Pad Controller for Spikey and Others - Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Random Flying Object

Reaction score
So, I have decided to build a pad controller to go along with Spikey, my L3 build, and a friends new launch tower. Several folks in our local club are diving in to larger projects and attending out of town launches so I figured a super cool launch controller is in order for our quickly developing away cell.

I wanted a launcher controller that had some extended capabilities in addition to just igniting a motor starter. Cool stuff like: pad water, lighting, multiple video angles with DVR, hybrid and bi-liquid fueling capabilities, wireless, etc.

I will also be integrating my test stand electronics in to this pad controller.

I have attached a few photos to get started. I am interested in hearing about any capabilities you may think up that could be integrated.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1419717087.702243.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1419717120.144235.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1419717161.786635.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

I think I am just about ready to freeze this design and get a panel cut.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1438370685.729476.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I think I have final settled on a panel layout. In addition I have built the controller platform and mounted most of the electronics: primary controller, DVR and the wireless access point. Most of the code has been written and a few cables made. Finally making some real headway on this project.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1450100681.493808.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1450100702.308394.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1450100725.829417.jpg

Just from a human interface design point, I would move the connections away from the people controls so they don't have to reach over the cables sticking out of the box. The connectors and stiff cables should stick up at least 6 to 8 inches and get in the way of operating the control panel. I would put the connections in a line along the front part of the box so they stick out away from the box instead of interfere with the operator.

Just a thought.

Just from a human interface design point, I would move the connections away from the people controls so they don't have to reach over the cables sticking out of the box. The connectors and stiff cables should stick up at least 6 to 8 inches and get in the way of operating the control panel. I would put the connections in a line along the front part of the box so they stick out away from the box instead of interfere with the operator.

Just a thought.

Yep, I hear you. I wanted to cluster them in the lower right hand corner, but simply ran out of room, inside and out. I prefer not to put connectors on the outside of boxes with out a recessed cup, they alway seem to get broken. Currently the cables will stick up a few inches like you mentioned and pull down and to the right. I originally thought about running them across the top, but that prevents pulling the lid partially closed to keep the sun off the front panel. The cables will interfere with the use of the temperature readings for the test stand, but those numbers are just there to make sure the TC's a hooked up. The cables that run across the bottom of the ignition controls are for programming and extra special stuff anyhow and won't get used much. I assume most of the time it will be ran with only the ignition portion anyhow. But, if I need something else, it's already there.

Luckily the LCO box, iPad control and remote panel interface don't have any cables in the way.

Have you thought about using a M-M bulkhead connector on the box and then connect the internals to the box and all the cables to the box instead of the panel? It would cost more, but allow all cables to exit the box instead of the panel but still allow removal of the internals if needed.

Have you thought about using a M-M bulkhead connector on the box and then connect the internals to the box and all the cables to the box instead of the panel? It would cost more, but allow all cables to exit the box instead of the panel but still allow removal of the internals if needed.

I did consider such a design and have built a few boxes in the past with such a connector arrangement. However, I am a bit rough on my cases and would really like all of the connectors to be completely enclosed for the shelf position. I have even gone to the extent of making recessed connector cups on some systems, but didn't have the interior volume for that on this project.

It's alive. I still have a bunch of work to do but I was able to ignite, test and gather data from some test motors.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1461638185.715366.jpg

The video feeds on the pad/test stand box are good to go. I was able to test some motors last weekend and captured video from multiple angles, very handy.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1463403608.231080.jpg

Back