Estes Mega Der Red Max Slow Drag!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RKeller

Reaction score
Facebook conversations have created the idea of a LDRS MDRM slow drag race. slow as in using a large slow burn motor. Evan had mentioned an I mellow yellow but I only see a 29mm 5 grain H53 mellow yellow from CTI. although that might work well, my open rocket sim predicts just under 1500ft, which would still be visible. what do you think? I think a sky full of MDRM's should make some awesome photos!

I'm into this. Here is my rules suggestion.

Rocket must meet the Estes Mega Der Red Max dimensions (must use the Estes Nose cone) and have all decals done in the spirit of the design (i.e., a Purple Red Max can be "Der Grape Max" ... I've seen another done with Sopwith Camel markings called "Der Snoopy Max, etc.").
Motor would be a CTI H53Y
Max. Chute diameter is 60"
3 Winning Categories.
Slowest flight to 1,000' measured by a recording altimeter of your choice.
Highest altitude
Longest duration aloft

Rocket must land in a designated area and have no structural damage. Fillet cracks can be accepted, but no broken, bent, or dislodged fins.

Last edited:
I'm Considering... Not sure if I will but it would be awesome!

Sounds like a cool and different kind of drag race. The MDRM ia a great slow rocket, and I think it would be a lot of fun to see a bunch of them on H53's.

Rocket must meet the Estes Mega Der Red Max dimensions (must use the Estes Nose cone) and have all decals done in the spirit of the design (i.e., a Purple Red Max can be "Der Grape Max" ... I've seen another done with Sopwith Camel markings called "Der Snoopy Max, etc.").
3 Winning Categories.
Highest altitude
Longest duration aloft

Rocket must land in a designated area and have no structural damage. Fillet cracks can be accepted, but no broken, bent, or dislodged fins.

I'm gunna need a bigger chute!

I'm thinking of building one called "Der Mad Max." Instead of a Skull and Crossbones, it would have the mask of "Lord Humungous" and a Road Warrior theme.

4th category... People's Choice (custom design)
5th category... People's Choice (standard design).

I'm thinking of building one called "Der Mad Max." Instead of a Skull and Crossbones, it would have the mask of "Lord Humungous" and a Road Warrior theme.

Awesome!

I have one of these kits, and I'm not a huge fan of the stock livery. But my TRF avatar has Viking horns, and my real name is Eric, so I'm thinking about a Viking theme and calling it "Erik Der Red Max."

That's Awesome!

Come to Red Glare in April. We do it every time...although we don't really have rules. Or a prize. Or a a fixed goal, like fast or slow. We just want a cool, massive launch.

As someone who ran an LDRS contest for a decade...
A single person needs to step forward to run the event. Just making a suggestion is good but it must have a person who is totally responsible. Being run by a committee will not work, there may be others assisting but one needs absolute power.

M

"Absolute Power" HAHAHAHHA
Maybe the Supreme Commander of the Known Universe needs to assign this to one of his minions! HAHAHAHH

I have seen this at RedGlare it is cool, Don't be bothered that others do it, Just Do IT!
Rules EGAD.... "Cheating is allowed and Encouraged"

3 Winning Categories.
Highest altitude
Longest duration aloft

I suggest "plug 'em in and hit it!" :)

I suggest "plug 'em in and hit it!" :)

+1

It's a red max if it looks like one. Put a motor in it and push the button on all of them at once. After that, nobody will care about the little details.

Where is LDRS this year? I probably won't go but if I can, I'll definitely join in. Would it matter that mine doesn't have decals?

Where is LDRS this year? I probably won't go but if I can, I'll definitely join in. Would it matter that mine doesn't have decals?

It's in Potter, NY. I'm going to have to attend LDRS someday, but not on the opposite side of the country. Logistics would be a nightmare. I want to see a truly massive drag race sometime. We need to try to get one going at a LUNAR or TCC launch with enough lead time to get the word out.

It's in Potter, NY. I'm going to have to attend LDRS someday, but not on the opposite side of the country. Logistics would be a nightmare. I want to see a truly massive drag race sometime. We need to try to get one going at a LUNAR or TCC launch with enough lead time to get the word out.
Maybe a crayon race at LUNAR would work. I saw a lot of crayons saturday, there are probably at least 15 or so across LUNAR.

Maybe a crayon race at LUNAR would work. I saw a lot of crayons saturday, there are probably at least 15 or so across LUNAR.

Mike sells those BAR Crayon kits, and maybe he could do some kind of sponsorship of the race. I don't want to take this thread too far off topic. We should see about getting something like that off the ground... so to speak.

Mike sells those BAR Crayon kits, and maybe he could do some kind of sponsorship of the race. I don't want to take this thread too far off topic. We should see about getting something like that off the ground... so to speak.

Definitely!

"Absolute Power" HAHAHAHHA
Maybe the Supreme Commander of the Known Universe needs to assign this to one of his minions! HAHAHAHH

I have seen this at RedGlare it is cool, Don't be bothered that others do it, Just Do IT!

I am just the idiot to lead the charge! We will work out a more complete set of "rules" as we get closer, but in the spirit of "if it is shaped like a Red Max, it is a Red Max," we want creativity to abound in this. I would love to see the Viking version, and I am going to try to do mine in the Mad Max version.

However, the external fin dimensions will include thickness (1/4"). What you choose to make them out of is your choice, as is the dimensions of the fin tabs. Cheating is welcome and encouraged. It must have the dimensions of an MDRM, but how it is constructed is nobody's business. However I suppose Viking horns will be permitted to extend from the nose cone or airframe. :grin: Max chute size is 60" and we hope everyone will deploy a large chute. Rocket must fly on an H or better. 29mm max diameter motor. Rather than specify motors, we will leave the choice to the flier. Research motors are allowed if you are a member of TRA (I can hear the gears spinning in Bill Clune's head from my house - a 16-grain 29mm J motor - :shock:).

Bill, I think we do this on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon, with a 2-3 hour display of all competing Max's. There people can vote on their three favorites. One launch, three competitions. Closest to a landing point (Measured from the tip of the nose cone); Slowest to 1,000'; and Duration aloft (time to get it out of a tree does not count :lol:). Each Max needs to have a recording altimeter (I will probably use a Perfect Flite P-Nut). The rocket must survive the flight with fins intact. When you enter for one category, you are automatically entered for all, but your rocket must fly to 1,000' to be considered a competitor.

We'll try to have a first prize for each category. Maybe there will be a lovely set of steak knives for second (old movie reference) ... probably not. Of course we could randomly give an award (as well as appropriate ridicule) for the best CATO or Lawn Dart. If you want to "compete" for that prize you might check with Linda Newman for advice (See below).

[YOUTUBE]mQkX_-zzBEc[/YOUTUBE]

Sounds good, but i would really encourage people to stick to a low average thrust in the spirit of slowness :)

At LDRS-XXXI we had 15 or So L900DM "sparky motors" launch from what was then minimum safe distance it was AWESOME! The rules for minimum distance changed 2 weeks later!

At LDRS-XXXI we had 15 or So L900DM "sparky motors" launch from what was then minimum safe distance it was AWESOME! The rules for minimum distance changed 2 weeks later!

It was glorious.
Darkmatter Drag Race Launch.jpg Darkmatter Drag Race.jpg

Attachments

• Darkmatter Drag Race Sparks in the Sky.jpg
    Darkmatter Drag Race Sparks in the Sky.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 118
We will work out a more complete set of "rules" as we get closer

If you are going to have a drag race, use Bill's simple rules. If you need a set of rules, let me steal from the infamous 7.5" K555 Fat Boy Race of NYPower 13:

Points Awarded

• Show Up with Fatboy - 1 point
  • Show up drunk with Fatboy - 1 point
  • Show up with prepped and painted Fatboy - minus 3 points
  • Paint Fatboy on field = 3 points
  • Paint Fatboy on pad - 10 points
  • Launch Fatboy - 5 points
  • Deploy Fatboy recovery - 1 point
  • Find your Fatboy - 3 points
  • Still be looking for your Fatboy in 2015 - John Dermiggio Trophy
  • Do a loop with your hybrid Fatboy - Theo McDonald Medal
  • Bring the judges a case of Fat Bastard Ale - you win.

Latest posts

Back