NSL 2015

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am still working on it. It is corrected now. I will have the cart up soon.

It showed up as free, but it has been corrected. It is also not live yet. I am waiting for the paypal to go into the account.

You can order raffle tickets. Anyone wanting to donate to the raffle bin, your donations will be greatly appreciated.

Also, sign up as a vendor.

Thank Chris. When you figure out what, I will post it to the raffle page that I am building. I also added you to the vendor page.

Chuck I have TONS of wordpress experience especially event related if you want any help Please feel free to ask!!

I got paypal to work. Thanks. Let me test it tonight and I will open it tomorrow.

Chuck I have a bunch of tweaked Code I created to help with some of those plugins. I like how you removed the wp-admin page to force people to use your registration page.

Done. I am not sure how that happened. I have deleted that 10 or 12 times. I must not have save it.

Thank Bill. I figured it out.

Last edited:
Chuck if i were you i would turn of the comments, that could become a mess and a lot of extra work for you. I tried that for a bit on the LDRS31 site MESS
If your not going to let them comment then it looks like crap.

Last edited:
What is every one building for NSL?

Chuck, did you see that heli job I launched? It was a prototype for the much bigger one being assembled as we speak. I call it The Cloud Chopper. The LCO guy at the last ROSCO I attended, was quite impressed with my take on the construction techniques. It was similar to a Rotaroc, but with some unique changes? I have that and 3-4 new scratch builds to finish up. I'll bring the Madcow Cricket and the DX3 just in case I get a notion.

It showed up as free, but it has been corrected. It is also not live yet. I am waiting for the paypal to go into the account.

You can order raffle tickets. Anyone wanting to donate to the raffle bin, your donations will be greatly appreciated.

Also, sign up as a vendor.

Be careful selling raffle tickets through paypal. they will lock your account / hold your funds unless you are a non-profit. (and may still do so, even then.)
Go ahead, ask me how I know... :facepalm:

What is every one building for NSL?

I finished up a Falcon Heavy today. Currently working on a high power Falcon 9, 38mm minimum diameter rocket, and altitude-targeting rocket. I will also be building an illuminated rocket for the night launch and something for the Memorial Day launch. Don't know what yet, though.

One test flight of my Binary Sushi 3" Darkstar. Other than that.... I'll just be taking pictures (assuming I go. I have to work out a few more logistics).

A couple of recommendations about the website:

I'd ditch things like the "Posted on January 4, 2015 by Charles Haislip" on the home page and "Leave a Reply" elsewhere.

So people don't have to go find the detailed schedule to know when it is happening, you may want to put the dates on the home page --- "We are very excited to host NSL 2015 in Orangeburg, South Carolina, May 23 -25." (Also, who is the "we" in that statement? A specific club or is it Orangeburg the city? Might want to clarify or rephrase.) Or possibly add the dates in the banner that appears on every page --- "2015 National Sport Launch — May 23 - May 25"

You may want just one or two sentences summarizing what exaclty NSL is on the home page, right after, "The National Sport Launch is the National Association of Rocketry’s pinnacle sport rocketry event." Add something like, "Flyers of all levels are welcome to register and fly. Spectators may watch for free. There will be vendors, contests, and raffle prizes. Come join us for NSL 2015!"

I understand what you are trying to do with "Come have a blast from the grass…" and the picture of the grass. But most people will be more interested in the "blast" than the "grass," so you might do better to have a rocket image than a grass image. Also, people like me who have never been to a sod farm might not understand the sod farm connection, and they'll be left coming up with their own interpretation of what the "grass" is all about.

I hope this feedback is helpful.

More Website feedback:

For people who are driving, it might be good to have an address they can plug into a Garmin or TomTom type GPS. Sometimes rural locations don't have a good address for GPS, but most GPS can work with a cross street, as long as it is a real named street.

Under the "Local Information" drop-down, get rid of colons after "Lodging" and "Restaurants" on the menu labels.

Under "Local Attractions," the page has several capitalization errors with capitals left off of place names and the beginnings of sentences.

More Website feedback:

For people who are driving, it might be good to have an address they can plug into a Garmin or TomTom type GPS. Sometimes rural locations don't have a good address for GPS, but most GPS can work with a cross street, as long as it is a real named street.

Under the "Local Information" drop-down, get rid of colons after "Lodging" and "Restaurants" on the menu labels.

Under "Local Attractions," the page has several capitalization errors with capitals left off of place names and the beginnings of sentences.

It is already there. Bottom of the page: https://nsl2015.com/rocketry/local-information/travel-information/

Chuck if i were you i would turn of the comments, that could become a mess and a lot of extra work for you. I tried that for a bit on the LDRS31 site MESS
If your not going to let them comment then it looks like crap.

Thanks Bill. I have it so that I have to review and approve all comments. I may turn them off.

I understand what you are trying to do with "Come have a blast from the grass…" and the picture of the grass. But most people will be more interested in the "blast" than the "grass," so you might do better to have a rocket image than a grass image. Also, people like me who have never been to a sod farm might not understand the sod farm connection, and they'll be left coming up with their own interpretation of what the "grass" is all about.

Thanks. I will be replacing the photo. I need a good photo of a rocket in the grass.

Thanks. I will be replacing the photo. I need a good photo of a rocket in the grass.

Sounds good.

Overall, I think the site looks pretty good. Just a few tweaks and some close editing for typos will make it great.

I work in a communications field, and nothing goes out to a client without multiple rounds of peer review and many pairs of eyes examining every tiny detail. In this kind of work, everyone is used to giving and receiving feedback without getting annoyed --- even unsolicited feedback is welcome in the interest of a better product. I'm the worst typist in the world, so i always welcome a close review. Sometimes I forget not everyone is used to it and can get irritated by it. So I hope my comments didn't come across as unwelcome nit-picking. Just trying to be helpful by doing what I do!

Anyway, good for you for taking on this job. It's a lot of work. Let us all know if you are interested in a review and more feedback. The site wil probably be visited by everyone attending the launch and an even larger national audience who is interested but won't attend, so it would be great if it could be as clean as possible. Let us know if we can help.

Edit: Let's take the feedback offline if you want. It's more efficient that way anyway. I'll PM contact info.

Last edited:
Back