Hyperloc 1600 L3 build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckjohnson

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've been working on my L3 Hyperloc 1600 since November. I've been posting my progress to my webpage. I just wanted to share it here:

https://cjastronomy.com/l3

I'll keep updating as I make progress. My shakedown flight is scheduled for March, and my Level 3 flight will be on the Black Rock in April.

Hi Chris!

I also used this kit as my L3 project. Great kit - no doubt. I looked at your webpage and your build approach is solid. Your rocket will be significantly different than mine though. I slapped 2 sleeves of fiberglass over the airframe, and then 2 more heavy wraps of fiberglass over the fins. Overbuild? Yes. Strong? Also yes. My fully loaded weight with motor was around 40lbs. The sim numbers you posted indicate yours will be about half the weight of mine. I think your all-up weight will be around 23-25lbs. Its difficult in practice to achieve the theoretical manufacturer advertised weight. Take that with a grain of salt from a guy who wraps every rocket in CF of FG.

I looked at your sim numbers and agree with them. I too used the Loki M1882 for certification, and that motor kicks-out about 600lbs of thrust for 3.2 seconds. I want to point out that you are planning to fly an un-reinforced cardboard airframe to Mach 1.2 while pulling 21Gs off the pad. I've heard things like this can be done, but haven't actually seen it in person. My L3 cert flight peaked out at 10,150ft. Yours will be lower because you expend energy going supersonic, despite being significantly lighter than my design. Again, take my thoughts with a grain of salt. I haven't even tried something like this.

I'll keep following your webpage and hope to see a successful L3 flight in March! Good luck!!!

Sparky
Tripoli #12111, L3
NAR #85720, L3

DSC02991.jpg

Looks like the kind of project I would build if I were to do an L3. My one comment would be that it appears your cert motors are going to put your bird squarely in the transonic region. As I understand it that's a bad place for any rocket to reside for any length of time. I've been told that it's a good idea to punch through the transonic or stay below it (>0.8~ mach). I'd suggest picking another motor and/or talking with your L3CC. Your fins are plywood (the original composite material) and not as susceptible to flutter like a homogenous G10. So I might be worrying about nothing. Still, it's a good L3CC conversation to have. I'm not really an expert on the subject so I'd be curious as to what they say. Good luck and I expect videos.
:pop:

-Dave

I too built the HL1600 for my L3 flight in March 2013. Awesome kit! Like Sparky, I wrapped the BTs with 2 layers of glass. Also, my fins were made from G-10 material. I don't believe that's an option anymore.

Mine weighed 31.5 lbs on the pad with an Aerotech M1297W and reached 9,187ft at apogee. Since then, she's flown 3 additional times:
L900DM - 6,300 ft.
M1500G - 9,800 ft.
K700W - 3,950 ft.

Here's my build thread with pics/videos - - https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?48800-L3-Build-HyperLOC-1600

Best of luck with your L3!

Chris

Thanks for the feedback guys! I appreciate it.

Chris: I've watched all of your videos on Youtube, and you were one of my inspirations for going with the Hyperloc 1600.

I launched my LOC Norad Pro Maxx on a J340. It went Mach 1.02 with cardboard tube and plywood fins. I'm sure the Hyperloc 1600 will fly great without any more reinforcement.

Dave: You're right about transonic, but the rocket will only be transonic for around 2 seconds according to Rocksim. I wouldn't want to linger in the transonic region as the drag increases greatly on the leading edges of the fins, but two seconds should do fine. I ran an AeroFinSim analysis on my fins, and the divergence speed for them is around 1250 mph.

Sparky: With the M1350, I'm only looking at around 15 Gs off the pad. I was surprised at that. My Norad pulled 23 Gs according to the altimeter when I did my L2 flight. I'm confident in the structural integrity of the rocket. My biggest concern was the fins on landing, which is why I fiberglassed the roots. When it lands, hitting the edge of the fin will cause a pivot effect on the body tube, creating a high pressure on the root edge at the motor mount. The fiberglass should keep that pretty sound.

My biggest concern is landing damage, which I think is just me being a nervous nelly. I'm using LOC Angel chutes for the drogue and main, so it should land nice and comfy.

I look forward to more discussion with you guys. I really like the quality of this kit. Barry and Mark over at LOC Precision have both been great and very helpful also.

Sounds like you've done your homework then. Good stuff!

Yeah, flying out west I can see how worrying about the landing is of concern. I've never been there but I hear it's pretty dang hard ground. If you were here in Michigan on a sunny 40 degree day in a plowed corn field a 30 fps decent rate would likely not yeild any damage. Out west - not so much lol. When it comes to chutes I wonder what the out west experts would recommmend for a decent rate on a rocket like this. I have to believe the answer would be south of 15 fps...

-Dave

I'm using Loc Angel chute and drogue. My descent is simulated at around 20 fps. My Norad has hit much faster than that and did fine,but I wouldn't want to try it again. ;-)

I also used this kit as my L3 project. Great kit - no doubt. I looked at your webpage and your build approach is solid. Your rocket will be significantly different than mine though. I slapped 2 sleeves of fiberglass over the airframe, and then 2 more heavy wraps of fiberglass over the fins. Overbuild? Yes. Strong? Also yes. My fully loaded weight with motor was around 40lbs. The sim numbers you posted indicate yours will be about half the weight of mine. I think your all-up weight will be around 23-25lbs. Its difficult in practice to achieve the theoretical manufacturer advertised weight. Take that with a grain of salt from a guy who wraps every rocket in CF of FG
Sparky
Tripoli #12111, L3
NAR #85720, L3

View attachment 251113

Great L 3 project...I'm curious where the picture was taken, doesn't look like around here in MD or VA......

I've only been to Black Rock once, last year, but was surprised to find the playa to be on the soft side. Not as soft as a plowed corn field, but still on the soft side. There was a little bit of crust on the surface, but underneath it seemed soft. Driving out to the flightline the soil was loose enough that you could easily get kinda squirrely with the back end by using a moderate amount of steering wheel input.

My rocket came in somewhat hot at about 80 fps with the parachute tangled, and took a 2 foot core sample. No damage to the performance rocketry fiberglass tubing.

In April, I'd imagine the playa could still have standing water.

Last edited:
Back