Help with UFO's

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunterdude

Reaction score
This is my first UFO kit and first paper rocket. It was built from low grade computer paper 20 lb as a learning experience, I have a nice glossy one printed on good 60 lb card stock but wanted to practice first. It came out at 0.8 grams but needs a launch lug and the plans call for fine music wire "antenna"...are these just for looks? Or does the UFO flip over and land on these after boost? As I had my gram scale out I weighed the Quest UFO as well, 7.45 grams. The glossy 60 lb card stock one should come out around 3 grams plus antenna if they are needed? The light one is surprisingly stiff but needs a coat of clear to give some moisture resistance. A big thank you goes out to Fliskits for providing these free....I had lots of fun tonight building this model!

IMG_20150106_225417_190.jpg

Yes, the saucer flips over but you don't really need the wires. They do look good but I like to keep them simple.

Nice looking UFO's you got there.

One thing about the wire I can think of as a plus. It could help keep your rocket out of the wettest part of the grass when it lands.​

Nice little rockets; I just hope Quest and Mr. Flis paid the patent fees to the appropriate alien species these “UFOs” were reversed engineered from before producing these copies.

Bad things happen to those who cross the “Grays” and “Reptilians”; just ask the pilots and crew of Flight 19.

Thanks for the compliments, and for shedding some light on the purpose of the wires turning into landing gear on the way down, that is pretty cool.
I would like to build a second UFU and mod the inner fins such that they are angled like a fan...then perhaps weight the perimeter with lead shot for a flywheel effect...should make an interesting recovery flight.
I think we are OK on the patent fees as I am powering with old school rocket boosted motor....have you seen the price of warp-drives lately? :)

Well, I printed a second UFO on photo paper and have began the cutting and folding. I do not think photo paper plays well with my water based glues, if you have a favorite glue for photo paper, please share? I have weighted parts down with books to dry, perhaps there will be pics tomorrow...

Things seemed a bit off....so I got the original to compare. I am a bit concerned about lift off weight of the photo paper model....apparently you must Not get UFOs wet, and never ever build them after Midnight!...we may have to resume this build in the Mid power thread?..upon closer examination the photo stock model is a 400% enlargement...let's see, 6MM motor X 400% Equals 24mm or something in the D to E class!

IMG_20150111_222444_713.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah I thought that paper looked awful thick, then I saw the x-acto in the background & knew something was up..Dang that midnight thing!

Things seemed a bit off....so I got the original to compare. I am a bit concerned about lift off weight of the photo paper model....apparently you must Not get UFOs wet, and never ever build them after Midnight!...we may have to resume this build in the Mid power thread?..upon closer examination the photo stock model is a 400% enlargement...let's see, 6MM motor X 400% Equals 24mm or something in the D to E class!
That should fly great! 24MM composites like the E11, F12, or E6 or long burning estes E9s would fly well.

Hey Hunterdude:
You are aware that this is the Micro Maxx forum right? If building Micro Upscales or larger motor models post it in the LPR or MPR forums where they belongs.
It's been a very BAD week!

Saucers are great for windy days. Might fly vertical but atlas there is not a long walk.

I apologize for straying to far from MMX...for those who where following this thread I will post a build thread in mid power if it fly's well. I hope your week improves micromeister!

Back