"Soft" kevlar thread?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Landshark

Reaction score
I was browsing around on the Thread_Exchange and found this product

It's advertised as "soft" kevlar and if it's the stuff I'm thinking of, it really is soft in texture and lacking the waxy, stiff binding that most kevlar shock cords seem to have. On another part of their site, they describe other threads as "bonded" but not this one.

Has anyone used this type of thread before? Is it possible to use? The only danger I can think of is if the string comes unraveled (like a cotton string would), but that might not be an issue in this application. Thoughts? BTDT's?

I've bought Kevlar from the Thread Exchange before.
The first big spool I got was a softer type, I'd almost call it a "flat ribbon". It wasn't what I was looking for and I returned it for an exchange.

The bonded Kevlar designated as #346 is (150 lb. rating) is close to what comes with the Quest and Semroc kits. It's stronger than what you'd normally need for LPR, but it's what I use most of the time.

Stop by the Kevlar page on my website for more insights:
https://www.howtobuildmodelrockets.20m.com/RecoveryKevlarPage6.html

Everybody has their preferences, I'm sure some will dissagree. This is just what works for me.

Thanks! Is the #346 "bonded" then (somewhat stiff and has the waxy coating)?

I know the 150 pound rated stuff is still plenty strong, but I saw the 225 pound stuff and thought the diameter made it seem more substantial.

I have used some of that smaller unbonded kevlar as shroud lines on small ripstop chutes.

Thanks! Is the #346 "bonded" then (somewhat stiff and has the waxy coating)?

I know the 150 pound rated stuff is still plenty strong, but I saw the 225 pound stuff and thought the diameter made it seem more substantial.

Yep, the #346 bonded is the stiffer Kevlar. I don't know what you mean by "waxed" but it is stiffer, with a little bit of shine like the Kevlar (4 strand) from the Quest or Semroc kits.
I know you are wanting to get the order right the first time, but the Thread Exchange took back my first "ribbon" Kevlar and exchanged it for the #346 without any hassle.

Last edited:
It's not waxed, I think they call that "sizing". It keeps it from fraying as it zings through stitching machinery.

You might think about microbraid Kevlar. Very strong but pliable. Pratt Hobbies sells it.

Greg

Back