Estes Mega Der Red Max Slow Drag!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, so, we are about 3 weeks away, have we come up with some definitive rules?

Given the distance requirements, we really can't have drag races.
The pads for any 3-way or more high power drag race is 2 x time the complex separation distance of the total impulse of all the rockets flown. If you want even a small high power drag race, say a 4 rocket H impulse, the distance to the pads would need to be 400ft (4 H motors = a single J motor and 2 x the complex J motor separation works out to 400'). That would require using the second row of L2 pads which we have setup to accommodate complex Ks and Ls.
Given the revised distance requirements, number of fliers, and flights planned on the L2 pads, sorry but we just can't accommodate HP drag races.
That being said you could certainly launch 2 HP birds at a time, the best of which goes up against a third contender, etc. That would work...
Greg

I'm thinking of building one called "Der Mad Max." Instead of a Skull and Crossbones, it would have the mask of "Lord Humungous" and a Road Warrior theme.

I have a similar idea.

Instead of the Skull and Crossbones the following image, and in place of TOP SECRET the words HAIL HYDRA

a1a.png

Given the distance requirements, we really can't have drag races.
The pads for any 3-way or more high power drag race is 2 x time the complex separation distance of the total impulse of all the rockets flown. If you want even a small high power drag race, say a 4 rocket H impulse, the distance to the pads would need to be 400ft (4 H motors = a single J motor and 2 x the complex J motor separation works out to 400'). That would require using the second row of L2 pads which we have setup to accommodate complex Ks and Ls.
Given the revised distance requirements, number of fliers, and flights planned on the L2 pads, sorry but we just can't accommodate HP drag races.
That being said you could certainly launch 2 HP birds at a time, the best of which goes up against a third contender, etc. That would work...
Greg

rules is rules, but I really don't understand the 2X part. how can a group of separate rockets require twice the distance as one huge rocket with the same impulse? what is the scenario where you need twice as much distance as one large motor/rocket?

rules is rules, but I really don't understand the 2X part. how can a group of separate rockets require twice the distance as one huge rocket with the same impulse? what is the scenario where you need twice as much distance as one large motor/rocket?

The distances may be based on the results of Drag Races Past.
Drag races seem to have a disproportionate number of catos and recovery failures.

Mark

Riley the decision was made by the TRA based on safety concerns resulting from past drag races, as Mark noted..
The TRA BOD members will be present, as they have their meeting at our Saturday night banquet, and I am sure they would be willing to share their rationale with anyone interested.

Back