RIP Joe Cocker

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
The white Ray Charles checks out at 70. Love him or hate him, there'll never be another one like him.

cockerwoodstocko1_400.jpg

"I get by with a little help from my friends."
Woodstock 1969

RIP

Last edited:
My goodness. I thought you meant John Coker (the rocketeer). My heart jumped in my chest when I read this tread title.

Wow,,,
He certainly was a great musician Chuck.....
His music will go on for sure,,,,
With a little help from his friends.............

Teddy

A great singer, for sure, but his stage presence (spasmodic flapping) was a little disconcerting. My first awareness of him and a lot of 60's musicians was during the 80's nostalgia for the 60's (nostalgia lags 20 years, brace yourselves for mid-90's nostalgia). I saw a lot of films about Woodstock, Monterey Pop, and Altamont back then, and I remember Joe doing his thing.

Certainly a unique personality but with apologies to his family and fans, a great singer ? A great musician ? I dunno. Guess you had to be there. But I still find the Woodstock stage announcements (and Sly Stone's set) pretty entertaining. James Earl Jones and his pump action bug spray come to mind.

Certainly a unique personality but with apologies to his family and fans, a great singer ? A great musician ? I dunno. Guess you had to be there. But I still find the Woodstock stage announcements (and Sly Stone's set) pretty entertaining. James Earl Jones and his pump action bug spray come to mind.

It depends on how you define "great" and "singer." Was he a "great singer" like Pavarotti, with a perfectly exercised and trained voice, who can hit every note with perfect pitch? No. Some might argue that Joe Cocker, with his raspy, cracking, vocal-noded voice couldn't sing at all.

But if you consider rock and blues singing as a genre unto itself, with its own rules, then yeah, I would say he was a great singer. He could really sell a song. He made you feel it. The brokenness of his voice connects with the brokenness in all of us, and produces a result.

I'd call that great.

It depends on how you define "great" and "singer." Was he a "great singer" like Pavarotti, with a perfectly exercised and trained voice, who can hit every note with perfect pitch? No. Some might argue that Joe Cocker, with his raspy, cracking, vocal-noded voice couldn't sing at all.

But if you consider rock and blues singing as a genre unto itself, with its own rules, then yeah, I would say he was a great singer. He could really sell a song. He made you feel it. The brokenness of his voice connects with the brokenness in all of us, and produces a result.

I'd call that great.

I'll agree, he was committed to his craft, in every sense. From reading several online sources it appears he finally found a good measure of peace and love without the dope. Cheers to him.

Technically a perfect singer? Hardly.

Iconoclastic/did it his way? Damn straight. He often looked like he was having a seizure while wailing out a number but that's what made him special. He was fully committed to the performance, dancing like no one was watching.

Joe Cocker @ Woodstock

[video=youtube;bRzKUVjHkGk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRzKUVjHkGk[/video]

Back