Better they know they can fly what they bring... beforehand ...than getting here and told "NO" If you really want to question the rules as they pertain to you....do it in private... not openly

Chuck filled it out... I did...Don did...all of us are, we ain't complaining, so why should the head of the Carolina Rocket mafia start bitch'n?
It's just a guideline to prevent bad things from happening. Heck all your stuff are boat anchors anyhow....get approval on M's then fly anything in them smaller with out a problem, and so on down the line.
Just do it.:smile:

Last edited:
I'm making a list of what I'm going to fly. Since I'm coming from Germany I need to be careful how much stuff I will be able to take along.

Would there be any interest in Estes Coldpower flights?

The prior approval is a safety decision. It is an added step to ensure we have the equipment needed and to prevent waiver busting.

This is hopefully going o be a big launch. This will help ensure it is a safer one.

Ok form submitted

There is a bit of form silliness. The field for certification team is required and I am not doing a certification flight.

C'mon Chuck, you are military and a doctor. With even a half-hearted effort, that form coulda been way more invasive and difficult. You are not even trying to annoy people.

I can get together with CJ and apply my experience in contracting with Microsoft to make it at least 5 pages long.

Last edited:
One question - Staging of smaller AP combinations. What level of hysteria can I expect?

• Special approval form
  • Peer review
  • Medieval court of chivalry
  • Blind drop for cash bribes
  • Requirement for more electronics than used to fly the space shuttle
  • We are too scared so don't bother to ask
  • Or, hopefully -> it is a proven kit, bring the darn thing and poke a hole in the sky.
I have two PML kits
  • Thunder & Lightning (I300 to H225)
  • Mini BBX / Terrier (I357 to small H)
Both are stock and do not have the room for anything more than the basic altimeter & timer.

Just looked at the preflight form and it is not much different than a flight card. Not really a big deal. On large launches I fill out flight cards in advance when possible anyway.

had fun filling out the forms and playing with the pencils.
There maybe additional questions, like: Are you NUTTS? or WTF?

Muhahahahahaha:dark:

Back