Regulated Igniters

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobra1336

Reaction score
Not trying to open a can of worms here but is there any way to find out what igniters (if any) are regulated? I have some Big uns and Lil uns ones I puchased a couple of years ago but not sure where they fall.

Last edited:
Need more information on what the ignitors (we call them starters, now) were intended for, ie; motors or rockets.

Igniters may or may not be regulated. It depends on what you are referring. Many can be shipped and purchased with an ATF LEUP.

Used for model rocketry motors. Have my L2, need to know if they need to be stored in my magazine and documented. Have a LEUP. Going to work now, have late shift.

Used for model rocketry motors. Have my L2, need to know if they need to be stored in my magazine and documented. Have a LEUP. Going to work now, have late shift.
Because the ATF provides no information on what is and is not regulated (they know one when they see it but they have published no clear criteria) the only thing you have to go on are the requirements of the dealer who sold you the igniters. Did that dealer require a copy of your permit and statement of intended use before the sale? If yes then they are regulated.

Because the ATF provides no information on what is and is not regulated (they know one when they see it but they have published no clear criteria) the only thing you have to go on are the requirements of the dealer who sold you the igniters. Did that dealer require a copy of your permit and statement of intended use before the sale? If yes then they are regulated.

That's the ticket.

I use them and they work well. 5 flights with 12 matches. No failures.

How about the older Estes igniters? Do the old-style model rocket igniters (w/pyrogen) require a LEUP now?

How about the older Estes igniters? Do the old-style model rocket igniters (w/pyrogen) require a LEUP now?

Nope and maybe.

There is little uncertainty here. Companies are changing formulation to meet rumored ATF regulatory changes.

Nope and maybe.

There is little uncertainty here. Companies are changing formulation to meet rumored ATF regulatory changes.

There are no changes to the ATF regulations. Nothing has changed and nothing is in the future if you believe the agenda they are required to update twice a year. What may have happened is that the ATF decided not to honor what they said they were going to do in 1997. Which was to leave igniters with less than 50mg of pyrogen unregulated. They never put that in writing of course.

There are no changes to the ATF regulations. Nothing has changed and nothing is in the future if you believe the agenda they are required to update twice a year. What may have happened is that the ATF decided not to honor what they said they were going to do in 1997. Which was to leave igniters with less than 50mg of pyrogen unregulated. They never put that in writing of course.

That maybe what has cause the manufacturers to change their formulations.

One episode of myth busters and a terrorist used Estes igniters and they decide to go after igniters again.

The Blue and White ones work and they are legal. The chinese ones bought on eBay are a less clear (I would vote on ill-egal shipping side).

No one has to be without a motor igniter. They are just too easy to improvise and make for our purposes. The unregulated ematches take care of that problem too. One doesn't have to "fly under the radar" if they don't want to anymore. Kurt

Last edited:
If a short length of 30 GA nichrome is bridged between two 20-24 GA copper leads and then looped across the head of a paper safety match, does that constitute an "electric match"? With a 12 volt source it will most certainly ignite black powder whether it is confined within an ejection charge or inserted into a motor nozzle, and none of the ingredients are illegal...yet. ;)

If a short length of 30 GA nichrome is bridged between two 20-24 GA copper leads and then looped across the head of a paper safety match, does that constitute an "electric match"? With a 12 volt source it will most certainly ignite black powder whether it is confined within an ejection charge or inserted into a motor nozzle, and none of the ingredients are illegal...yet. ;)

I 100% agree with you. I burned the left overs from my igniter experiment. About 4 oz burned and it was scary. It was made with entirely legal ingredients you can buy locally and legal.

I have used RRC2, RRC2+ and RRC3. I have ground tested the stratologgger.

Dipping is a learned skill. It takes a few to get quality.

Back