Rejected Reality 7.5" Rocket Build!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The CA was just for tacking.... They will have hefty epoxy fillets afterwards. It should be fine

If you use CA to tack, don't spread it all around. Just use 3-4 drops spaced evenly around then use epoxy to do the real gluing. The CA you put on will prevent the epoxy soaking into the wood and the cardboard where it needs it most at the joint. Better yet, use wood glue for the best joint with the materials you are working with. Wood glue dries very quickly and is crazy strong.

I already made my first internals tonight... I will have pictures tomorrow afternoon hopefully. I used thickened epoxy to make a fillet. After, I mixed up some more epoxy and didn't thicken it. I used this epoxy to paint onto the fin tabs and the MMT. I laid a strip of FG about 5" wide across this and then used a little more epoxy to wet out the cloth. While I understand the FG might not have as many benefits as I originally thought, I will continue with it as the extra weight doesn't bother me and it could work.

properly gluing the root of the fin adds a lot of strength to the joint. when I use CA to tack a fin on, it has been glued in with epoxy or wood glue with just a few drops of CA to hold it in place while the real glue sets up. I'm sure you'll be fine as long as you make good fillets and use a slow cure epoxy so it can wick into the gaps. next time, butter the edges of your fins with real glue or epoxy.

Well, as I said before, I did my first set of internal fillets... I think they came out pretty well and they should hold up. If someone disagrees and can give me pointers and how to fix it I'll be glad to try it however these should work fine.SAM_3223.jpg
I also installed the U-Bolt on the forward CR...
SAM_3226.jpg

I can't do any more glueing until I can get some mustard and ketchup bottles because trying to pour out epoxy from the supplied bottles was near impossible.

US Composites 150 Thick with 3:1 Medium hardener. Not intended for laminating however it appeared to have worked well on this small patch.

Just wanted to say that I was able to get the bottles last night. They were small so I was disappointed, however I discovered that the caps fit on the bottles of epoxy themselves which is awesome since I won't have to worry about refilling them. I'll probably do the next set of internals later on tonight!

Got the second set of internals done... not gonna post a picture because it's the same as the last one...

Last edited:
Alright, after taking a break on this to switch around my house bedrooms I am back at this... I was able to cut fin slots today. Here is a dry fit into the airframe. Looks great!

1425602862286.jpg

1425602891568.jpg

Oh, I also forgot to announce that due to various reasons I am changing this rocket to " Rejected Reality " and I will be change BG the colors TBA later but my outfit kinda matches it

I just weighed the parts seen in the photo ( no recovery, electronics, or nose weight) and its currently 10#

Looks great!

I like the new name- maybe not as much as big boo-tay, but hey :)

Looks great!

I like the new name- maybe not as much as big boo-tay, but hey :)
Yeah, didn't want to keep a name that my family wouldn't think was as funny as we do. All the build pictures of this build are going into a scrapbook for my HS shop teacher who helped me make a lot of the parts. He will display the book in the classroom with his immature students so I thought this name was better overall.

I'm Cody, I'm a teenaged rocket nerd from New Hampshire building a rocket bigger than me. I recently changed the name of my giant rocket to rejected reality... why...

sorry, watching Backstrom.

Cody that's really funny,,,
In the first pic it looks like the top of the nose cone is through the ceiling...lol...

Teddy

Cody that's really funny,,,
In the first pic it looks like the top of the nose cone is through the ceiling...lol...

Teddy
Lol! Close enough, it's actually only like an inch or so below the ceiling... Moving it was ... interesting....

Back