Hybrids For 2015

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With inspiration from Denis I am planning a 3 Contrail K265 cluster for LDRS.

A cluster of hybrids? Hmmm sounds really interesting. Can't say that I've ever seen something like that before...And yet giving me more incentive to go to LDRS this year.

Interesting.

I'm planning on bringing a minimum diameter EX M hybrid if it is ready in time (it is designed overbuilt and with some extra mass and drag to keep it safely under the call-in waiver, specifically for this summer's LDRS). I don't have my own GSE though.

The rocket uses a Binder Designs fincan, a bunch of bare metal, and recovery and electronics stuck on top. It looks cool if you like bare metal MD birds. The motor - current planned version - uses swirl combustion and some control on the pressure/temperature/density of the N2O. It operates at a bit lower pressure than most N2O hybrids but makes up for it with greater N2O density in the flight tank. Right now I'm starting the search for a cryogenic pressure relief valve that I want to use...

Right now it is a combustion chamber with fincan, a tube for the N2O, a remachined nozzle, and various parts, chutes, and electronics. Once I get (or fail to get) the valve then I'll be machining the injector assembly and forward bulkhead. I'll start a thread on it sometime around then.

I hope to static test the motor in a few months at Battle Park. Actual flight is designed to hit about M1.7.

Gerald

I have to buy or build my own GSE this season, as well as a couple rockets, and then I will be flying some Sky Ripper motors. Ultimately, I would like to fly research hybrids.

My goal is to find someone who actually has RATT 29mm reloads in stock.

At the moment my contrail hybridz flight plans are
- one or 2 cluster flights J or K (big max 5.5)
- 2or 3 with the brand new eagle-tree stabilized X7 but only "I" impulse
- 2 with X4 with K
- 2 eagle claw with K
- one epic flight or 2 with a brand new secret scale monster 4x 75mm (2 cluster +2 pods configuration), could be everything between 4xK and 4x M...could host 2 large Lokis if Scott reminds me in time ;-)
- 2 or 3 with my hybrid badazz defender III with G...

I bet 100 pounds of nitrous.
And I Await a brand new Pratt GSE...

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Rocketry Forum

At the moment my contrail hybridz flight plans are
- one or 2 cluster flights J or K (big max 5.5)
- 2or 3 with the brand new eagle-tree stabilized X7 but only "I" impulse
- 2 with X4 with K
- 2 eagle claw with K
- one epic flight or 2 with a brand new secret scale monster 4x 75mm (2 cluster +2 pods configuration), could be everything between 4xK and 4x M...could host 2 large Lokis if Scott reminds me in time ;-)
- 2 or 3 with my hybrid badazz defender III with G...
I bet 100 pounds of nitrous.
And I Await a brand new Pratt GSE...
Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Rocketry Forum

Wow, you go!
I am planning to launch my old Level 3 rocket with a M-1428 and later with a M-2281, Contrail is the only one I use.
My older Pratt Launch box and GSE that are 5 year sold still works great.
I found a prototype, 4 years ago, of a NOS Liquid senor that flashes a bright LED when the tank is full
Dave A

Dave,
the good news are:
- Doug finishing his new GSE with integrated vent sensor
- John bringing new MARSA gadget ...for us the hybrid flyers ...with vent sensor/telemetry output in 2015

So you may choose option 1) or 2) and your vent issue is solved for all times
;-)

Dave,
the good news are:
- Doug finishing his new GSE with integrated vent sensor
- John bringing new MARSA gadget ...for us the hybrid flyers ...with vent sensor/telemetry output in 2015

So you may choose option 1) or 2) and your vent issue is solved for all times
;-)

Have you received any of Doug's new hardware yet? I have been talking with Doug thru email, and I am about to pull the trigger and purchase his new improved launch system.

Have you received any of Doug's new hardware yet? I have been talking with Doug thru email, and I am about to pull the trigger and purchase his new improved launch system.

I have the GSE equipment I bought about 5-7 years ago.
I have been pleased with all of Doug's equipment and would buy most anything he builds.

Anyone can throw together some solenoids and hoses but Doug designs the package for your needs and it will last.

I have his Universal Launch System, from 7 years ago and still works like a champ, I even have the 300' long wire system with line drivers, amazing work!
Dave A

I have a minimum diameter 3" N motor that I'm almost done machining and going to the test stand. Should come in around 20K Ns. Plan is to fly it in June at one of our regional launches. I've also been progressing forward on a throttable hybrid motor that should also be in the N class with the current tank and with the intended tank it will be just about 30K Ns.

I haven't flow a HPR rocket in a year but have been testing a bunch of motors and new concepts. I haven't seen a hybrid flown in a couple of years at any of our local launches.

Edward

Welcome back Edward! I thought you lost to the demons what eat seasoned rocketeers. Pics and specs would be awesome, and most definitely looking forward to hearing more of what you are working up for this year.

I'll have more pictures as I get things further along.

3" N Motor
3" OD x 2.75" ID tubing 6061 Al
84" long, total rocket length 108" long
This is an upscale RATT M900 motor
N1250, 19,500 Ns total

Projected altitude is just over 35,000'

Throttleable Hybrid

This motor uses a 5" x 4.5" ID casing and is for a BDR. It barely fits in a 5.5" LOC tubing due to the control valves. The end goal is to use it with a tank that holds 12.5 pounds of nitrous for the end design. The 127mm case is larger than needed, but fit available tubes and liners. I'm guessing if we go a mile with the motor I'll be happy - it is a BDR after all.

Edward

@ Edward, pls keep posting about that beast, it is extremly sexy on the paper :)

@ dragon64: yeah I opened my 2015 hybrid rocketry year yesterday... 3 motors prepared, 2 beautifull flights and one non-starter.

We tried first to fly my beloved eagle-claw 4 with a K sparky at mid speed. Could not start a proper launch procedure as the fill and dump valves were immediately leaking. After several test we dismantled both fill and dump valves on the field. It was just dirt inside. Easy repair on the field...but the ignitors have been twice frozen and defrozen and were simply refusing to ignite anymore, too humid...Maybe I was swearing too much about the delivery delay of my black sales order 2014..so the eagle claw refused to pleased me ;-)

So we continued with another scratch bird in 4", a light weight glassed phenolic with a lovely contrail J...in WHITE SMOKE and slow nozzle. It went very long into the bavarian skies. WHITE SMOKE is the new fuel formula from contrail. As the name says...it has NO smoke *lol* but an incredible tense white flame....Went just perfect in the sky and cool recovery.

So we finished with the mighty KRAMER X4, now her flight #4, on her favorite fast nozzled K555 BLACK GOLD, a 1200Ns peak thrust beast to lift-off the 38 pound nazi gorilla :kill:
It went just perfect all the way thru.
Now I had a new friend onboard: the full kevlar tubular harness from ONEBADHAWK that did the work just bravely!
Film of said flight coming soon..

Now what I cannot really tell.... is that we share the field with an official student group of the german spatial state agency .. and a 30 men crew and 3 trucks... against me and my friend. They had tons of HW, flat screens under tents etc...and a comparable rocket to our phenolic in one in diameter and length. They went also hybrid, but homemade.
We went good. They had a professional setup.....but...no real high power experience. Result: fin flaterring and broken in flight, motor explosion just above and last but not least a destroyed harness and hard landing pieces without chute.

National Space Agency vs amateur rocketeers 0:2 :kill:
But I must say they were very nice guys to discuss and they even shared nitrous with us, as we went empty with this non starting wildman bird.
It was a great saturday!

Last edited:
Nice report legranddudu... how long before we can get some pics of that new propellant in action?

Good news today, I have a quote from Pratt Hobbies for their new GSE system. I am ordering the system with all of the upgrades (pressure guage; and heavy duty nitrous solenoid), I can't wait for it to get here. The next item on the list is to get my 20# tank tested and filled, which takes a couple days, and then have a fill line built at a local welding shop. With any luck, I will have everything I need to be launching by mid-spring or early summer.

Nice report legranddudu... how long before we can get some pics of that new propellant in action?

Good news today, I have a quote from Pratt Hobbies for their new GSE system. I am ordering the system with all of the upgrades (pressure guage; and heavy duty nitrous solenoid), I can't wait for it to get here. The next item on the list is to get my 20# tank tested and filled, which takes a couple days, and then have a fill line built at a local welding shop. With any luck, I will have everything I need to be launching by mid-spring or early summer.

Woaa... Doug has finished his new GSE... good news..please post pics asap....I thought I would be first to get one *lol*... How did you made it?? :)

Anyway, finally the film from the flight #4 of the KRAMER X4 last sunday in Bavaria... it was freezing cold. You may appreciate the guys walking backwards.. all professional rocketeers from the German National Space Agency and their higjhly graded students... they were pissing their pants *LOL*...even if it was only a K555 (54mm)....they obviously they never heard about the reliability and safety of the contrail motors *gg*...
Against my big fat lady (38 lbs!) made it bravely, and we tested my first harness from Teddy @ onebadhawk with success...For those who understand German, please note the sexy comments from the cam lady. I wish I could meet her now and have a drink...what she says about the launch..is very sexy *g

The video may be a little dissapointing for most of you but you can enjoy the sound..typical hybrid roaring... and those that fly hybrid understand the passion...

View attachment 256480

[video=youtube_share;an9c_lSrDGI]https://youtu.be/an9c_lSrDGI[/video]

Attachments

• X4.jpg
    X4.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Wooooo,,
Wayyy too cool Denis.....
Those Hybrids sure do roar huh....
I really like everybody backing up on the countdown....lol...

Teddy

This is a test of the first generation (5 years ago) of the throttle style hybrid. This had not throttle on it, but we were just testing it in full open position.

SKIP TO 1:20 FOR THE STATIC TEST

[video=youtube_share;gh_lxh5dY0Y]https://youtu.be/gh_lxh5dY0Y?t=1m20s[/video]

Edward

Last edited:
Woaa... Doug has finished his new GSE... good news..please post pics asap....I thought I would be first to get one *lol*... How did you made it?? :)

Anyway, finally the film from the flight #4 of the KRAMER X4 last sunday in Bavaria... it was freezing cold. You may appreciate the guys walking backwards.. all professional rocketeers from the German National Space Agency and their higjhly graded students... they were pissing their pants *LOL*...even if it was only a K555 (54mm)....they obviously they never heard about the reliability and safety of the contrail motors *gg*...
Against my big fat lady (38 lbs!) made it bravely, and we tested my first harness from Teddy @ onebadhawk with success...For those who understand German, please note the sexy comments from the cam lady. I wish I could meet her now and have a drink...what she says about the launch..is very sexy *g

The video may be a little dissapointing for most of you but you can enjoy the sound..typical hybrid roaring... and those that fly hybrid understand the passion...

Very nice, that Kramer flies so well, great job Denis. As for the young lady's voice on the video... she sounded really excited about the flight!

This is a test of the first generation (5 years ago) of the throttle style hybrid. This had not throttle on it, but we were just testing it in full open position.

Edward

Nice burn, is this propellant one of your tried and true remedies?

The propellant is the 2nd generation (I'm on the fourth now) of my foam based propellant. Going back in my notes the density of the final propellant was a bit over 0.040 LB/IN^3. 3 pounds of nitrous oxide in the tank and just over 7000 Ns produced. The At/Ai ratio was a bit higher than I like (new injector style that I quickly retired). It was 12:1 and resulted in the screaming from the motor. I prefer a deeper roar and those come between 15:1 and 20:1.

The 75mm N uses the 4rd generation fuel and I don't know what iteration of my injector. It is hopefully going to the test stand in a couple of weeks - I just need to make a couple of stand adjustments.

Edward

Edward,
I am impressed by the performance. 7.000Ns with 3.3 lbs of nitrous is extremly powerfull. My Kramer did deliver 1/4 of the power you mentioned with same amount of nitrous...!
It would be great to have some pictures of the motor, his components, how it is assembled. I am very curious.

Nice anyway that hybridz are progressing. Very exciting.

How much fuel is consumed? What does the ISP calculation look like?

There is just under 3.5 pounds of fuel consumed during the burn. For ISP I took total thrust/ propellant consumed (1575 lbs/sec / 6.5 lbs propellant consumed).

This is a picture of the injector:

DSC00904.JPG

Edward

I officially ordered my GSE from Doug past week. No word yet on shipment, as I do not believe has completely finished the new mods. I asked that Doug take as long as he needed, to make the best hybrid GSE he has ever made... As mentioned prior, I ordered the ULS Module 1 & Module 2 with the upgraded flow valve, and pressure guage. I figured I may as well get what I would need, as I'm sure I wll need it later as I begin to progress into larger motors etc. I will be sure post images when I get the new equipment.

Both the clubs that I have flown with locally have available hybrid support, though it is aging. I have found that even including top quality components the systems can be a bit unreliable. Between stuck solenoids and different fill/fire arrangements it can be frustrating. We had a system where the continuity check would start filling, then the fire button would fire the igniter. After a season it was switched to a dedicated channel for each operation. This way there wasn't any confusion in the fill/fire sequence.

This was one of my largest motivations to go to a pre-filled system - the tinkering with the on the pad GSE. The most expensive GSE I've put together for pre-filled systems cost just over $75.

Edward

On the heels of an Alpha Hybrids post, I have a related update; Tomorrow I will be picking up my first set of Alpha Hybrids hardware and reloads. This is the once certified I250 motor that Alpha certified prior to the hybrid market collapse in 2009. Pretty excited about the acquisition, as there is also some GSE and nitrous source tank involved in the deal. I will try to get some images posted by the weekend.

Latest posts

Back