CANCELLED: DARS high power launch on Saturday, Jan 24 at Gunter.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tab28682

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Thread title changed again, as the field was simply to wet to get into and around in.

Let's look ahead to February!

Last edited:
Was looking for that just yesterday. Thanks for sharing.

We'll certainly be there and if the planets are aligned I'll bring some old high power kits that are itching to fly.

Here's another view:

DARS Corsicana field.jpg

Attachments

• DARS Corsicana field.jpg
    DARS Corsicana field.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 60
Great graphic. Thanks Sam. Having that on the DARS website would be sweet.

I'll be sending the formal announcement out in a bit. I was holding off on sending it until I could confirm the location via GPS coordinates. Here's the nitty gritty:

Launch Details:
Date: Saturday, 1-24-2015
Time: 9 am setup, 10am – 5 pm Launch hours
Location: Corsicana High Power Field – Follow this link for directions https://dars.org/NAV-Corsicana.html
Altitude Limit: 9,000’ AGL (Our waiver is for 10,000’ MSL (about 9500’ AGL). Call the extra 500’ “waiver insurance”)
Pads Available: Model Rocket, Mid Power, and High Power (Please let us know in advance if you plan on launching a complex rocket or any K or larger motors)
Certification: NAR or Tripoli - All high power flyers must show a current NAR or TRA membership card to prove certification level - no exceptions.
Flight Prep: All high power rockets and flight plans will be reviewed by the RSO before pad assignment to ensure compliance. If you are planning a flight that will be close to our waiver, be prepared to answer many questions or provide a simulation.
Registration/Range Fees: FREE Under 18 modroc/sport
$5 Adult modroc/sport
$20 High-Power (not DARS member)
$10 High-Power DARS member
Bathroom Facilities: A portable toilet facility will be on-site.
Food/Beverages: Nearest food/gas/facilities are about 4 miles northeast, in Kerens. (It is best to bring your own)
Flight Cards: to speed up range operations please bring your flight cards already filled out to the field. https://www.dars.org/library.html

Sam - I'm going to shamelessly steal your map and try to plug it into the announcement. If it works, I'll make sure and give proper credit. I don't want anyone thinking I have any sort of computer skillz. Mostly 'cuz I don't.

I think I'll have to do this trip and see the new site, see if I can get my L2 so I can fly my lander project.

Sam - I'm going to shamelessly steal your map and try to plug it into the announcement. If it works, I'll make sure and give proper credit. I don't want anyone thinking I have any sort of computer skillz. Mostly 'cuz I don't.

No worries. It's just a Bing maps screen capture. I accidently right clicked it and this push pin "dealy" came up that let me add the comments from the DARS web page directions. I slept at a Holiday Inn one night about 33 years ago and I've been masquerading as a programmer ever since.

I think I'll have to do this trip and see the new site, see if I can get my L2 so I can fly my lander project.

YES !!

I got my L2 witnesses lined up, so it looks like the Cherokee-I on an AT J420R will be my cert attempt. Provided we don't have low cloud cover. Should go right around a mile.

I got my L2 witnesses lined up, so it looks like the Cherokee-I on an AT J420R will be my cert attempt. Provided we don't have low cloud cover. Should go right around a mile.

I'll make sure and bring a Sharpie, so you can change the Cherokee-I to Cherokee-J.

I'll make sure and bring a Sharpie, so you can change the Cherokee-I to Cherokee-J.

Next time I do a Stickershock order, I'm adding a "J". It is really an I rocket, J is stretching it, but it's been such a good rocket I want to use it for the L2.

Cool; I look forward to seeing that for sure!

Oops, what I meant to convey was I needed to get my L2 at the new site and have a look at the site; so later down the line when it is finished I could launch the lander project :)

And potentially the Cherokee-K. Loki has the newly certified 38mm K, which is cool.

Chris - I want to see this...

As Robert said to me in the December DARS launch thread "No shame in letting the casing stick out of the rocket 6" or so as long as the CG/CP is still good"

And potentially the Cherokee-K. Loki has the newly certified 38mm K, which is cool.

Chris - I want to see this...

As Robert said to me in the December DARS launch thread "No shame in letting the casing stick out of the rocket 6" or so as long as the CG/CP is still good"

The 38-1080 case is probably going to require drogue less recovery anyway. I may build a stretch for it though from an extra piece of blue tube I have laying around.

Bummer. Looks like Corsicana is a no go this month but the launch is still on for Gunter fortunately. I'll let AlfaBrewer chime in on the details.

Bummer. Looks like Corsicana is a no go this month but the launch is still on for Gunter fortunately. I'll let AlfaBrewer chime in on the details.

As Robert said, Corsicana doesn't look like it's going to happen this month. The owner has informed us the field is currently more like a swamp, and may not dry out in time. Also, he is planning on getting something in the ground as quickly as possible, once he can get equipment in the field.

Luckily, we have Gunter available, but that does cut our ceiling down by 4000'. Same date, hours, and fees apply.

Also, Gunter is kind of like an amphitheater, which is cool :D.

L2 will have to wait. I can't keep the Cherokee under a mile on a J, even a baby one. Oh well. Time for a rethink of the launch plan. Maybe the Satellite Interceptor then.

We might want to change the title of this thread so new comers aren't misled, but only the original poster can do that. Tom, are you out there?

I believe we'll see a 75mm L motor fly at Gunter; in a rocket of course :). I'm guessing this will be the highest impulse motor flown so far. Looking forward to seeing that!

I believe we'll see a 75mm L motor fly at Gunter; in a rocket of course :). I'm guessing this will be the highest impulse motor flown so far. Looking forward to seeing that!

In a big orange fiberglass Pike?

We had almost two inches of rain here in Van Alstyne last week, which is about 15 miles east of the Gunter site. But it's been so dry that the ground sucks up moisture quickly and it's been so cold global warming that the ground is as hard as a carp. It was 14 F last night with more of this BS on the way. I don't have anything spectacular ready to fly but I did get a new insulated coat for Christmas. I'll probably brave the next Alberta Clipper just to see that 75mm L touch down on the iced over lake!

Hot chocolate anyone?

Back