Cable Cutter method/technique refined

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stealth6

insert witty tagline here
Reaction score
I spent a whole day flying today working on and refining my CableCutter methodology and setup. And I've finally worked out a setup that works perfectly "every time". In the past when I've used a CableCutter, it has worked well "most" of the time, but I've had enough minor issues that it always made me just a small bit nervous to fly. It seemed that the system was just a little finicky. I wanted more confidence, and now I have it.

What I've settled on is nothing new, and I'm not doing anything that someone else hasn't already figured out. But I'm excited enough to have found a setup that I'm confident in, and I figured I'd share it here so others can benefit.

The main thing is that I'm using a small pilot/drogue chute that pulls the burrito open cleanly and consistently, and deploys the main chute a whole lot faster than without it. I - and others - have tried different ways to do this in the past with inconsistent, or less than satisfactory, results. The key to success is what I learned here on TRF from this post by WoShuGui (see post #3) - https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...ut-Main-for-LOC-3-90-V2&highlight=V2+woshugui. That little ball works perfectly to keep the burrito from opening prematurely.

So, I sewed a loop into the top of one of my chutes, and attached a 13" drogue with a short harness to that utilizing the foam ball similar to how WoShuGui showed. Then I played with a bunch of different ways of packing the chute and rolling the burrito so that the pilot (when the cable cutter releases) rolls open the package smoothly. The result - 7 flights today with two different rockets and every one of them had picture-perfect deployments. I watched the whole descent from apogee event to mains deployment through binoculars and things worked exactly as I wanted them to. Nice controlled descents, nothing tangling or twisting, everything hanging the way they should, and nice quick controlled and consistent mains deployments. Sweet.

I encourage everyone who has been having less than perfect success with their CableCutters to give this setup a try. It works great.

I'm psyched because I'm currently working on a new 54mm minimum diameter rocket that's got a few unique features. It will rely on a CableCutter for dual deployment, and now I have a LOT more confidence that things will work as I want them to when this rocket is ready to fly. Preliminary sims show altitudes of 18,000'+ and I REALLY don't want my mains to deploy early, or things to get tangled on the descent. With this setup I'm confident they won't.

thanks TRF folk for guiding me to this place, especially WoShuGui for the foam ball idea,
s6

Looked at the picture in the other thread and having trouble seeing the setup. Do you have pictures of the configuration you are using with detailed pictures? This seems like a good setup, just can't picture it.

Thanks for the thread... I'm currently working on a project that could benefit from using cable cutter. Couldn't the slow deployment problem be solved by cutting the cable at a higher altitude, say 800/1000? Also, any tips on mounting an altimeter in the nosecone? What kind of vent holes, etc.? Or, can someone point me in the direction of a good source for learning more?

Awesome build. Thanks for the pics.
I'm wondering about that nosecone-mounted altimeter. The rocket I'm building, I wouldn't have room for a switch like you've got.
So a couple questions:
1) How do you vent the altimeter in the nosecone? Using an RRC2 or RRC3, don't I need venting for their sensors?
2) Any recommendation on how to switch the altimeter?
I've got a 38mm tube in the nosecone to house the altimeter (about 8.5" long), and it's a 3" airframe.

Looked at the picture in the other thread and having trouble seeing the setup. Do you have pictures of the configuration you are using with detailed pictures? This seems like a good setup, just can't picture it.

Agreed. I can't get my arms around this. What does the foam do?

The cable cutter gives me "unfurling anxiety" as I wait for the burrito to open after the cable is cut.

If "unfurling anxiety" is a problem why is no one using something like a Fruity Chute deployment bag specifically made for Cable Cutter installations and a drogue?

Asking because I'm doing a Cable Cutter deployment system on my Polecat Aerospace 5.5" Goblin with a 3" diameter nose cone alt-bay based loosely on Dgreger's Mini Magg.

Agreed. I can't get my arms around this. What does the foam do?

The cable cutter gives me "unfurling anxiety" as I wait for the burrito to open after the cable is cut.

Yeah, thanks for the link. The zip tie goes in front of the "foam ball". The foam ball keeps the drogue chute from pulling out the main because the zip tie occludes it. When the zip tie is cut, the drogue pulls the main out as the foam ball can now
"barrel through" unobstructed.

The other safety factor is to follow the advice of main chute opening at a higher altitude. Kurt

Last edited:
Do you have a picture showing how the AV bay is secured in the nosecone?

When I get the time, I'll take some pics and post them so that what worked for me is clearer. It probably won't be for a few days though.

s6

Yeah, thanks for the link. The zip tie goes in front of the "foam ball". The foam ball keeps the drogue chute from pulling out the main because the zip tie occludes it. When the zip tie is cut, the drogue pulls the main out as the foam ball can now
"barrel through" unobstructed.

The other safety factor is to follow the advice of main chute opening at a higher altitude. Kurt

OK, I get it now. Kinda like a poor man's pilot chute/deployment bag. I like.

HI Folks,

Does anyone have a picture of Kurt did, or alas, WoShuGui's (see post #3) attachment is no longer available.

Thanks

Back