BALLS 24

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Green with Black NC rocket at 1:20 is Team Hardtail's rocket named Pinhead ... and that's me running in the next sequence.
Has my new pinned & case bonded motor.

Last edited:
Mark, as I get closer to having my project ready I have been thinking about the time at Balls. It will be my first time there so this my be a dumb question, Is it possible to hire a member of your local club for a couple hours to help when it comes time to fly the pig I am bringing ? Maybe for their fees paid and lunch or cash ? There are quite a few people I know going from Texas but they will be busy with their own stuff. A little manual labor would be a big help, if you could put me in touch with someone let me know. Looking forward seeing some amazing flights this Sept.

Robert,

My wife and I will be there this year and we would be more then happy to help. It may cost you a few cold ones and shared rocket knowledge. Last year was my first Balls and we had an incredible time. EVERYONE there was helpful and there are no shortages of assistance. Matter of fact there was another rocketeer that is also on this forum that goes by DROC and he saved my rocket from becoming a balistic missile. I got lost in the excitement of getting my rocket on the lauch stand and he discovered I was missing my ejection charge. After a little embarrassment, he put the correct amount of black powder for my ejection charge and sent me on my way. The commraderie out there is really nice. Everyone wants to see every rocketeer be successful. It never hurts to have a fresh set of eyes look at your project. Just private message me and I will give you my contact info as we get closer to Balls. I am looking forward to helping you with your project.

It's Alive!
The BALLS website is now public

M
Don't send your registration to me.

One more public thank you for the previous years. I am a newcomer and so far only made one event, but it was clearly well orchestrated and I had a blast.

BR%20snow.jpg

Anyone want to head out the Black Rock?

Tony

The Rockets Magazine flight videos are now up on YouTube.

Balls 24

Looking forward to the DVD being released.

Looks like a postcard.

Thanks for the praise, we gave it our best and had a great time doing it.

The thing I liked the best was being at the away cell when a big one was about to go, the anticipation, stress, fear, hopes, dreams of sometimes years of work standing there. I could be one of the last people standing with the rocket and walking away with the principals in the project All the BS is over, it is the real deal, the farm has been bet and just requires a tiny push of a button to see if everything, the planning, engineering, materials, and craftsmanship was right. The rocket launches either with cheers or tears.
I go to the next away cell and live the thrill again.
When people talk about such and such rocket from years ago, I can smile and think, I was there!
I got to stand with the rocket gods.

That is what drove me to run BALLS for 18 years.

Mark

Last edited:
For a desert, they sure get a lot of precipitation there. Sometimes, a lake even forms!

Mark, let me chime in with my thanks for all the work you've done to put on that launch. Always my favorite weekend of the year. But now, I'll get to see you fly some of those rockets you've been talking about. That should be fun.

Jim

Yea, thanks Mark... it was first time last year.. Everything was awesome. Nice people. You did a hell of a job and thanks for letting me participate. ..

Mark,
I was there last year and it was awesome, thank you for the effort. Your description is exactly what it was for me, Hundreds of hours of work, knowledge and craftsmanship on the line and a solo 1700 mile drive each way for a L3 cert flight. It's good you get to fly more but I don't know how to top going from cell to cell. I plan on being back next year, again thanks.

Thanks guys
With out you bringing rockets it is just a bunch of dusty people sitting in the desert.

M

Thanks guys
With out you bringing rockets it is just a bunch of dusty people sitting in the desert.

M

I totally disagree. If NO ONE brought ANY rockets YES but otherwise I have almost as much fun seeing people that I consider friends even if only once or twice a year. Saturday night potlucks at Jacks trailer. The guy that unplugged my China Freight generator because he couldn't take the noise only to have me "hunt" him down by following the cord to his super quiet Yamaha. Then refusing me giving him some gas and then showing up the next night with King Crab Legs. Drinking apple pie with Wasie and meeting Skippies campaign manager. The Brooklyn video crew that camped with us last year bringing good times and great campfire stories. Waking up to see Dereck in his sleeping bag on the tailgate of his truck freezing because it was 26 and he had no coffee maker. Offered him a cup and had a good friend for years to come. Driving all over the back of the playa to find someone's rocket they thought was unrecoverable.
I have been around BALLS since 05 either spectating flying or helping others group projects. I retired my first 5.5" HAWK there. It has been the highlight of launches for me the last few years and especially the last certifying L3 with my 7.5" HAWK.
I hope to become more involved with Tripoli Gerlach and BALLS in the future.
Thanks for the great times and many memories of past launches.

Speaking of great times, The ROCKETS Magazine Balls 24 issue is out. Get your FREE copy at:

https://rocketsmagazine.com/

Be sure to click on the vendors ads and on the photographs, as many of them will lead you to video of the flights.

Enjoy.....

Neil

:flyingpig:

Neil...My nook can not download the latest copy of the magazine from the home site. When are you going to email people about the latest copy? It is the only way I can download a copy. Thanks Greg Olson

The e-mails should be going out soon. We apologize for the delay...

BTW, ROCKETS Magazine just started a Facebook page for those of you so inclined, check it out.... https://www.facebook.com/groups/1701374983480056/

Neil...My nook can not download the latest copy of the magazine from the home site. When are you going to email people about the latest copy? It is the only way I can download a copy. Thanks Greg Olson

What an incredible event - thank you Rockets Magazine for covering it and sharing the images/videos.

BALLS is high up on my 'to do' list. First things first though, ordering the DVD :)

What an incredible event - thank you Rockets Magazine for covering it and sharing the images/videos.

BALLS is high up on my 'to do' list. First things first though, ordering the DVD :)

We get a bunch of Aussies attending BALLS. If you come I believe they ship a container with airframes and such.

M

Back