Air Start fun with the Klingberg Rocket Wing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tab28682

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Ran across some pictures of me and my flying buddies launching a Klingberg Rocket Wing, doing air starts after a piggyback ride on the back of an Eflite Apprentice to about 300 feet.

The good news was that my flying buddy Richard Ng scored the Rocket Wing for 30 bucks built and covered at an RC swap meet. The bad news was that someone covered it in chrome Monokote...:)

Flights on D11Ps were kind of boring from ground level. So, we decided to carry it up on the back of the Apprentice to a nice altitude for air starting the motor.

I would fly the combo to altitude and swap TXs with another pilot. He would release the Rocket Wing and fly the carrier plane er back to the runway. I would give the safety code required audible countdown and ignite the motor well above 100 feet AGL (usually at about 300 feet) using a small brushed ESC and micro two cell lipo battery on the throttle channel of the Rocket Wing radio. I have a special channel mix on the TX that requires an arming switch (channel 5 toggle switch) to be flipped before full throttle stick movement would activate the motor "starter"

Excellent in flight pictures by the Rocket Wing owner, Richard Ng.

Great fun and a nice glide back from 700-800 feet.

Anyone else doing air drops and air starts?

IMG_0746.jpg

DSC_0545 ES.jpg

DSC_0645 ES.jpg

DSC_0647 ES.jpg

DSC_0654 ES.jpg

DSC_0655 ES.jpg

DSC_0656 ES.jpg

DSC_0657 ES.jpg

DSC_0676 ES.jpg

Last edited:
Still have one of these Klingburg rocket wings myself. Got ahold of Mr. Klingberg to see what the status of the his line of kits was. Sad to say long gone. He no longer makes any of his planes.

Last edited:
Still have one of these Klingburg rocket wings myself. Got ahold of Mr. Klingberg to see what the status of the his line of kits was. Sad to say long gone. He no longer makes any of his planes.

Yep, the kit company is long gone. A shame. I still have a framed up but not finished original Klingberg wing.

It is not well known that Roland built a full scale manned Klingberg wing that was flown foot launched in SoCal at several slope soaring sites.

image.jpg

Ran across some pictures of me and my flying buddies launching a Klingberg Rocket Wing, doing air starts after a piggyback ride on the back of an Eflite Apprentice to about 300 feet.

The good news was that my flying buddy Richard Ng scored the Rocket Wing for 30 bucks built and covered at an RC swap meet. The bad news was that someone covered it in chrome Monokote...:)

Flights on D11Ps were kind of boring from ground level. So, we decided to carry it up on the back of the Apprentice to a nice altitude for air starting the motor.

I would fly the combo to altitude and swap TXs with another pilot. He would release the Rocket Wing and fly the carrier plane er back to the runway. I would give the safety code required audible countdown and ignite the motor well above 100 feet AGL (usually at about 300 feet) using a small brushed ESC and micro two cell lipo battery on the throttle channel of the Rocket Wing radio. I have a special channel mix on the TX that requires an arming switch (channel 5 toggle switch) to be flipped before full throttle stick movement would activate the motor "starter"

Excellent in flight pictures by the Rocket Wing owner, Richard Ng.

Great fun and a nice glide back from 700-800 feet.

Anyone else doing air drops and air starts?

View attachment 249505

View attachment 249506

View attachment 249507

View attachment 249508

View attachment 249509

View attachment 249510

View attachment 249511

View attachment 249512

View attachment 249514
Very cool! Would have loved to see it in person.

Back