New to forum

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The local Hobby Lobby carries a few pro-series rockets. I checked them out last time I was there. Haven't decided what to buy next.

Hey Mike!

Those Estes Pro Series II kits are cool, but it's a pretty big step up from you A, B, and C motor rockets, and you'd need to upgrade all your launch gear. How about something in D or E range as a next step?

Check out these kits at AC Supply: https://www.acsupplyco.com/estes/eseries.htm

Any one of those would be larger than you are used to. You might still want some upgrade to your launch gear, but not quite as substantial as what you would need for the PSII kits.

And here are some more challenging kits to build: https://www.acsupplyco.com/estes/challenge.htm

Those are not necessarily all bigger, but they would be more complex, and some can fly on D motors.

Welcome to he hobby. Glad to hear you are having fun!

The local Hobby Lobby carries a few pro-series rockets. I checked them out last time I was there. Haven't decided what to buy next.

The Pro series rockets at Hobby Lobby are probably all going to be the Skill level E2X (Easy 2 X-semble) ones that fly on the big 29mm Estes motors carried at Hobby Lobby. That will give you a really impressive flight! And the materials are all more robust that the low power kits. But if you are looking for a more complex or challenging build, maybe something else would be more to your liking. It all depends what you are looking for.

thanks for all the feedback! I ended up buying a Baby Bertha at the HL. The one local to me doesn't carry anything above lvl. 1 kits, and I don't want to do another E2X. I don't want to drop more money on upgraded equipment at this point, so I'm sticking with rockets that use the A,B, & C motors. I'm really interested in lvl. 2 kits, as well as non-Estes kits, esp. recreations of discontinued estes models.

thanks for all the feedback! I ended up buying a Baby Bertha at the HL. The one local to me doesn't carry anything above lvl. 1 kits, and I don't want to do another E2X. I don't want to drop more money on upgraded equipment at this point, so I'm sticking with rockets that use the A,B, & C motors. I'm really interested in lvl. 2 kits, as well as non-Estes kits, esp. recreations of discontinued estes models.

Sounds good!

There is always online ordering too. I posted those links above to AC Supply, which has great prices, and another great source is Hobbylinc. The selection is much broader online, so you'll find kits with different skill levels, and prices will be very discounted over what you pay at Hobby Lobby if you pay full price. And you should NEVER pay full price! Be sure to use your 40% discount on one item per person each time you go to Hobby Lobby. You can bookmark it on your smartphone if you have one, and just show it at the register to get 40% off one item. Or print it out at home before you go.

Here's the one for your phone: https://m.hobbylobby.com/coupon

Here's the printable one: https://www.hobbylobby.com/weekly/coupon.cfm

Just saying hi :) South Texas is on my very short list on places to move, McAllen area to be exact. Don't know when for sure but I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up there, too many things I can do there I can't do on the Oregon coast. Like if I take my improved sound & lighting company to south Texas I'd stand a much better chance of success than I would in Brookings, Oregon. No mountains to drive over, small things like that. New bugs to learn but isn't that a part of the adventure? ;)

Thank you. I visited their site and noticed that they hold events about 20 minutes away from where I live. I'm going to try to attend one of their next gatherings.

The Vikings had many great events at Pole Green but the expansion of the sports facilities brought it to an end.
I believe there are some electric RC flyers on weekends at the back end of the ball fields, but not much else.
Vikings still have great club members and we occasionally get together, but finding a new field has been a challenge.
Most of the options for flying that need a large recovery area will require a drive.

Culpeper is a great place to fly everything from big to small and well worth the trip.
https://battlepark.org/
VAST has had several field changes themselves but has a great group of guys.
https://www.valleyaerospace.com/
HOVAR is also worth checking out.
https://cavemanchemistry.com/hovarwp/

I have been making the trek to Maryland for the big events and that club is hard to beat for their annual spring and fall "Red Glare" it is one of the regions biggest.
https://mdrocketry.org/

Last edited:
Hi everyone ,from the Island of Puerto Rico, ,i am getting back to this hobby i use to fly starter set rockets , most of them was c size motors,they was fun to fly until they lasted, which was not very long with me,I am a NYer who was born and raise in Brooklyn NY,live there for over 45 year give or take because i serve 6 years in the arm forces (USMC) after 7 years after my divorce i move to PR to take care of my mom we have land over here very small farm she got too old to take care of the place by herself, so no i am here for 7 years now, but this place is nothing like the states not much to do here ,i use to hunt, fish, fly my RC planes and helicopter, and ski in the winter and believe it or not go trout fishing in mid winter, cant do those things here,flying a rc planes or helicopter is more expensive hobby then the states. still have my Raptor 30 that uses a Glow Engine, But my remote is shot do i dont have the money to get a new one right now money is pretty tight for me these day ,anyway getting back to the hobby , and i am making my own rockets and will be making my own motor which is not very hard at all, like i said im tight on money beside i like making my own things the pc im using i build it from the ground up ,the only big problem i have is looking for people on the Island who into Rocketry i found a group onfacebook which they claim they became a member of the local Chapter of the NAR #760, but it seen the group site is dead , no activly for over 2 months this is their FB , i sent a group request no reply yet https://www.facebook.com/groups/503971469657843/ i also looking for anyone that live on the west side of the Island who part of this forum group to sent me a message so we could hook up and fly these Birds out here, as soon as i get permisson to post some picture of my bulds i will post them,im using the mail in 2 inch dia by 24 inch tube you get from the post office they also sell the 3inches i found out , again to all hi from the ISland of pr

Great to know! Thank you. I hope we are able to make the trip. I have been looking at the different clubs around the area and definately want to attend some events.

Battle Park really is fun. Only condition is that the launch actually has to happen. :p I would say if you make it to any launch, make it the Battle of the Rockets. I went last year and it was great.

Hi everyone ,from the Island of Puerto Rico, ,i am getting back to this hobby i use to fly starter set rockets , most of them was c size motors,they was fun to fly until they lasted, which was not very long with me,I am a NYer who was born and raise in Brooklyn NY,live there for over 45 year give or take because i serve 6 years in the arm forces (USMC) after 7 years after my divorce i move to PR to take care of my mom we have land over here very small farm she got too old to take care of the place by herself, so no i am here for 7 years now, but this place is nothing like the states not much to do here ,i use to hunt, fish, fly my RC planes and helicopter, and ski in the winter and believe it or not go trout fishing in mid winter, cant do those things here,flying a rc planes or helicopter is more expensive hobby then the states. still have my Raptor 30 that uses a Glow Engine, But my remote is shot do i dont have the money to get a new one right now money is pretty tight for me these day ,anyway getting back to the hobby , and i am making my own rockets and will be making my own motor which is not very hard at all, like i said im tight on money beside i like making my own things the pc im using i build it from the ground up ,the only big problem i have is looking for people on the Island who into Rocketry i found a group onfacebook which they claim they became a member of the local Chapter of the NAR #760, but it seen the group site is dead , no activly for over 2 months this is their FB , i sent a group request no reply yet https://www.facebook.com/groups/503971469657843/ i also looking for anyone that live on the west side of the Island who part of this forum group to sent me a message so we could hook up and fly these Birds out here, as soon as i get permisson to post some picture of my bulds i will post them,im using the mail in 2 inch dia by 24 inch tube you get from the post office they also sell the 3inches i found out , again to all hi from the ISland of pr

Welcome! I looked at the NAR website, and they do list a section in Puerto Rico, but there's no contact information.

https://www.nar.org/local_club/puerto-rico-rocket-society-prrs-760/

thanks for replying QQuake2k, it the same people on the facebook i look into already , thanks , i guess no man is a Island ,lol

thanks for replying QQuake2k, it the same people on the facebook i look into already , thanks , i guess no man is a Island ,lol

Are you able to get Estes motors on the island? I don't think NAR sanctions sugar or other homemade motors.

i have not check on all the hobby store here on the island dont know if anyone carry them , most hobby store here sell anything with rc , plane, cars ,boat , and helicopter as for store like walmarts they order rockets and anthing else from another vender take a look and dont know if you have to pay more for the shipping take a look and you see what i mean https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=estes rocket engines&method=related , lots of these store dont believe on putting their store on the net , so most likely they have to order the motors from amazon, everything is so difference from the states

Last edited:
The best thing for me is just to find people who like rocketry in this island once i find them i know i could get hold of the motors and suchs , building rockets look easy for me took 4 years of mech engineering ,in HIGH School when HS use to teach for real in the 70s

I bet some of the rocketry vendors would ship to Puerto Rico and other US territories.

LOL, went to walmart today they had nothing for rocketry everything has to be order, but i did found a hobby store that sell rockets , launchers ,and motors up to C they said the D fly to high and expensive , The funny thing is they sell the 9700 Leviathan™ which cost $61 over here and which requires a E motor minto fly, G will fly better , so go figure???, the c motors runs $4.50 each they dont sell them in packs well it a start , better then nothing as they say

Hello all, new member here. I flew estes rockets as a teenager and just recently decided to move into MPR. I'm out of Monroe, NC and know a couple of guys who used to own a Hobby Lobby here so they're real helpful in answering my questions. I just completed a 6' 80/20 rail launcher and "toolbox" controller with integral AGM battery. I'm sure I be asking some questions and thanks for looking. I'm glad to be here.
Jeff
L1_zps6mimixqx.jpg

C1_zpsxk2dzcap.jpg

Last edited:
Back