comp3 build (l2)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well...was thinking/hoping to get it ready for a flight in September...:). need to buy one or more allen wrenches, to replace the miss-placed one for the av-bay screws.
Rex

That would be a good time to fly at the Bong the tall grass's will be down by then. K1100 is a very nice motor. How high on it?

*disclaimer* I have not adjusted the design file *disclaimer*
using CJ's design file the K1100 would get it to about 9000AGL which is a tad high for my tastes. I am thinking either a big I or a J350 and keep it under 4K.
Rex

Realizing you know and plan to adjust the design file- And that you'll likely wind up a bit lighter than I did- I'll toss in for consideration that my 3" Darkstar tipped the scales in at 9 pounds less motor, 11 on the pad. K1100T hit 6900, K805G hit 7100.

got the major work on the av-bay lids done, I will need to install the altimeter(and wire it). forward end pictured below.
Rex

comp3av.jpg

Rex,
check the weight of that file. I did 2...the files are same. Just changed weights of parts,may or may not changed the material [paper-fiberglass] one file was 9lb ish [fiberglass version] the other was around 4-5 lbs [paper version]. The light one was for a ringer in a drag race. Every thing paper , but glass cone & fins....LOL

A great motor selection for your L-2 at Bong or anywhere for that matter, would be a 2 or 3 grain in either AT [852-1280 case] or CTI 2-3 grain cases]
There are a number of great selections in either AT or CTI, depending on what available. AT J-275 or CTI 2 g classic will get you around 3500-4200 ft and a CTI -3grain White or AT J-415 L should go 4400-5500 depending on your finished weight...say 9-10lbs ready to fly.

Any of the loads used in either 2-3 grain cases should get you close to above, which I would think near perfect for a "see it all the way up & down" L-2 flight. and Bong conditions.

Best of luck on your attempt!

I apparently have the 'heavy' file :). preliminary guess for mine is roughly 8.8 pounds with a J350 (and 3300'). 3300' is doable at Bong w/o tracker(I've done it before albeit on a smaller motor, I211). wired up the alt, slid it into the av-bay and powered it up...well it definitely will not wake the dead or bother anybody near by :).
Rex

Rex, having been a flyer at Bong for over 20 years I launch nothing there without a tracker( no tracker in LPR) This has saved me, and several of my buds large/expensive rockets from being lost for good.

You fly with WOOSH, right? Somebody must have a tracker you can borrow. To not do so is inviting expensive loss.

despite having to work around the weather, I was able to get the upper section painted, lower section(with luck) will have a similar scheme, lower bit with fins black and the rest orange.
Rex

comp3upper.jpg

thank you. the black is 'Rusto black metallic' and the orange is Rusto 'orange (a chalmers)' enamel...so I had to wait a couple of days before I could move it to take photos. anyway here are some pics of it painted.
Rex

comp3p1.jpg

comp3p2.jpg

comp3p3.jpg

I did go out and measure the width of the back seat...greater than 48" so I can fit the thing into the car :).
Rex

did my ground test for charge size. my tape/pins sheered as desired, and everything that I wanted deployed did so(those bits I did not want deployed did not deploy).
Rex

parakletor.jpg

and now it has been flown, went 2557' on an AT J350w. L2 achieved. pics are dl data from the alt & me arming the Alt.
Rex

l2certdata.jpg

l2certpad.jpg

thanks CJ. borrowed a page from you and used 'shear tape' to prevent drag separation of the two sections, did get an odd look from Sather who then asked, 'did you ground test this configuration?'. looking at the data, it took roughly 100' from deploying the main until the rocket was slowed down to landing speed.
Rex

thanks CJ. borrowed a page from you and used 'shear tape' to prevent drag separation of the two sections, did get an odd look from Sather who then asked, 'did you ground test this configuration?'. looking at the data, it took roughly 100' from deploying the main until the rocket was slowed down to landing speed.
Rex

Congrats on the cert!

I also started using tape to prevent drag sep, after flying a camera on my L3 test flight using an L850w, I realized how close to disaster I came. The two sections wiggled apart. It was hanging off the very end of the avionics bay when the apogee charge finally fired.

I also started drilling vent holes, as the other part of the problem was pressure differential due to higher pressure in the rocket assembled at sea level.

So what's your plans now? Let the $$$$ will roll!!

thanks. methinks that I should spend some time 'enjoying' my new range of motor options and the rockets that are now possible. for me the sound of both the apogee charge followed by the motor charge was a relief, told me that the altimeter was working as planned.
Rex

Latest posts

Back