the restricted research forum

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like a breakdown in the system somewhere. Some info from the VIEW SITE LEADERS page from the QUICK LINKS dropdown menu:

Research admins - bobkrech, johnly

Super Moderators - bobkrech, cwbullet

TRF Admins - Admin, peartree, willmarchant

I do believe venting is good for the soul but perhaps a targeted campaign will get the correct outcome. Good Luck. As Mike Fisher said, ya gotta want it.

Last edited:
I have been talking with him over PM. He has made many legitimate attempts to get access, over the course of 3 months.

Tmacklin,

Those are great sources. The book with the Amazon link is my favorite.

Kevin used to handle the requests, now another Admin has taken over the vetting and they are getting approved now on a regular basis.

I have two things to say about this situation:

1. Larry is now banned as some of you have undoubtedly noticed. Larry told me why and frankly, that was a dumb thing he did and he got what was coming. Don't ask what it was.

2. Words cannot express how disappointed I am that this flier will not be able to participate in these conversations. Larry is a great guy and has years of experience and he is now unable to share his wisdom with this community. A loss to be sure on both sides of the situation. Since this forum has advertizing (which I have not complained about) the owners are making money off of OUR content that WE provide. Which is fine by me but in light of that I do not believe it is too much to ask to provide a timely response to inquiries of this nature. If Larry were going about it the wrong way maybe a response here to set him straight would have worked. But no, this had to sit and fester for THREE MONTHS until Larry did what he did. Frankly, if I were in his shoes I might have done the same thing.

You want happy users that provide content that gets visitors here and clicks on your ads? Then respond in a timely fashion. It's pretty freaking sad it's come to this and I think a sincere apology from both Larry and Admin to each other is warrented and a reinstatement of Larry's membership in TRF ought to be restored.

-Dave

Nobody owes anyone anything. Research was alive and well prior to TRF and will no doubt continue after it is gone. I found his attitude a bit unfortunate and what ever he did to get poked with the ban-stick only confirms. Remember, you willingly participate in this circus for your own entertainment. You are owed nothing and if tomorrow I try to log on only to find out that I was taken to the E woodshed then my life will continue. Much as Mr pouty pants will continue.

I was made aware a few weeks ago that the Research forum had outstanding requests. I acquired the e-mail address from the previous Volunteer and then discussed it among the other Admins and Moderators, now someone is back to monitoring the e-mail and approving accounts. There was just a few weeks lapse and the person mentioned was on the list. However, he sent me a horrendous PM just prior that was absolutely unwarranted, comparing us to terrorist groups, I'm sorry for a delayed response but this behavior won't be tolerated. Moving forward another Admin will approve accounts on a monthly basis.

Grouch...I said warranted not owed. I also said "ought to" and not "required." There's a difference. Thank you for reminding me of the utterly obvious fact that I voluntarily participate in the discussions here. I don't know why but apparently I needed the reminder even though that has nothing to do with post #39. :facepalm:

So do you think it's fair that I expect timely responses if they want my/our content which obviously has value? I don't think that's unfair at all.

Mr pouty pants

Seriously? Was that really necessary?

Glad to hear that this has been fixed. It's a shame it couldn't have come sooner but it is also a shame that he had to act the ridiculous way he did and I've even told him so. Larry could have added valuable content. He's a pretty smart cookie and has been in rocketry much longer than 95% of the people here. Well, nothing more I can do about it now just wish it could have ended better.

Here are some things to look at:
https://thrustgear.com/documents.html

Also, go to the TQC experimental rocketry forum and search on a top. Many of us have commented on there over the years.
https://tqc.yuku.com/forums/2/EX-Talk-Experimental-Rocketry

TQC just sort of slowed down and petered out. I don't know the exact reason why but perhaps it was having to respond to "strange" questions/posts pretty often as opposed to a closed forum where 99% of the time even basic questions are well thought out.
It goes more along the lines of a poster stating what specific they don't understand about a particular topic as opposed to some sort of blanket question the should be covered in a chapter in a book. Kurt

I was made aware a few weeks ago that the Research forum had outstanding requests. I acquired the e-mail address from the previous Volunteer and then discussed it among the other Admins and Moderators, now someone is back to monitoring the e-mail and approving accounts. There was just a few weeks lapse and the person mentioned was on the list. However, he sent me a horrendous PM just prior that was absolutely unwarranted, comparing us to terrorist groups, I'm sorry for a delayed response but this behavior won't be tolerated. Moving forward another Admin will approve accounts on a monthly basis.

Ummmm, being threatening is not the way. I'm surprised you didn't tell him to take a hike. He coulda made a joke out of it like "Still ringing, Still ringing, Still ringing." Or like, "Did all the research admins get consumed standing too close to a big burn pile?":shock::flyingpig::grin:

I mean, the pile of knowledge will still be sitting there even if it takes 2 months to get in. It's still searchable. (to a degree) :wink: Kurt

I find the entire concept of the "Restricted [Research]" troubling. It's as if we were into the Atomic Energy Commission website and trying to view information that was a potential threat to Homeland Security. I find this both annoying and off putting and it is a major reason why I intend to remain a Lone Wolf or as some have labeled, "Basement Bomber".

Bull Feathers! :no:

Last edited:
I was under the impression it was done to be legally compliant. That's the structure I inherited.

Hi Bull (couldn't resist; sorry :) )

The answers to many questions which one could potentially ask about research motors can be used to do "bad things" in this world. Freely distributing this info to the world could get us - hobby rocketry people - looked at in a bad light. Many of the people who have the most knowledge also know enough that some of the answers could also potentially run up against ITAR restrictions. However not everyone knows what really goes under ITAR as it is a subject of interpretation; the laws are deliberately vague. Did you know that export of R45 variants fall under ITAR? Discussions about refactory liner and nozzle material? Lots of etceteras. The easiest way to deal with all this is to make the research forum open only to US citizens (partial handle on ITAR), adults (so are responsible for themselves), and L2 certified (those who under TRA are eligible to actually practice some of what we might choose to discuss).

It may not be the world we like, but it is the world we have. So we deal with it.

There is a great deal of info available on the web about most any aspect of interest with respect to rocketry. There are excellent texts at various levels. It continues to amaze me that so few seem to take any advantage of it. Most would rather ask a question first rather than research for the answer first. It's the lazy quick gratification world we now live in.

What the research forum really provides is a place to discuss things with those with experience, rather than just read the research.

Gerald

I find the entire concept of the "Restricted [Research]" troubling. It's as if we were into the Atomic Energy Commission website and trying to view information that was a potential threat to Homeland Security. I find this both annoying and off putting and it is a major reason why I intend to remain a Lone Wolf or as some have labeled, "Basement Bomber".

Bull Feathers! :no:

I don't find it troubling at all. Nothing wrong with self-policing and if it keeps a 17 year old from getting literally burned, the exclusivity will have served it's purpose. Kurt

Within a month of becoming L1, I requested access and got it within 1-2 days. A L3 guy can't get access after 3 months? BTW, I don't build motors, but find the info interesting. Perhaps some day though.

Also, to the idea that Larry doesn't post enough, who determines if someone posts enough?

If there is an established minimum post criteria, and that is why admin is denying him, they should respectfully inform him of the criteria so he can go achieve the minimum or choose it's not worth it to him. But no communication for 3 months is very rude. I feel for him.

"Research Rocketry" is nothing more than a mechanism to provide some measure of respectability to those who wish to construct their own motors. It is actually Amateur Rocketry is disguise. All the laws in the world will never deter an inquisitive child from doing dangerous things nor a terrorist from committing acts of terror. I think education is the key to protecting children from foolish acts, and keeping them ignorant only serves to temp them with forbidden fruit. As for terrorists, nothing will deter them short of a 7.62 mm round between the eyes. :y:

DAllen, you seem to be personally invested in this for some unknown reason and that is unfortunate. I was not saying you as in you personally but a generic you as in we all or anyone that participates. Nowhere in my post was any of it addressed to you personally. The guy did not get his way and showed his back side. Blew up some might say. I would say he weeded himself out. Airing your dirty laundry on a public forum when you (there is that word again) don't get your way is weak sauce. Pouting and throwing a tantrum and comparing the Admins to terrorist is childish. Goodness gravy, nothing in the research section is worth freaking out over. As to your question of necessity, none if this is necessary and neither was that comment.

... And it's not the only place to discuss Research. Tripoli members also have the Tripoli member's forum available.

He posted to the TRA list and has responses, so he is getting answers. Found a light in the darkness.

M

DAllen, you seem to be personally invested in this for some unknown reason and that is unfortunate. I was not saying you as in you personally but a generic you as in we all or anyone that participates. Nowhere in my post was any of it addressed to you personally. The guy did not get his way and showed his back side. Blew up some might say. I would say he weeded himself out. Airing your dirty laundry on a public forum when you (there is that word again) don't get your way is weak sauce. Pouting and throwing a tantrum and comparing the Admins to terrorist is childish. Goodness gravy, nothing in the research section is worth freaking out over. As to your question of necessity, none if this is necessary and neither was that comment.

I am personally invested because Larry is a good friend of mine. His online behavior is not a reflection of who he truly is. So when someone calls him and immature second grade name I do take offense to it. Glad to see you are admitting that name-calling is unnecessary.

Seriously? Someone's actions and behaviors are no reflection of who they are? You are not going to be able to sell that sauce to anyone. In all candor, I was actually going for Mr. Poopy pants but my auto correct changed it to pouty. I will admit that up front so there is no confusion on your part.

Honestly, I'd like to get access to the research forum but the US Citizen requirement is too onerous for me right now. I can become one in 5 years so I have to wait that long... can't they make an exception for permanent residents? (they are practically treated the same as citizens anyways except they can't vote, and they eventually become one anyways)

Enough is enough. This thread is locked.

There were several issues in obtaining access to the research forum, and once they were discovered, they were resolved.

Regardless, foul language and inappropriate behavior is not tolerated here. Life is just too short.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back