13mm Fiberglassed AIM-120 AMRAAM W/ TTW Fins.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've decided to finish this one up ASAP without Tip to Tipping the Fins. I was only going to do that out of Spite anyway and the weather is getting to be flying weather soon, so it's time to prime!!!

I just used Testors brush on paint to make the nose cone white. Then I took it outside and clear coated it. The clear melts the brush stroke lines in the Testors, so it should look ok when it dries. I'm out of white spray paint, but I'll re-do it when I get some.
It only went about 70'-80' high on the 1/2A3, so later on today I hope to fly it on an A10-3T.
I also took yesterdays flagging tape Streamer out and gave it a nylon ripstop streamer with drag slits cut into it.

AMRAAM AIM-120 13MM 2015-04-16 002.jpg

Last edited:
Nicely done!

I give a lot of credit to you guys that can do such fine, detailed work on such small rockets. And glassing! Outstanding!

Later!

--Coop

Another cool part is that I now have a rocket that I can safely fly and recover in my backyard if I use the 1/2A3 motor.:wink:

The sim for this one was done on my old computer, and I never uploaded the ork. file to anything, so I'll have to re-create it. It's not that I need a sim, but I've come to enjoy making them and working in Openrocket.:)
It's especially fun when you have a completed rocket to use since you don't need to guess at the expected weight or CG.:)

Very cool! How much nose weight did you end up with? Looks like it flies very well and the TTW fins and fiberglass are awesome.

Back