Tubular Nylon?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlnessW

Reaction score
Anybody know where to buy tubular nylon (the $.25/foot stuff, like this) in bulk? Say, a roll of 100' or more? So far I've only been able to find short lengths with sewn loops on each end.

I purchased a spool with a few hundred yards on Ebay. A search on "tubular nylon 9/16" should turn up something.

Try strapworks.com

An observation.

I really don't know much about tubular nylon... but the stuff I got from strapworks.com is very stiff compared to the stuff I got at Top Flight Recovery.

An observation.

I really don't know much about tubular nylon... but the stuff I got from strapworks.com is very stiff compared to the stuff I got at Top Flight Recovery.

You have to wash it in fabric softener :) also makes it smell good :p

I purchased a spool with a few hundred yards on Ebay. A search on "tubular nylon 9/16" should turn up something.
Indeed it does - I just stumbled across this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/like/370262958997?lpid=82&chn=ps

You have to wash it in fabric softener :) also makes it smell good :p
...does that actually work?

Wilson, for tubular nylon go visit the REI store near you. They sell it in bulk as "nylon webbing".
Had no idea they carry it either - thanks Vern! Looks like they sell it by the foot as well?

Note that tubular Nylon and Nylon straps are different; tubular Nylon is thicker and softer and strap is thinner and stiffer. The tubular Nylon REI sells is softer and thicker than what I've gotten from StrapWorks, but StrapWorks has a wider range of sizes.

Anybody know where to buy tubular nylon (the $.25/foot stuff, like this) in bulk? Say, a roll of 100' or more? So far I've only been able to find short lengths with sewn loops on each end.

PM Me your address and I will send you 100 feet of 9/16"

It does indeed!! I was told on one of my threads because I had stiff tubular nylon and it worked :)
That's funny! :)

Note that tubular Nylon and Nylon straps are different; tubular Nylon is thicker and softer and strap is thinner and stiffer. The tubular Nylon REI sells is softer and thicker than what I've gotten from StrapWorks, but StrapWorks has a wider range of sizes.
Right, I'm looking at "tubular" nylon which is actually a tube of sorts and much more flexible. Looks like StrapWorks has it.

Good prices there too!

The REI stuff looks strange to me. It looks more like webbing than tubular nylon, but that could just be the picture they use. The description says it is sewn in a tube and flattened.

The only tubular nylon I've ever gotten wasn't sown at all. It was woven in a tube and flattened. The same with the tubular Kevlar.

I assume it works well.

The REI stuff looks strange to me. It looks more like webbing than tubular nylon, but that could just be the picture they use. The description says it is sewn in a tube and flattened.

The only tubular nylon I've ever gotten wasn't sown at all. It was woven in a tube and flattened. The same with the tubular Kevlar.

I assume it works well.

It is woven, not sewn, if I remember correctly. Regardless, it's very soft, and has never failed on me.

It is woven, not sewn, if I remember correctly. Regardless, it's very soft, and has never failed on me.
The stuff I recently bought from REI needs to go through the laundry before I'll call it anywhere close to being soft.

I was rather disappointed when they brought it out to me in the cut length I requested.

The stuff I recently bought from REI needs to go through the laundry before I'll call it anywhere close to being soft.

I was rather disappointed when they brought it out to me in the cut length I requested.

I haven't bought any in a while, so maybe they changed it? If I think about it, I'll bring some of mine to the next launch.

I picked up 50 ft of 9/16" webbing last week from my local REI store. (In addition to what Roy sent me.) ;)
VERY nice stuff!!

It doesn't feel stiffer than any other tubular nylon I've used before, although the washing machine idea sounds like it would work well in this case. Great price and even better that one can source it locally, without the "rocketry markup" often found on certain products. They also had it in several different colors, widths, etc.

Oh yeah, and the sales associate got a big kick out of it when she asked what I was buying it for...

I haven't bought any in a while, so maybe they changed it? If I think about it, I'll bring some of mine to the next launch.
I bought some of the red stuff with blue striping down the middle. I'll bring it to the next launch so we can compare and contrast.

It's not been washed yet...hmmm...Mrs. OD is out of the house today so maybe I will wash it.

Back