BALLS 24

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, must be an exporting problem. Im using new (to me) editing and exporting software and my computer isn't exactly lightning fast. I may or may not try re-uploading.

Alex

This was my first trip to Balls and I want to thank everyone for all their hard work, the launch was spectacular and the people great.

Want to put out a special thanks to the unknown guys that recovered and returned my Black Brant 6 to the LOC table. LCO thought it was the Alaskans but when I went over to thank them they said they weren't the ones who found it.

So if you recovered this rocket

BB6 liftoff.jpg

Thanks for the help. If you have any coordinates or info on where it was I'd greatly appreciate the info. Thanks, Scott

Alex,

Nice video! Any way I can get a copy of the lift off video for my P-9000 redneck red?

Narcissa on P-9000.jpg

Thanks, Scott

I just finished the BALLS 24 video with all the footage I took. I tried to get as much as possible, but I couldn't get every flight. Enjoy!
[video=youtube;zrqtr2ST5Tg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrqtr2ST5Tg[/video]

Individual videos to come later.

-Casper

Very nice video. It's this event that I look forward to hearing flight reports from every year and its videos like yours that allow me to catch a glimpse of the huge display of awesome that happens on the playa.

Wow, what a launch.. this is why everyone makes such a big deal about attending this one..
Manny you got some pics that were the shots of a lifetime. .
And Alex, that video is just insane, it came out gorgeous. ..
This is so far for me though,, I'd sure love to make this launch next year..

Teddy

Looks like a great event, what was the highest altitude reached over the weekend?

We had good weather this year, just some wind, not bad for Black Rock, of Saturday afternoon.
Beats the heck out of the snow a few years ago.
A lot of rockets over 50 and 100k.
There was an obvious lack of the N5800 rockets we had for a couple years.

M

My project was just too much work to be able to do some good picture planning. If not for Manny and Casper I wouldnt have much as far as pictures and video. So many Thank you's to both of you ! I did get a video but I was so close I couldn't tell if the air start ignited or if it spit the igniter. Again thanks for the good picture taking.
Terry

Still hoping someone got better coverage of my L3 flight, hah!
fkXldqO.png

Heins didn't get out there for that L3 Watermelon? He was pretty good at following us around as well as Peter got some stuff for Richards flight. Then again i guess no one else got a pic of my HAWK except Heins and Nikola.
Mike

Then again i guess no one else got a pic of my HAWK except Heins and Nikola.
Mike

I didn't get any pics, but were you loading up the hawk adjacent to the 1,000' pads on Saturday morning around 10? We were out loading up my 6" Black Brant II and I seem to recall looking over and seeing a hawk being loading about the same time.

Mike

Maybe one pic (cropped) from one of my fellow flyers.

BBII with Hawk - edit.jpg

Here is a video I put together.
I used Mike Moore's hand-held video plus the GoPro's we had strapped to a "selfie Stick" we wire-tied to our big pad.
We had the GoPro's at the top of the pad about 2 feet out to the side, one pointing up and the other down.
I edited them in after Mike's liftoff footage of each flight.
The down-looking pad-cams are run at 1/4 speed...otherwise they are too fast!

Sorry if this goes a little long at times - you can spend endless hours editing and I needed to be done.
Gabe's Nubian flight on-board video is all there in its spinning glory.
He put a 2-foot drogue on it hoping for some hang-time on the video -- what a violent ride ending in the un-screwing detach and thankfully short drop to the playa at the end.

We only had the selfie-stick on the big pad -- little motors (M or smaller) went of the little pad so no selfies.

The flights are in order of appearance....see my liftoff photos somewhere above for the list of what's to come....
We missed Becky's flight -- Mike was right before her and was busy shagging his rocket and missed filming her flight.

Note - all motors built by me except Brent's TT flight.

[video=vimeo;141468954]https://vimeo.com/141468954[/video]

Last edited:
This flight was straight up amazing. The whistle all the way up was the coolest rocket whistle I have ever heard! :)

Thanks I heard that from several people who were on the line I never heard it. I have heard it after a K2045 VMax in my 5.5" and it's even better after motor shutdown.

Looks like a great event, what was the highest altitude reached over the weekend?
Jim Jarvis' 3-stage as I recall - 130K?

There was an obvious lack of the N5800 rockets we had for a couple years.
That must have been why there were fewer shreds and CATOS this year! ;)

And thanks to Manny, Casper, Fred and all others for the photos/footage - very nice work.

The photos ROCKETS Magazine took at Balls 24 are now posted on the ROCKETS Magazine web site rocketsmagazine.com

Neil

:flyingpig:

The photos ROCKETS Magazine took at Balls 24 are now posted on the ROCKETS Magazine web site rocketsmagazine.com

Neil

:flyingpig:

Wish I could find it....all I see is Balls-23 stuff.....can you post a LINK please

Typically the date is announced early January.
AHPRA is now out of running BALLS and it will be done by Tripoli Gerlach, I do not know what the plan is.

M

Back