50 Years Ago: SR-71

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live about 60 miles downwind from the "Blackbird" air base.

Worked with a number of airmen who served on the SR-71 maintenance team years ago.

I actually got to see it take off and return from missions out of Kadena AFB when I was stationed on Okinawa '89-90, very impressive bird, the Locals called it the "Habu" after the poisonous black snake on the island.

I remember reading a story many years ago that said that it was not uncommon for SR71 missions to detour over Hanoi and, resoundingly B:surprised::surprised:M the daylights of the city.

In particular a three flight sortie going over the city at Mach "Oh my God PLUS" to let our captured Airman/Soldiers in the Hanoi Hilton know we still cared and, too hold on....

I remember those sonic BOOMS when I was growing up. Rattled the whole house. Kind of miss them.

The Blackbird should fly again. And the A-10 is a platform that fills a nitch like no other. They should still make em, or newer similar ones, not just close the door on em. That's like saying an Abrhams A1 can sneek up in the brush and deploy a pazooka rocket like 2 guys on the ground can.

Back