Some New Products by Estes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the 24mm to 29mm adapter. It says you can use 29mm motors with 24mm kits!

That Redstone oughta' get people pretty excited.

You can say that again.:wink:

I have one from the first release but it is very ratty looking (the tubes are all yellowed and the tip of the escape tower has been snapped off and re-glued a few times as well). I thought about painting the tubes prior to assembly but decided not to at the last minute. However, I'll definitely paint the tubes on this one.

I'll also save this one for the AT 18mm RMS motors. The recommended C6-3 is just a bit weak but does work if the conditions are VERY calm. I've seen one flown on a AT SU D21 and it flew VERY well.

I definitely need some of those adapters. F44s in the PSII kits should work well for low altitude, cheap flights.

I'm curious about that BT-60 Mix-n-Match... The pink rocket and the black and pink one ... What nosecones are those? I think the black one is a PNC-60RL.

I had the mid 80's Redstone. When I got back in this year I looked for one and was shocked at the prices. :y:

I'm glad their bringing it back. It was fun to fly.

The Redstone would be nice to replace the one I have with the POS plastic fins but the Odyssey is a must...

I have refused to pay the outrageous prices on greed-bay for the Redstones. I am so looking forward to getting one, or several. Thank you Estes. And an Odyssey.

Is the Redstone going to be like the K-41 one with balsa parts and BT-60 or the later one with plastic parts and a larger (BT-70?) tube? My research shows that the K-41 was a great flyer and that the later one was a bit underpowered on a C6-3. I would rather build the K-41.

The Odyssey looks marvelous and will be on my "got to have it!" list!

The upcoming Mercury Redstone will use Centuri ST-20 just like the following previous releases: Centuri (KS-1/5131), Estes (1921 and 2067). Unfortunately, a BT-60 based Merc Redstone would need an entirely new mold (many $$$).

The upcoming Mercury Redstone will use Centuri ST-20 just like the following previous releases: Centuri (KS-1/5131), Estes (1921 and 2067). Unfortunately, a BT-60 based Merc Redstone would need an entirely new mold (many $$$).

Mold? The K-41 did not have any plastic parts. It used the BNC-60AK nose cone. I know that Estes mostly uses plastic nose cones, but they have had balsa ones on some recent kits. I know balsa cones can cost $$$ too, but still...

Mold? The K-41 did not have any plastic parts. It used the BNC-60AK nose cone. I know that Estes mostly uses plastic nose cones, but they have had balsa ones on some recent kits. I know balsa cones can cost $$$ too, but still...

I was referring to the fact that Estes would probably use a plastic nose cone these days if a BT-60 sized kit was issued. If you used balsa, Estes would still need new tooling for the nose cone and the front part of the escape tower. The old wrap-ons in the kit would only need to be reprinted. However, building the escape tower out of dowels would be a real pain. The building of the escape tower and the seven-piece fins made the K-41 Mercury Redstone a true skill level 5 kit.

Yeah, I think I'm going to get the Redstone. It is silly that it comes as an 18mm. I need to get one simply to "Right the Wrong", and do it as a 24mm.
I hate "Manned Space Vehicles", but I'll have to make an exception in this case.:dark:

Although come to think of it, I could always get the Kit, then bash it into one of these, and just give the silly People Projectile Nose Cone to someone who is into that sort of thing.

Redstone.jpg

redstone_launch2.jpg

This version of the kit has the old plastic capsule and balsa fins. The body tube is one piece full length. :It comes with water slide decals. It flies just fine on a C6-3 motor. If you up it to 24mm you may need nose weight.

John Boren

This version of the kit has the old plastic capsule and balsa fins. The body tube is one piece full length. :It comes with water slide decals. It flies just fine on a C6-3 motor. If you up it to 24mm you may need nose weight.

John Boren

I live to add Nose Weight to Rockets.:wink:

John Boren

Balsa fins, OK I'll give it a look when it comes out. Thanks John!:D

I wonder how many people will try putting an E9-4 into an Ascender with the motor adapter like they show in the picture... that would be a REAL interesting flight.

When will those 24mm to 29mm Adapters be available?
I have a homemade adapter, but the one pictured looks like it would be a better fit and more versatile.
I'de order one of those right this minute if I could.

Back