BALLS 24

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Newbie question: It appears that unless you have. "Balls-out" project (or support one) and are a Tripoli member you're really not welcome to observe. Is that the case?

RK

We get quite a few just spectators.
Anyone can be there behind the safety line.
All who attend (and don't live in Gerlach) must register and pay range fee.
To launch commercial there is a minimum K impulse. Research of any impulse may launch.
There is an exception to the min impulse if you come from a country where you cannot fly.

Mark

Last edited:
Why so late in the year? You will have much better weather in the summer before the frontal pattern begins in the fall. (And before Burning Man which tears up the playa.)

Yeah let's shoot for August and fry at 110 degrees. BALLS is perfect. Cool days and nights just right. Hoping to have a project to fly last year acting as support (not by choice) and with little support gear wasn't fun.

Mark,
My fees are in the mail today, from what I have heard it will be legendary, really looking forward being there.

DO NOT SEND IN YOUR BALLS REGISTRATION UNTIL JUNE 2015
All Registrations and Fees must be received by September 19th - NOT postmarked by September 19th.
• • We'll be on our way to Black Rock and never receive it!! • •

Tony

I didn't see the June date and the mail pick already picked up. Sorry about that, I saw people listed as attending and figured registration was open.

Mark, as I get closer to having my project ready I have been thinking about the time at Balls. It will be my first time there so this my be a dumb question, Is it possible to hire a member of your local club for a couple hours to help when it comes time to fly the pig I am bringing ? Maybe for their fees paid and lunch or cash ? There are quite a few people I know going from Texas but they will be busy with their own stuff. A little manual labor would be a big help, if you could put me in touch with someone let me know. Looking forward seeing some amazing flights this Sept.

We can find you someone at the launch, there are many who will be willing to help.
I can't give you a name at this time as it is early in registration

M

Mark, as I get closer to having my project ready I have been thinking about the time at Balls. It will be my first time there so this my be a dumb question, Is it possible to hire a member of your local club for a couple hours to help when it comes time to fly the pig I am bringing ? Maybe for their fees paid and lunch or cash ? There are quite a few people I know going from Texas but they will be busy with their own stuff. A little manual labor would be a big help, if you could put me in touch with someone let me know. Looking forward seeing some amazing flights this Sept.

Just ask the man on the PA make an announcement for help and be prepared for plenty to show up to help out. I had it announced that I had rockets available for test flights and got 3 experimental motors to fly :)

I look forward to meeting you guys. Just so you know my 8 inch Pike weighs 75 lbs , so you may want to introduce yourselves after it is safely back on the ground and loaded in the truck.

Lifting weight is never a problem driving into the desert 15 miles out and then the 2 mile hike up the side of a mountain is where I start to wonder why I'm in the hobby. Stop by the camp say hi hopefully my 6" Sand Spike and 5.5" HAWK will be done in time.

Lifting weight is never a problem driving into the desert 15 miles out and then the 2 mile hike up the side of a mountain is where I start to wonder why I'm in the hobby. Stop by the camp say hi hopefully my 6" Sand Spike and 5.5" HAWK will be done in time.

Two miles up the side of the mountain? About that time I'd be using the well worn phrase, " Sleeps with the lizards..." ;)

Two miles up the side of the mountain? About that time I'd be using the well worn phrase, " Sleeps with the lizards..." ;)
It happens even at "The Rock" where there's miles of recovery space. I have retrieved stuff even a week or so later. I still find things out in the weeds that were lost many moons ago. I have explored quite a bit of the area and continue to do so every chance I get. We even found some mud out by the Black Rock this last trip.
photo.php

I have a question, on the paperwork it asks for your cert level. I am under the Tripoli Mentorship Program (my mentor is L2 and will be there). What should I put in the section that asks for cert level?

Back