Broken Arrow 54 Av-Bay Parts/ New Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evilash

Reaction score
I don't want to seem like a total idiot... but this is the first instruction free kit I have gotten and don't want to keep ordering parts that are wrong.

What would I need to build the AV-Bay on this kit, and where would one procure those items? Does anyone sell a 3d printed sled?

I assume it is 2 rods, 2 eyebolts, a sled and washers and nuts but I may be wrong... help?

Last edited:
I don't want to seem like a total idiot... but this is the first instruction free kit I have gotten and don't want to keep ordering parts that are wrong.

What would I need to build the AV-Bay on this kit, and where would one procure those items? Does anyone sell a 3d printed sled?

I assume it is 2 rods, 2 eyebolts, a sled and washers and nuts but I may be wrong... help?

Here is a link to a 3d printed 54mm altimeter sled

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/177853777/54mm-altimeter-sled?ref=shop_home_active_12

As far as the bay itself, you can simply use a coupler and like you said some threaded rod. The ends can be anything from wood, phenolic, G10 FG, CF, aluminum, etc. whatever is appropriate for your build. The method of deployment should be determined before you go down this road as it will ultimately have some impact on the design, materials and components used.

Thanks,

The printed sled is awesome, they sent me the G-10 bulkheads already. I think I may have mentally done a "what" when I saw it was just parts. The printed sled makes it a lot easier to plan building it.

I use 6 nuts, 8 washers, 2 eyes, 2 wing nuts, and 2 threaded rods. Add a sled and you have an av bay.

Last edited:
Don't forget wire, switch(es), charge cups (if you are using them), terminal blocks (if you are using them), eyebolts/ubolts/or some other type of harness attachment, something to secure your battery, small hardware to hold down your altimeter, etc.

The thing is, there are MANY variables when designing and building an AV bay. What exact parts and bits you need depends on a lot of factors.

If you go with Landru's printed sleds (or the Missileworks ones which he makes as well), it eliminates a lot of the individual bits and/or it "pre-decides" certain things for you. They are a great product, and I do recommend them. Order the extras along with the sled and you take care of switch, terminal blocks, hardware to hold down your avionics too.

s6

Last edited:
I like doghouse rocketry charge wells and terminal blocks.

They also have the recommended rotary switches, if the altimeter is small like a rrc2+ or the new startolloger cf you can disect the sled with a rotary switch.

Kenny

Thanks everyone, I do appreciate it. I am going to order the missile works one as I do have an RCC3 and it seems to be a great solution in place of the G10 board I use in my other dual deploy that has a 3" X 12 AV bay. Everything seemed so tight in comparison and it freaked me out a little bit. It looks to be a tight fit for packing the main on the broken arrow as well, should be fun!

I got the same kit and was wondering if I was up to the "no instructions" thing... I think I have a handle on all the parts and this thread will definitely help!

I'm not 100% on how the nosecone end should be assembled?
Does the smaller coupler just get glued into the nosecone? How about the nosecone bulkhead?

Does the 1" piece get centered on the 7" coupler?

So I have the av bay deal settled, but with the centering rings being so small I have a new question;

Where would be a good place to mount the shock cord? I ordered nice harnesses from One Bad Hawk but I dont know how to put a hard point in. I was thinking 1" kevlar strap wrapped around the motor tube onder the last CR up to a quick-link but I dont know if there would be a better way.

I am building my BA 54. I used 1" Kevlar glued to MMT. I have done this many times with no problems. Use JB Weld.

I assume like a madcow build? Cut a small hole in the base of the last CR to run it through? Thanks for the help

I'm not 100% on how the nosecone end should be assembled?
Does the smaller coupler just get glued into the nosecone? How about the nosecone bulkhead?

That will work. You can also build it as an av-bay if you get another airframe bulkhead. Many many ways to build a NC. My next one I'm planning to glue the bulkhead, but use screws to attach the NC to the coupler. Ugly but easy bay.

I assume like a madcow build? Cut a small hole in the base of the last CR to run it through? Thanks for the help

I just file out notches, and epoxy/jbweld right to the tube.

14265307728_96864283f6.jpg

9575145312_92504e7f17.jpg

Thanks for the picture, exactly what I was thinking, putting two together is an idea I had not thought of. Definitely more stable.

For the nose cone, I could put the bulkhead up inside the coupler to get more packing space, the 14" section for the main is rather tight and that would help.

I love this hobby and how helpful everyone is, not all hobbies share this trait,

When doing two, be mindful of spacing for the fins. Also, if you're sandwiching the fins between the CR's, don't fillet the "inner" side of the CR or it'll make getting the fins in place.....difficult.

14461249103_ab3480d251.jpg

Oh, one bit of advice, when you go down to the hardware store for threaded rods and nuts and such, splurge for the forged or welded eyebolts.

Last edited:
Off the top of my head:

(everyone will do this differently)

Pair of 1/4-20 threaded rods
2 wingnuts
2 washers w/ neoprene inserts
8 fender washers
2 lock washers
7 1/4-20 nuts (I use one to hold the sled in place)
2 U bolts and associated washers/nuts
Switch
Cannibalized Cat 5 cable
Terminal blocks
Sled
Battery
Battery lead
Beepy thing that makes ejection charges go "poof"
Small screws to hold beepy thing that makes ejection charges go "poof" to sled
Charge holder things..

Later!

--Coop

This av bay is full of new things for me, So I got the printed sled for the AV bay, the switch mount is at the bottom of the sled, about 5" to the center. The Av bay is 7" long, so I don't know if it would be wise to mount the switch on the band/ access through the static port leaving only 2" to slide into the upper section (Held by rivets) or just mount the band in the middle of the av-bay and drill an access hole in a part of the bay that slides in the upper section.

I just don't see a way to access it from the static ports unless the band is super high on the bay and don't know if it would cause an issue. Has anyone had trouble mounting the band that high?

Back