Coming soon from Estes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Laser cut wood fins, waterslide decals, historical plastic parts set, 15 in. (38.1 cm) parachute recovery"

The one I built a few years back came with plastic fins, sticker "decals", and two parachutes (one for the booster and one for the capsule).

It will be interesting to see if the fins are shaped as the plastic ones were.

IMHO, the one I built was too heavy for a C6, but flew great on an AeroTech 18/20 D13.

Greg

This might be kind of fun. I gave up my Sat V, because I thought it might test my skills (and patience) a bit too much. But this is a Skill level 3, so that might work for me.

It's a reissue of the version I bought in my 20's. I hated those fins with a passion. I over-sanded the bevel. My later solution was to sandwich a piece of 1/32" birch ply between the parts to strengthen the leading edge. I still haven't finished one of them yet.

Now if they reissue the Mercury Atlas I'd be impressed.

Good to see that this is being re-released so help combat the stupid-expensive prices for this kit on ebay and elsewhere. I hope that Estes finds a way to go through their entire catalog to re-release all of the kits that the hoarders have squirreled away to sell for crazy money (Mercury Atlas and Space Shuttle, I'm looking at you!).

I will most likely buy another one. I have one each of the 2" diameter releases plus one built.

Looks like the one I sold on eBay for $70+ a few years ago - I bought on clearance for quite a bit less.

Definitely gonna have to get one.

I think I'll probably modify it to 24mm (or 29 :grin: ), since it really looks too heavy and draggy for a C.

Way to go Estes!!

Nate

Definitely gonna have to get one.

I think I'll probably modify it to 24mm (or 29 :grin: ), since it really looks too heavy and draggy for a C.

Way to go Estes!!

Nate

or 38mm...

Indeed, this is great that estes is releasing more advanced kits!

Good to see that this is being re-released so help combat the stupid-expensive prices for this kit on ebay and elsewhere. I hope that Estes finds a way to go through their entire catalog to re-release all of the kits that the hoarders have squirreled away to sell for crazy money (Mercury Atlas and Space Shuttle, I'm looking at you!).

Ebay is a really good thing for Estes...basically a free source of market research data! You get a good pulse on demand that way. Hopefully there aren't so many hoarders out there that there's a supply glut...probably not.

I don't really understand paying crazy money for vintage kits...they are not like plastic models where the parts are not interchangeable with other kits or available anywhere else. The kit would have to be really, really unique to be truly scarce enough to demand hundreds of dollars. For that kind of money, why not scratch build?

I don't really understand paying crazy money for vintage kits...they are not like plastic models where the parts are not interchangeable with other kits or available anywhere else. The kit would have to be really, really unique to be truly scarce enough to demand hundreds of dollars. For that kind of money, why not scratch build?

Ya got me on that one. I can understand that the vac-formed things are hard to replicate. On the other hand.....250 for a Mercury Atlas? Give me a break! The issue is, of course, that the price will be what the market will bear. In the end it's just a collection of tubes and plastic bits. But then again this is just a piece of cardboard.

I'm one who also has both this version and the plastic finned version. Even launched them in a drag race. Both were a little heavy for a C6-3 and with a bit of wind tended to weathercock a bit. Stopped flying them just because all the plastic for the capsule and tower was hard to replace.

Glad to see this is coming back...will probably modify to take 24mm engines.

FC

or 38mm...

Indeed, this is great that estes is releasing more advanced kits!

Yes, compared to what their catalog looked like when I first got into rocketry 27 or so years ago, there's just too much RTF or E2X stuff in there now. While it may be good to get someone started, it doesn't do much to keep them interested if most of your designs are just nothing but variations of same or similar 3/4FNC with different paint and stickers.

Yes, compared to what their catalog looked like when I first got into rocketry 27 or so years ago, there's just too much RTF or E2X stuff in there now. While it may be good to get someone started, it doesn't do much to keep them interested if most of your designs are just nothing but variations of same or similar 3/4FNC with different paint and stickers.

Looking at the present offerings from their web site:

10 Pro series (although I will agree most are 3/4FNC style, but not RTF/E2X
4 skill level 5
3 skill level 4
8 skill level 3
23 skill level 2
30 skill level 1 (these are like the Alpha, Baby Bertha, etc)

Do they have a ton of RFT, ARTF, and E2X? Yes (although I'm not sure how to "fairly" count the crayons with the different colors)

But there are still 48 rockets that can be used as stepping stones to some really complex and interesting designs.

Although I do want them to more.. More.... MORE!!!!
Anxiously waiting for the Scorpian, Lynx, and Odyssey (just wish the first 2 were "full size" and not mini-engines - but that's what upscales are for)

Looking at the present offerings from their web site:

10 Pro series (although I will agree most are 3/4FNC style, but not RTF/E2X
4 skill level 5
3 skill level 4
8 skill level 3
23 skill level 2
30 skill level 1 (these are like the Alpha, Baby Bertha, etc)

Do they have a ton of RFT, ARTF, and E2X? Yes (although I'm not sure how to "fairly" count the crayons with the different colors)

But there are still 48 rockets that can be used as stepping stones to some really complex and interesting designs.

Although I do want them to more.. More.... MORE!!!!
Anxiously waiting for the Scorpian, Lynx, and Odyssey (just wish the first 2 were "full size" and not mini-engines - but that's what upscales are for)

I agree with your main point, but have to quibble with your comment about the pro series kits --- 4 of those 10 actually are E2X. There are 6 PSII builder kits and 4 PSII E2X kits. I don't actually have any problem with the fact they've made some E2X kits for the black powder E and F motors. Like you said -- theres something for everyone and plenty of stepping stones to more complex designs.

Latest posts

Back