Crossing USA/Canada border with rocket stuff?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckeye

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
For me, the shortest driving route to Potter is through Canada. Is this cool to do with a carload of rockets and motors? Any suggestions as to what to say to inquiring border agents (on both USA and Canadian sides?)

Motor, ematches/starters and black powder is a no no to cross the border either way. I'm coming to LDRS from Nova Scotia and these items must be sourced and bought on the US side of the border. Luckily I got my motor reloads during the Wildman BS sale with delivery at LDRS.

Greg

OK, thanks for the info. Hmm, I might just have to suck it up and drive around Lake Erie and stay in the States.

Get any funny looks/questions at the border about your fleet of rockets in the backseat?

I usually get alot of curiosity from them but in a positive way. Alot of them tell me to have fun after I'm clear. They just want to be sure you have nothing that ignites or goes bang.I just keep it out in the open for them to see as I have nothing to hide. I cross from Canada to New York at least twice every summer with my fleet. I go to Potter field & am a member of MARS at Geneseo.

I believe you can bring 3 model rocket engines into Canada. Not sure what you have to go through to do it, though.

I believe you can bring 3 model rocket engines into Canada. Not sure what you have to go through to do it, though.

Explosives that may be imported without an explosives importation permit

Number Explosives Type Quantity
1. Model rocket motors that each have a maximum total impulse of 40 newton-seconds (NFPA alpha designations A to E, as indicated on the motor or its packaging) 6
2. Avalanche airbag systems 3
3. Small arms cartridges 5000
4. Percussion caps (primers) for small arms cartridges 5000
5. Empty primed small arms cartridge cases 5000
6. Black powder and hazard category PE 1 black powder substitutes 8 kg, in containers of 500 g or less
7. Smokeless powder and hazard category PE 3 black powder substitutes 8 kg, in containers of 4 kg or less

only 6 E motor but 8kg of BP WTF ??????

https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/explosives/importation/9907

Last edited:
WTF, indeed. A small war can be started with 8kg of BP and 5000 rounds of ammo. But, only 6 whoosh-pop rocket motors are allowed???

It is interesting that rocket motors are first on the list!

It is also interesting that explosives in Canada are regulated by the Natural Resources.

No exemptions for lighters/starters, however.

$160 for a permit. Might be worth it for you guys that cross the border a few times a year to attend launches.

On a side note, I drove into Canada in the summer of 1997. This was before you needed a passport, and I didn't have one. I had long hair and a beard (picture the Beatles on the Let It Be cover), and I was driving a rental car because I knew my jalopy wouldn't make it from Baltimore.

I don't know if it was the combination of things (long hair, rental, no passport), or if I matched a description of someone they were looking for, but they detained me at the border for nearly an hour. They did everything short of strip-search me. They went through all my belongings, tore the car apart, took my credit cards and license, and then grilled me with questions over and over again.

They finally had no choice but to let me go.

So, I guess where this is going is, if you carry any of the aforementioned stuff with you, get a hair cut, drive your own car, and have a passport!

We have a LOT of Canadian members at URRG who cross the border every month! The rockets wont be problem (not sure about long hair :cool: )
Motors, igniters, bp, just about anything like that i would NOT try! You could have motors and such shipped to a local and get it then. PM or email me and we can arrange that, contact form on the website would be BEST! Don't let motors and such stop you from coming to Potter!

wow, i was sure they would be a problem!

Don't know about Canada, but there have been multiple times I have driven cross country with rockets strapped to the top of my car or carried on an open trailer. Cops always come up at gas stations or hotels, but they aren't there to hassle me, they just seem to be drawn to cool stuff that flies fast (I guess, probably should ask Preston "pnobile") so we just have cool "sharing session," then I'm back on the road.

For US/Canada cross-border rockets are fine. That and no more than 6 motors, E or lower.

I used to commute cross-border for years. The most important thing is to answer truthfully what they ask you, and ONLY what they ask you. Keep it short and sweet.

All depends on the official at the border station. Their lack of knowledge can be frightening.
I crossed at Detroit with a sailplane on an enclosed trailer. She did not know what a sailplane/glider was, "they don't make no airplanes without engines". The inspectors I was sent to asked as I pulled up, "What's in the trailer? A glider?"

All depends on the official at the border station. Their lack of knowledge can be frightening.
I crossed at Detroit with a sailplane on an enclosed trailer. She did not know what a sailplane/glider was, "they don't make no airplanes without engines". The inspectors I was sent to asked as I pulled up, "What's in the trailer? A glider?"

The ones in the booth wear velcro shoes.

The last time I crossed the border (at Niagara) they asked about whether or not I had firearms or fireworks.

I once heard about a happy Canadian crossing the US boarder sucking on a nice fat Cuban cigar.. The border guard noticed the label..
CB: "Nice stogie, Cuban?"
CAN:" Sure is!"
CB: "A sweet smoke?"
CAN: " Sure is!"
CB:" Got any more?!"
CAN: "Sure do, want one?!"
CB: "You bet! Actually, I want them all."
CAN: "Uhm, OK.." (mumbles something about being greedy)
CB: "Just so you know, Cubans are banned in the US. So, next time, don't bring a box.. (and loose the labels so we can't tell they're Cubans!)
CAN: "Fckgerenentredngnsss....."

Cubans aren't that great. I used to be into cigars about 13 years ago. You could get a much better Honduran for about $8. I think people enjoyed the taboo aspect more than the actual flavor.

Cubans aren't that great. I used to be into cigars about 13 years ago. You could get a much better Honduran for about $8. I think people enjoyed the taboo aspect more than the actual flavor.

Hey Chris,

In my thirties I had a few years of the cigar aficionado thingy. Man did I love collecting them and having cigar parties, ah the good old days.

My favourite ring gauge was either a Robusto or Churchill, and both of these in the Cohiba line were nice. The Cohiba Churchill equivalent is the Esplendidos, a bit pricey but a great smoke and the Robosto was nice as well as being a bit more reasonable. If you got them fresh and stored them correctly, and I had 3 professional humidors full, it makes a big difference to the quality in both flavour and harshness of the smoke. I also preferred a bullet cutter over a guillotine for those two ring gauges, which does make a difference.

Cubans are made from 100% Cuban tobacco. So yes, they all taste the same. (And most seem to come from the same factories, and are sorted depending on the grade).. So yeah, meh.. Cuban.. Yawn..

Others, as noted, are usually a blend of fine tobaccos from different regions to give unique & complex flavours. I'm big on Ashton & A Fuentes, and I have quite the selection in my tupperdor. I always buy my stick in the US, much mucho cheaper than this side of the border!!)

Back