Mid power kit reccomendation

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's 5 clubs in the state: SEVRA in Va. Beach, HOVAR, NOVAAR, VAST and Tripoli #25. Culpeper is the best high power field, NOVAAR is a bit further but a *nice* field, HOVAR small and a bit sporadic but fun, haven't been to SEVRA but flies the most often.

Battlepark is "research" so you'll need, to fly, NAR or Tripoli membership (not explained on their site) and also need to join their club ($25/yr.), but otherwise you'd have to pay close attention to notice any difference, no big deal, kids still fly LPR, and lots of big rockets. It's just a big plowed corn field and a little cluster of cars and gear. I should be there Sunday.

Last edited:
I didn't get my L1 cert with it, but my Aerotech G-Force I have flown on G77 and G80's plenty of times, then I have launched it with a H123 and a H170 both being great flights. Debating if I want to try a 3 grain I170, we'll see! If you do use an Aerotech mid-power kit, I would recommend not installing the cooling mesh baffle as it could limit motor choices.

If you want to try a MPR odd roc, there is also this: https://www.rocketarium.com/Rockets/Turbo-Vortico?zenid=57lst2ree3g4h8u29kgo9m7dd7. I actually got one of the prototypes, but have yet to fly it.:( Getting a new job and moving cross country will do that to you...

I will second or third the suggestions above. My thoughts are:

• Estes PS-II kits are very complete, and walk you through the building process. Recently finished a Ventris, have an Argent, and my 7yo (at the time) daughter and I built her a Partizon. They put the builder kits on sale every holidy. If you wait for President's day (next major holiday, and I am guessing) you can probably score them at their $26.99 sale price, and if you buy $100 (or get an order together with others) you can get free shipping.
  • MadCow, Aerotech and LOC Precision (and others) have some really cool kits as well. Just finished a LOC Stovi. In the 24mm configuration it might be a good intro to MPR. Building it as a 29mm (which I did) takes a bit of work that I wouldn't recommend for a first MPR.
  • 3D rocketry has some 24mm kits that will definitely take you into MPR range, yet can be flown on a C on a windy day. Just finished my Ion Collector (it just spent a week on my desk at work as part of my rocket-of-the-week program), and I'm itching for a chance to fly it. Bill's got some other pretty cool kits that will be making their way into my collection

I looked up the site information on the Tripoli website. According to my phone, it is a 1.5 hour drive. Not too bad. I hope I can make it up there.

I live in Richmond and make the Culpeper trip via 64 west to/through Orange VA in reasonable time (about an hour and 45 minutes if I stop along the way).

That would be a pretty good place to certify Level 1 since the recovery area is pretty decent for a non-dual deploy rocket as long as the wind is not to stiff...if you want to go that route.
Either of the Hobby Towns in the area have some of those Aerotech kits that could probably handle an H (but being smaller, narrow diameter it is going to be UP there!).
I did my Level 1 at Culpeper with a stock/non dual deploy Loc IV - w/ Vulcan H100 smoky sam way back when.
It was also the rocket I did my first G motor flight on (and it is still flying after 22 years !)
Basic TFNC (three fins and a nose cone) cardboard rocket.
It was a LONG walk to retrieve it.

Of course you could take the plunge and go with dual deploy/low opening main with an altimeter and not worry about the wind too much.
Modifying any kit to go dual deploy isn't too big a deal. My first dual deploy was a Loc Caliber ...it just ended up being longer when I was done.

Handeman and all the Culpeper guys are a great bunch to fly with...

Drop me a PM if you like.

Last edited:
As MaxQ says, we have a large recovery area at Culpeper. I've flown my Estes Leviathan on H128W and H250G motors several times and it easily recovered on the field. It wasn't very windy those days, but still, an L1 on a small light rocket can be done there.

With that said, I would recommend a kit with a 38mm MMT for a L1 cert. That way you can fly it on H & I motors after your cert. Something either 3" or 4" diameter and 4-5 lbs would work great with motor ejection. If you do go dual deploy as MaxQ suggested, 2.26" diameter and 3 to 4 lbs would also work very well. That would let you hit the mile high mark on a large I motor. That would be a great little rocket at Culpeper.

I have no HPR ambitions, but I did want to expand into MPR a few years ago. It was a different category of modeling at first sight. I was completely clueless about the motors involved. My first approach was to see what the difference was in building MPR rockets VS LPR, which is where I focus on mostly. So I bought a Madcow DX 3 as a starter. I learned very quickly that it involved thicker components and more epoxy than I ever used on a rocket. When it was finished, I looked at and thought, "why does this have to be built this heavy?" A marketing strategy for sure.

KNOW THIS! I am a scratch builder. Kits are not my usual. Buying the DX 3 was only a training wheel. I soon discovered you can build some MPR rockets with LPR parts. But I guess since you have that HPR goal, you'll need the knowledge of heavier MPR building.

What I offer to you is knowing, that all mid power rockets do NOT have to be made heavy. Take a look at this beaut. Flies great on an F 26 and weighs in at 14 oz. Fins are surface mounted.

GB 2014 1.jpg

Hopefully, you will let us know your ultimate choice...and then do a build thread! :2: You cannot go wrong with the Estes special. 4 builders kits for $80. A great deal!

Cheers,
Michael

Hopefully, you will let us know your ultimate choice...and then do a build thread! :2: You cannot go wrong with the Estes special. 4 builders kits for $80. A great deal!

Cheers,
Michael

Definately . I haven't made a final determination. I have been reading the suggestions and looking into the many options. Thank you once again to everyone who has taken the time to give their suggestions.

Back