Anyone ever use a vinyl "wall decal" on a rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThirstyBarbarian

Reaction score
I've got a larger sized rocket (an LOC Warlock), and I'm interested in putting a large decal on it. I've found a few cool "Wall Decals" on Cafe Press that have designs that might work. Has anyone ever used one of these on a rocket? One of the concerns I have is that the adhesive sounds like it is not very strong and is designed to be able to be peeled off and repositioned without leaving any residue or damage, which is great for a wall, but maybe not a strong enough bond for a rocket. Here is how it is described on Cafe Press:

Wall Decals are printed on heavy grade vinyl with a unique adhesive which allows the decal to be removed and re-applied multiple times. Perfect for dorm rooms, kids rooms, doors, and more. Whether you're looking to decorate the kids room or your man cave, you'll find perfect, one-of-a-kind wall decals at CafePress. Shop for custom designs that are awesome for the nursery or school - including ones for every topic from animal and soccer decals to math and reading decals. Plus for big kids find wall decals for football, drinking humor, family names, holidays and more. These large decorative decals are easy to apply and remove, so you can change your art as your mood changes. Plus they add that personalized touch to whatever wall you put them on, making your house a home with fun colors and fresh flavors of self-expression. Shop among thousands of wall decals at CafePress, as there's sure to be designs perfect for any room that you want to bring to life.​

Has anyone ever used one? Is the adhesive good enough for a rocket decal? Is there a way to make the decal stick better if necessary?

I've got a larger sized rocket (an LOC Warlock), and I'm interested in putting a large decal on it. I've found a few cool "Wall Decals" on Cafe Press that have designs that might work. Has anyone ever used one of these on a rocket? One of the concerns I have is that the adhesive sounds like it is not very strong and is designed to be able to be peeled off and repositioned without leaving any residue or damage, which is great for a wall, but maybe not a strong enough bond for a rocket. Here is how it is described on Cafe Press:

Wall Decals are printed on heavy grade vinyl with a unique adhesive which allows the decal to be removed and re-applied multiple times. Perfect for dorm rooms, kids rooms, doors, and more. Whether you're looking to decorate the kids room or your man cave, you'll find perfect, one-of-a-kind wall decals at CafePress. Shop for custom designs that are awesome for the nursery or school - including ones for every topic from animal and soccer decals to math and reading decals. Plus for big kids find wall decals for football, drinking humor, family names, holidays and more. These large decorative decals are easy to apply and remove, so you can change your art as your mood changes. Plus they add that personalized touch to whatever wall you put them on, making your house a home with fun colors and fresh flavors of self-expression. Shop among thousands of wall decals at CafePress, as there's sure to be designs perfect for any room that you want to bring to life.​

Has anyone ever used one? Is the adhesive good enough for a rocket decal? Is there a way to make the decal stick better if necessary?

Have not used these particular CafePress decals but we do use a good bit of Floor mat and removable Vinyl for various signs and graphic displays. Generally if the material is thick enough to be removed without stretching and still allow multi applicaitions with the same adhesive I wouldn't think it would stick very will to our finished model bodies. Might be OK but you'll likely have to seal the forward edges at very least against the lifting force of the airflow.
Only way to know is to try one or two on something you don't care to much about. If they are removable you might try applying one or two on an existing model and fly it a couple times to see what happens? If the stuff stays put with several flights it will likely be OK. Even "Removable" Vinyls become permanent after a couple weeks exposure to UV sources like the Sun or flourescent lighting.

Have not used these particular CafePress decals but we do use a good bit of Floor mat and removable Vinyl for various signs and graphic displays. Generally if the material is thick enough to be removed without stretching and still allow multi applicaitions with the same adhesive I wouldn't think it would stick very will to our finished model bodies. Might be OK but you'll likely have to seal the forward edges at very least against the lifting force of the airflow.
Only way to know is to try one or two on something you don't care to much about. If they are removable you might try applying one or two on an existing model and fly it a couple times to see what happens? If the stuff stays put with several flights it will likely be OK. Even "Removable" Vinyls become permanent after a couple weeks exposure to UV sources like the Sun or flourescent lighting.

Thanks. That's sort of what I thought too --- the wall decals would probably have a problem with the airflow and would need to be sealed somehow, or a stronger adhesive applied. Cafe Press also has the same designs in smaller vinyl decals that are not described as removable, so I am assuming those use stringer adhesive. But those are in smaller formats, like 3x3 or 5x5, and nothing in a large size like the wall decals. Also, those are all on square, or round decals, and are not trimmed to the edge of the image. I don't want a large, white, square or round background. What I would really like is a single large decal about 16x12, and a few in the smaller 5x5 size, all of them trimmed to the edge of the image, and all with permanent adhesive. I may need to have them done custom, but the off-the-shelf designs I am looking at are pretty good and not very expensive.

You can always use good ole 3M super "77", spay a light coat on before applying.....it ain't going anywhere!

Even "Removable" Vinyls become permanent after a couple weeks exposure to UV sources like the Sun or flourescent lighting.

You have never used Oracal 631 then...easy peasy with no adhesive to remove even a year later outdoors in the Vegas sun.

These stripes on my Tiger Wolf are made of the same material your talking about---No problems at all !! You can clear coat it as well to help hold down the edges.100_1544.JPG100_1545.JPG

You could always find the pattern you want and look up stickershock here on the forums or your favorite local vender and have them make a wrap that will be permanent.

I have used this method on a few rockets now. Stickershock does great work and will work with you to get the design you want. I also have a local vender that I can give a project to and have it done up fairly easily. Stickershock did my madcow goblin here on the forums and my local vender did the wrap and decals for my Quest Lil Grunt models and the wrap for my Mega Red max also posted here on the forums.

It takes some patience and practice to get wraps on, but if you take your time results are fantastic!

See ya,
Rod

Barbie Rocket was all done with Wall "cling" decals over fluorescent pink paint.
Lots of coats of clear over the top... and maybe a little luck. :)

BarbieRocket.jpg

These stripes on my Tiger Wolf are made of the same material your talking about---No problems at all !! You can clear coat it as well to help hold down the edges.View attachment 251228View attachment 251229

Barbie Rocket was all done with Wall "cling" decals over fluorescent pink paint.
Lots of coats of clear over the top... and maybe a little luck. :)

Thanks guys! I've decided to go a different route with the project I have in mind, but it is good to know that it will work. Both of you projects turned out great!

Back