NSL 2015

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is an option. I will try to make one. It will not save them online, but it will let print them.

Example data.jpg

This is an example of the input. Jim Hendrickson shows how you can input data and give enough for approval without naming a specific motor.

Jim Scarpine: I hope this helps.

Chuck, that isn't the issue. We still need on site options. Hell, a good RSO will suffice. I propose something like what they are doing at LDRS, and I will gladly volunteer for that position.

Jim,

That is not the issue. This is a safety issue and it works with other clubs.

I am working on generating a PDF now. I am in the process of redoing the flight cards.

CJ and I are getting ready to show the NSL 2015 commemorative Rockets.
Two rockets from us will be released shortly.
1) the Punisher 38mm airframe, 29mm motor tube, E thru H motor.
2) SkyWolf, 38mm airframe, 29mm motor tube, E thru H motor.
Both will come with NC, 17" airframe, fins, CR's, motor tube, Shock cord, Parachute and Decals.
Pricing info to be release soon.

Sneak teaser>>>

I'd urge again a very careful proofreading of all of the pages of the website. I'm seeing numerous typos, misspellings, and grammatical errors on pretty much every page. The website has good organization, and I think it answers most questions a person would have about attending the launch, but the writing errors make a bad impression that will reflect on ROSCO and NAR. I'd compare it to a rocket that is well built and well constructed, but with poor paint and finishing --- it will fly fine, but doesn't look good once you get up close.

I'm not trying to be some kind of grammar/spelling nazi here --- that's one thing I can't really stand on the forum. Forum posts are very causal writing and shouldn't be held to a high standard of writing. But a website that is likely to be used by thousands of people for a national event is something that deserves to shine.

I'm attaching a one-page Word doc of the text of the home page. I made changes with Track Changes on. If you open the doc in Word and use the Review feature, you can switch between different views to see the Final Showing Markup, which will show you all the changes, or you can see just the Final version or just the Original version.

View attachment NSL-Home.docx

CJ and I are getting ready to show the NSL 2015 commemorative Rockets.
Two rockets from us will be released shortly.
1) the Punisher 38mm airframe, 29mm motor tube, E thru H motor.
2) SkyWolf, 38mm airframe, 29mm motor tube, E thru H motor.
Both will come with NC, 17" airframe, fins, CR's, motor tube, Shock cord, Parachute and Decals.
Pricing info to be release soon.

Sneak teaser>>>

Great kits.

Are you volunteering to proof it? I welcome volunteers.

Yes, I volunteered to proof it in an earlier post, and I also volunteered to you personally in a PM to proof it offline so it wouldn't clutter up this thread. Did you not get the PM?

Will the Track Changes method work for sending proofreading comments and edits? It's generally a lot more efficient than trying to describe the edits.

Exactly my point, other clubs allow on site decisions, that's what Dan Michael is doing at LDRS. I volunteer.

Yes, BUT they have a 15,000ft standing waiver with over 20,000 ft call ins. BIG difference, there is quite a bit of room for calculation error.
We have only 10,000ft waiver with little or no room for error.

I for one, don't care to lose our field, because someone couldn't fill out a simple form.

There is plenty of room in the comment box to list several rockets & motor combo's...so you don't have to fill out more than one.

The idea is to get all the details [or most of them] out of the way BEFORE the launch, as the guys running this thing will have plenty to do during launch hours. I'm sure a few decisions will have to be made on site [there always are] but to limit them to as few as possible, to free up the time needed to run the darn thing.

Do YOU really want the responsibility of making the onsite call as to what can/cannot fly. I wouldn't want to be in your shoes if some thing goes wrong.
Ahead of time calls, give the decisions time to be fronted to a committee ,or at least discussed among fliers who have the advantage of group experience, to approve/dis-approve of the flight.

LDRS has a huge ratio of big motor flights compared to a NSL sport launch. The bulk of our flights won't be even close
I really don't see a problem with the system in place.

I'm sure if some one shows up with a flight not pre-approved we can make the needed accommodations for them to fly, but the fewer of those the better.
Chuck's just trying to make that the exception....not the rule.

Rest assured there will be plenty of us there to rule on flights. I'm sure this will be a topic at the launch this weekend, to be worked out.

You & I along with many others are capable of asking a few simple questions, sizing up the weight, height & diameter...along with motor to determine within a minute or so, if it should be allowed to fly. So I really don't see a problem.
But why wait till the last second, just get it approved ahead of time, that's all we're trying to do.

OMG..... Crazy Jim has gone bananas ;-)

It is difficult to balance the need to make the federal govt not mad at you and keeping the flyers (who BTW are all know it all's) happy. I am in a lot of clubs, the folks who run NYPOWER in Geneseo, ny have a 9k waiver and struggle with these fears and a few more as well, they have an antique air museum in the landing zone.
This may seem a bit over officious and maybe it is, but it is your event, I don't think it will hurt attendance to much as most NAR folks are accustomed to these sorts of things.

Last edited:
We discussed it at the last launch and this seemed better than requiring a sim file.

Jim.... if you ever need something simm'd... shoot me the details and I will draw up a file for you. :)

Jim.... if you ever need something simm'd... shoot me the details and I will draw up a file for you. :)

loveexplorer.jpg

Back