V2 Rocket Details

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philpense

Reaction score
Greetings:
I write as one with a science background and a great interest in the details of the fuel in the V2 Rocket. Have been to the Udvar Hazy location of the Air and Space Museum in Virginia and did research in the microfilm section. It was only at a later date that I found that such documents were likely to be in German without translation.
Although the fuel was composed of Ethanol, Water and Oxygen, I have yet to see these components seen in the form of equations with catalysts, reaction temperatures and pressure. I also have interest in the safety protocols and the details of ignition on launch
Finally, annotated photographs show that the turbopump was made from some aluminum alloy. Looking for similar details and reasoning for the remaining engine components.
Any guidance in this regard is truly appreciated. Much thanks in advance as I await a reply
Cordially,

Phil Pense
Washington, DC

Greetings:
I write as one with a science background and a great interest in the details of the fuel in the V2 Rocket. Have been to the Udvar Hazy location of the Air and Space Museum in Virginia and did research in the microfilm section. It was only at a later date that I found that such documents were likely to be in German without translation.
Although the fuel was composed of Ethanol, Water and Oxygen, I have yet to see these components seen in the form of equations with catalysts, reaction temperatures and pressure. I also have interest in the safety protocols and the details of ignition on launch
Finally, annotated photographs show that the turbopump was made from some aluminum alloy. Looking for similar details and reasoning for the remaining engine components.
Any guidance in this regard is truly appreciated. Much thanks in advance as I await a reply
Cordially,

Phil Pense
Washington, DC

I do not know if those kinds of documents exist. If they did, they would likely be under DoD control since the captured German rocket team was transferred to America via Operation Paperclip courtesy of the US Army.

AFAIK, there was nothing special about the fuel and oxidizer. The Redstone missile is somewhat descended from the V-2 (think Super V-2) so there are a lot of similarities with fuel/oxidizer and the H2O2 powered turbo-pump.

You mind find out something if you contact the folks that ran the Canadian Arrow program, since it was more or less of a replica of the V-2.

Greg

Nice try, but we'll take the secrets of the V2 motors to our graves before sharing them on the internet with someone claiming to be in Washington DC. Also, do you happen to know a Nigerian prince? Your writing styles are very similar - and I have my money order ready to send to him.

Come on everybody, it's Christmas. Let's let bygones be bygones and send Mohammed the formulas. Sheeesh!

Back