Building the 3D Rocketry's "FS2"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate4

Reaction score
I bought this kit at Christmas because I loved the fin design and wanted to get back into the hobby with my Dad.

I am using Titebond II for the whole build and JB Weld for the retainer.

Started with the motor tube.

Glued centering ring to motor tube at the 7-1/2" mark and added a bead of glue to the outside of ring/tube connection.

FS2-9.jpg

Last edited:
Next step cutting the slots.

I cut out the fin template and taped it to the body tube being careful to line up the marks at the edges. I used a fresh hobby knife blade and just followed the slot template outline. It cut through pretty easy after about three times cutting. I had to do some slight shaving and sanding on the slots, but they came out pretty decent and were easier than I thought they would be to cut.

FS2-1.jpgFS2-2.jpg

Fitting the fins in slots and attaching motor tube.

FS2-3.jpg
With a little sanding of the slots the fins fit really well.

FS2-10.JPG
Motor tube glued in and looking good. Dripped some glue down around the ring to make a stronger connection.

Filling the spirals on the body tube.

FS2-12.jpg

Using Elmer's wood filler thinned to a paste. Works well and easy to sand.

Smoothing out the fins:

Applied and sanded 2 coats of thinned wood filler to smooth out the surface of the fins. Very light sanding was required to get a smooth finish.

FS2-11.jpg

Baffle Build:

Glued in the baffle stop and front baffle plate. Installed eyebolt assembly and used CA on threads leaving the eyebolt to spin freely.

FS2-4.jpg

Glued on the rear baffle plate and attached the kevlar shock cord.

FS2-8.jpg

Smoothing out the fins:

Applied and sanded 2 coats of thinned wood filler to smooth out the surface of the fins. Very light sanding was required to get a smooth finish.

View attachment 253740

I'm not sure if that's a rocket approved mixing cup.:p Nice workmanship must have had skills before the pause in building rockets. Welcome to the forum.

That's my boy!! I've been giving him a few pointers to make the build a bit easier.:pop:

Last edited:
Back