On Rocket Safety...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelRapp

Reaction score
For some reason -- ironically after I severely cut my finger working on a rocket -- I feel compelled to write this.

I've only been back in rocketry for about two months now and I have to say, I find the culture of safety to be extremely refreshing.

I've been involved in a few hobbies that had rules either because one could hurt oneself or others by being careless/reckless or in that the resource was so limited that rules existed in ensure fairness. Frustratingly, some of these hobbies included a contingent that always thought the rules didn't apply to them and seemed to relish in showing that repeatedly. They seemed to spend a great deal of energy showing that they were the "real" hobbyists and/or that the rules were only for the beginners or the unadventurous and unworthy. In another hobby there was a substantial "no one knows if you're breaking the rules so it's okay" vibe.

I grew weary of the subtle peer pressure so I left one hobby completely and greatly downscaled my participation in another.

Here in Rocketry, things seem to be very, very different. Safety is very important to us. We have a code that is printed everywhere you look. In the books, the NAR materials, here on TRF, and in my newly-found club, safety is a point of pride. It is exceptionally refreshing. (Indeed, there seem to be subtle mechanisms to quickly identify those who want to "blow stuff up/play with explosives" and suggest that model rocketry might not be the best hobby for them.)

One thing that I think is really cool is that if you watch some of the multitude of rocketry launch videos, you'll sometimes see parents using rocketry to subtly (or overtly) teach their kids the importance of being careful and responsible. Additionally, I feel confident that if I say or start doing something unsafe, I can feel comfortable that someone is probably going to point that out to me.

Very cool. :)

I have been back in the hobby for a little over a year and hanging around these guys almost as long. Since I don't have a club that I can easily participate with, TRF has instilled rocket safety in me. I have found that there really is a culture of safety in the hobby. I have found this to be true in most of the rocket forums that I have visited. Although I have participated in other hobbies that could end with catastrophic results but none, other than shooting, integrates safety into normal practice like rocketry.

Salute to the rocketeers and TRF for making safety a priority and for making it normal!

I've been involved in a few hobbies that had rules either because one could hurt oneself or others by being careless/reckless or in that the resource was so limited that rules existed in ensure fairness. Frustratingly, some of these hobbies included a contingent that always thought the rules didn't apply to them and seemed to relish in showing that repeatedly. They seemed to spend a great deal of energy showing that they were the "real" hobbyists and/or that the rules were only for the beginners or the unadventurous and unworthy. In another hobby there was a substantial "no one knows if you're breaking the rules so it's okay" vibe.

I've only been back in rocketry for about two months now and I have to say, I find the culture of safety to be extremely refreshing.
Firearms and shooting are like this. Safety is always the first priority. Cooper's Rules, etc.

You can find dumbasses with guns acting like dumbasses on YouTube, but this behavior is not accepted by anyone except other dumbasses. Most shooters are extremely safety-conscious.

Firearms and shooting are like this. Safety is always the first priority. Cooper's Rules, etc.

You can find dumbasses with guns acting like dumbasses on YouTube, but this behavior is not accepted by anyone except other dumbasses. Most shooters are extremely safety-conscious.

+1000

The founders of this hobby originally founded it for safety reasons--kids were hurting themselves trying to pursue their aerospace interests. The founders of the NAR had the same interests in mind.

If you haven't read it, the Jay Apt committee's safety report is an excellent resource to keep us all well-centered on this path: https://www.nar.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/launchsafe.pdf

I was about 12 years old when I was first introduced to rocketry. Back then, following the Safety Code added to my enjoyment and interest in rocketry. Building safe rockets and flying them safely made me feel like a real rocket scientist.

It still does. :)

-- Roger

I'm curious what hobbies these might be.

I was reminded of this thread when I saw this photo:

On the face of it, this looks incredibly dangerous, a tragedy waiting to happen. But because of the extreme safety consciousness of the event organizers, there can be no doubt the safety key to the launch controller has been removed while the children are prepping for launch. There is no way the rocket can accidentally "go off" while they are standing under it.

Back to firearms, I was also reminded of Project Appleseed, a volunteer organization that promotes rifle marksmanship. The way they set up their clinics, there is basically no way anyone can get hurt accidentally. It's really quite impressive. A great way to introduce people to shooting in an environment that promotes safety above all.

I was reminded of this thread when I saw this photo:

On the face of it, this looks incredibly dangerous, a tragedy waiting to happen. But because of the extreme safety consciousness of the event organizers, there can be no doubt the safety key to the launch controller has been removed while the children are prepping for launch. There is no way the rocket can accidentally "go off" while they are standing under it.

Back to firearms, I was also reminded of Project Appleseed, a volunteer organization that promotes rifle marksmanship. The way they set up their clinics, there is basically no way anyone can get hurt accidentally. It's really quite impressive. A great way to introduce people to shooting in an environment that promotes safety above all.

HEY!!! Where did she get the "Good" Aerotech Hat???:confused:
I want one!!! I have the "Not as Pictured" Hat. I love it just the same, as it promotes and shows off the Brand, and I always wear it, but man, I'de sure love to get the Racing Stripe Aerotech Hat!

Heh, it helps that the kids are Jacob Rains and Alyssa Stenberg, both of whom were raised by national competitors and have been flying rockets since they could walk :) Judging by the date taken this was probably at NARAM-48.

Last edited:
and she is checking to see that there is no voltage (stuck button/relay) at the clips before connecting them :).
Rex

NARAM 50 at The Plains, VA. Note the steeplechase railing in the background. Plus, the scenery is too grassy for NARAM 48, which was in Rainbow Valley, AZ.

I agree that rocketry is an excellent hobby for kids and adults of all ages. It is both fun and educational.

Xan

Back