Fly-away rail guides: 54mm 3D-printed available now

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm looking forward to the 29mm ones. How's the progress? I've got 4 feet of blue tube that needs to be put to use. I think these are great!

I just found this thread and don't have the time (or inclination, sorry) to read the whole 180 posts, so I apologize if any of this is redundant.

1. Awesome job. Adapting Tim's fly-away guides to high power is something I imagine lots of us thought about, but making it happen, and making a producable product out of it is something else again. Hats off to you, sir.
  2. 3D printing is good for prototypes and small production runs, but I'd suggest you look into outsourcing to an injection molding or other mass production shop as the business - uhh - takes off.
  3. Make them in more sizes, pretty pretty please. :smile:
  4. Make them in custom sizes (3D printed) please. (I'm designing and plan to build a 40% upscale Big Birtha around this heavy wall paper tube I've got with a 2.25" OD.)
  5. I'm pretty sure you could make a quick few hundred bucks by writing up the development process for Apogee's newsletter. Write the article with emphasis on the development process primarily; the product is the result of the process, not the focus of the article (not that you don't get to tout the product a bit too.) Something like the article in this issue. Use a little background - regular rail buttons, Tim's original fly-away article - and in my humble and totally unofficial, unauthorized opinion it's a can't miss.

I want a set in 38mm and I want a set in 4 inch for my LOC EZI-65 and I want a set in 2.25 inch for Large Laura and I want a 3 inch set for something elsel I'll build one day and I want some low pwer sets for BT-50 and BT-60 and... You have awakend the yellow eyed monster of averice.

But seriously, great job.

3D Printing really isn't a bad way to make something like this!

If you have reliable printers you can putter along at a few each day with a minimal amount of overhead. No risk of getting a 5-20k mold and finding out someone came along with a better design tomorrow. Plus if you need more parts, get another printer. They keep your shop warm in the winter for free if you have enough of them :)

As for incremental sizes, If you were to set up the design parametrically, you could generate .stl files for tube sizes in small increments with minimal extra time. This is how I now do custom fincans.

~Andrew

3D Printing really isn't a bad way to make something like this!

If you have reliable printers you can putter along at a few each day with a minimal amount of overhead. No risk of getting a 5-20k mold and finding out someone came along with a better design tomorrow. Plus if you need more parts, get another printer. They keep your shop warm in the winter for free if you have enough of them :)

As for incremental sizes, If you were to set up the design parametrically, you could generate .stl files for tube sizes in small increments with minimal extra time. This is how I now do custom fincans.

~Andrew

Andrew, When do you get to Red Glare? I'll be parked front row, probably second spot on the left, and hanging out at the AMW trailer a lot. Come by and say hello.

Nick Southern's AMW Parrot on an I800, probably pulling 130 G's, with the guides clear of the rocket 5-6 feet off the rail:

image-0269.jpg

image-0270.jpg

And the slow-mo video (1/5 speed):

[video=youtube;1MX1ZMR64kY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MX1ZMR64kY[/video]

I have one of the 38s. When do you anticipate having the 54s available?

Thanks.

NikeMikey

I am working very hard to make this happen. I was hoping to be done by now. I am trying desperately to have some for LDRS, but with testing it's going to be close...

I do anticipate having a supply pretty soon, though.

I'd say it might be a good idea to make 'em a "hair" oversized because a layer of duct tape or even thin foam tape can compensate for a loose fit. I added a couple of strips of duct tape to the fore and aft ends of my fly away rail guides and they're
absolutely perfect. Kurt

Thanks. Hoping to get one before AIRFest (labor day).

NikeMikey

I think if they're not done by Labor Day I'll have to throw myself under a bus...to avoid a much worse fate at the hands of either my vendor or my wife, or both.

I think if they're not done by Labor Day I'll have to throw myself under a bus...to avoid a much worse fate at the hands of either my vendor or my wife, or both.

Weeellllllll Bill, As long as you don't have any mugshot posted of yourself online, I don't think any hostiles will be able to make a visual ID of you. You'll be safe then. Kurt

Weeellllllll Bill, As long as you don't have any mugshot posted of yourself online, I don't think any hostiles will be able to make a visual ID of you. You'll be safe then. Kurt

Just look for the guy hiding under his car at LDRS. :)

Nate

Both of the aforementioned parties already know what I look like, and if I don't finish, they'll definitely be hostile :wink:

I apologize if this has been asked and answered before. I searched the thread but did not find the answer and wish I had the time to go through the whole thread.

How are these supposed to fit on the rocket? Should they grab the airframe so the guide will not slide on the rocket when closed, or???

I have a set of each of the 38 for my 38mm rockets and am looking to finally get to try them next weekend, if the weather permits.

Thanks for a great product and any help with my question.

Steve

Was all ready to use these today and then I forgot the electronics mount for my MD! Probably the most disappointing thing I've done in a while. I guess I'll see these launch next launch...

Was all ready to use these today and then I forgot the electronics mount for my MD! Probably the most disappointing thing I've done in a while. I guess I'll see these launch next launch...

Try going to a launch and forgetting all of your motor cases! I don't know what was worse, the embarrassment or the disappointment.

I apologize if this has been asked and answered before. I searched the thread but did not find the answer and wish I had the time to go through the whole thread.

How are these supposed to fit on the rocket? Should they grab the airframe so the guide will not slide on the rocket when closed, or???

I have a set of each of the 38 for my 38mm rockets and am looking to finally get to try them next weekend, if the weather permits.

Thanks for a great product and any help with my question.

Steve

They should be back by the fins and the fins push them forward. I worked a lot on various ways of making them not slip and have yet to find one that is satisfactory, although Crazy Jim likes to put a rubber band lengthwise around each half of the shell to shim the thick-wall guides for thin-wall rockets, and reports that this holds pretty well.

They should be back by the fins and the fins push them forward. I worked a lot on various ways of making them not slip and have yet to find one that is satisfactory, although Crazy Jim likes to put a rubber band lengthwise around each half of the shell to shim the thick-wall guides for thin-wall rockets, and reports that this holds pretty well.

I find that by using different thickness/size rubber bands, stretched length wise over the standard size.
I can use them on thin wall and various different size tubes, without ANY slippage.

Use on one side only if need be, or both, depending on tube diameter.

The rubber band easily compresses, grabbing the rocket, not allowing any slip to hit fin or damage paint!

DSCN3825.jpg

Great Idea!
That sure looks like it would solve for the slight variations in airframe size.

I'm getting ready to test the 29mm ones on Saturday! Going to be a good day. :)

Hi Robert,
I have one of the 38mm Fly away rail guides, that I picked up from AMW in January. Love it!
I and a few others, would like to get some 29mm Fly away rail guides. Any word on availability date?

Hi Robert,
I have one of the 38mm Fly away rail guides, that I picked up from AMW in January. Love it!
I and a few others, would like to get some 29mm Fly away rail guides. Any word on availability date?

I'm just helping with the testing of the 29 MM guides. Wfcook is the mastermind behind these. ;) as for the test, I wasn't able to get that rocket to launch so next date looks like August 29th

Hi Bill,
I have been generously redirected to ask my question of you.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by kweaver
Hi Robert,
Anxiously awaiting in Tucson, AZ! :)

Back