nose cone plastic types

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watermelonman

Reaction score
At long last I seem to have the technique down for painting Aerotech nose cones!

However now I am building some other models, and wondering if the same technique will be safe. Specifically, the acetone scrub and sand. Are LOC and the larger Estes (Leviathan this time) likely to be of the same plastic? I think it was polypropylene.

At long last I seem to have the technique down for painting Aerotech nose cones!

However now I am building some other models, and wondering if the same technique will be safe. Specifically, the acetone scrub and sand. Are LOC and the larger Estes (Leviathan this time) likely to be of the same plastic? I think it was polypropylene.

LOC is polyethylene (I've talked to Mike Fisher (Binder Designs) about issues painting his nosecones).

According to John Boren (JumpJet), Estes uses High Impact PolyStyrene (HIPS) for the vast majority of their plastic nosecones. They used polyethylene on only a few kits (mostly based around the BT-56 body tube IIRC).

Last edited:

I was hoping I could just paint the aerotech nose cone on my mirage without any special prep. Whats this acetone and sand thing?

I have never had a super shine gloss finish on any plastic nose cone. Dull to little shine is what I end up with.

Back