After 20+ Years...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FizzleStix

Reaction score
I am new to the forum, so I thought I would step up and say hello. I used to fly Estes rockets when I was a kid all the way into my 20s, and for some reason I got out of it. Here I am today, close to turning 50, and I started looking around at rocketing again. Thanks to the interwebs, I was stunned at what the rocketry hobby has become! High power rockets, building you own motors...WOW! :jaw:

I was searching the Estes site and I ordered a Leviathan kit. I'm excited! This ultimately led me here, because I have alot to catch up on, and even more to learn!

Are there any rocket enthusiasts or clubs in the Pittsburgh, PA area? I would like to go to a launch day and see what I've been missing!

Thanks,
Jeff

Welcome back! I'm pretty new to it again after 40+ years of absence. If you check out the NAR or Tripoli site, they will list all clubs in your area but I am sure some folk from your area will chime in and tell you more!

Oops - beat me to it!

Hi FizzleStix,

Welcome back. You sound like you are well on your way to becoming a full fledged BAR (Born Again Rocketeer).

Can't help you with the right coast stuff. I can help you with the Leviathan

First... Don't assemble the motor mount as it is in the instructions. Do glue the forward Centering Ring (CR), and the middle CR in place, but leave the rear one off. This will allow you to do internal fillets, which will improve the strength of the fins. Only then install the rear CR. Do not use the engine block, as it limits the length of the motor you can use. HPR motors typically have a ring of material along the bottom edge that serves the old engine block purpose.

Papering the fins will make the finishing process easier. [Edit] I've found that a fin guide from Payloadbay works wonders on keeping those through-the-wall (TTW) Fins
at exactly the right angle is a cheap and efficient use of time to make. It's easy to use... Just enter in the diameter of the body tube, number of fins, and height of the fins, hit "Submit", and print out the results. Using a glue stick glue the resulting printout to a piece of foam core ($1) at you local dollar store, cut the slots and the space for the body tube, and you'll get very nice results every time. Caveat, these types of fin guides are not so good for surface mount fins (like the LPR kits you made as a kid), as they can skew quite a bit (if you're not lucky).[/Edit]

You can use the supplied launch lugs (LL) or install rail buttons (I recommend rail buttons).

Score some 30 minute epoxy (I like Bob Smith Industries stuff, 'cause I can find it at the local hobby shop (LHS). You'll also need some J.B. Weld (Home Depot) for installing the motor retainer. I like epoxy because you don't get the "pinching" that can occur with other glues when you're gluing CRs or Couplers. Caveat, use strips of masking tape to make sure that the coupler won't slide when you use epoxy to glue it in (otherwise, they can and will slide down into the tube if you're not careful).

Spirals can be filled in a number of different manners (I use RustO's Filler Primer). You'll find a lot of people here like RustO's Painters Touch paints. Krylon has changed its formula, and isn't what it used to be. If you're really into glossy finishes, you might want to look up some of Nathan's builds.

To get the nicest possible nosecone, I recommend that you first "paint" it with a Sharpie, then wet sand it off with 220 grit, and follow that up with a wet sand using 320 grit. Prime and paint should be fine with that. Here's a tutorial on making balsa nosecones (NC) look like plastic, the process is pretty much the same (except for the drizzling CA glue part).

Leviathans can be kinda tricky with its nosecone's slanted attachment point for the shockcord/chute, so you might want to fill, or cut it out. Somewhere around here is a thread or 3 talking about how it has been known to vent the ejection gasses w/o deploying the laundry (and the lawn darts that result).

Stickershock has a reasonable costing set of decals for the Leviathan (I personally went with a dark red that matched the Rusto Sunrise Red perfectly).

Below is the one I made as a commission for a company (stretched w/an extra body tube), a "stock" Leviathan (unfinished), a tennis ball, and a schnoodle named "Murray".

All The Best!
Jim

comercial build.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome back! I'm in a similar situation.

Yessiree, the interwebs really have changed things from when I was doing this in the late '70's - early '80s.

Two examples:
1) List of all clubs in the Pittsburgh PA area, courtesy of rocketreviews.com (another great website)
https://www.rocketreviews.com/search-clubs-2731.html

which yielded a Tripoli club there:
https://www.tripoli-pgh.org/

2) An example build video of a Leviathan, by MaxThrustRC...there are tons of other build videos out there as well
[video=youtube;_vNHmPpVFbk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vNHmPpVFbk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vNHmPpVFbk[/video]

Also check out the go-to blog for building tips:
https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/

Have fun!

Thanks everyone for the welcome. I will be looking into the clubs you suggested.

Thanks, K'Tesh, for the assembly tips...all I can say is WOW! The rockets I built were in a "kid's rush"...I was putting them on the launch pad an hour after I put the last bit glue on them. lol

Now that I'm older, I really enjoy the details more, so I'll be spending alot more time on the building, paint and detail stages. :D

do you use the epoxy for the assembly instead of yellow glue, as well as the fin fillets?

I can feel the bug biting again lol
Jeff

2) An example build video of a Leviathan, by MaxThrustRC...there are tons of other build videos out there as well
[video=youtube;_vNHmPpVFbk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vNHmPpVFbk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vNHmPpVFbk[/video]

Be careful with the epoxy... this guy is doing it bare handed, which can have nasty consequences over time.

Yessiree, the interwebs really have changed things from when I was doing this in the late '70's - early '80s.

You aren't kidding! I am amazed at what you can do today. I have only built and flown Small Estes rockets, and my last build, an old Patriot, was the only one I build that had a plastic nosecone. I've been reading posts about cloning old out of production rockets...even scaling them. I have even downloaded Openrocket and started playing around. Man, have I got alot to learn!

Thanks everyone for the welcome. I will be looking into the clubs you suggested.

Thanks, K'Tesh, for the assembly tips...all I can say is WOW! The rockets I built were in a "kid's rush"...I was putting them on the launch pad an hour after I put the last bit glue on them. lol

Now that I'm older, I really enjoy the details more, so I'll be spending alot more time on the building, paint and detail stages. :D

do you use the epoxy for the assembly instead of yellow glue, as well as the fin fillets?

I can feel the bug biting again lol
Jeff

Not a problem... I mostly use epoxy these days (I'll tack things with Medium CA, and seal edges of papered fins with Thin CA). I don't use white/yellow glue much these days anymore except in smaller builds. I use epoxy for fin fillets exclusively these days (no annoying bubbles when it cures). Use nitrile gloves to protect your skin from the epoxy, as skin exposure can have serious problems over time. I use wooden coffee stir sticks to mix mine in plastic portion cups (found at Target ~$4) to prepare small batches of the stuff (I build smaller kits usually 4" OD is my "fattest" rocket (but only 29ish" tall), my tallest is ~56" tall (to date)).

I've found to avoid gluing myself to various parts, that marking the neck of the Thin CA with a red Sharpie keeps me from grabbing it accidentally when I meant to use Medium.

John Coker has some WONDERFUL videos that show how he builds rockets (stuff like fiber glass wraps, L1 build tips, etc). Check out his site HERE.

Oh, and be careful... Wallets can be drained rather quickly. :wink:

All The Best!
Jim

Last edited:
You aren't kidding! I am amazed at what you can do today. I have only built and flown Small Estes rockets, and my last build, an old Patriot, was the only one I build that had a plastic nosecone. I've been reading posts about cloning old out of production rockets...even scaling them. I have even downloaded Openrocket and started playing around. Man, have I got alot to learn!

You can use my nosecone library as a start to cloning many of your old fleet in OR.

Be careful with the epoxy... this guy is doing it bare handed, which can have nasty consequences over time.

Yes, I agree, and will note that it is one of many build videos, and it actually shows things nicely via the use of stills.

However, handling epoxy (and spray painting in an enclosed area) aren't the best way to do things.

The definitive info website for starting with epoxy, i.e., mixing, handling, understanding, etc., is John Coker's site, specifically this page (one of about a hundred + informative videos & pages on his site):
https://www.jcrocket.com/epoxy-basics.shtml

Let me add another welcome. This is about my third or fourth peak rocketry period. I also fly RC aircraft and tend to do that all the time as well.

I started about 1968 and did a lot until about 1971. Another little peak in 1973 and 1974. A major peak of rocketry activity from around 1990 until 1997 including high power and just got active again this past summer. Doing mostly mid and high power, plus a little bit of low power involving rocket gliders and boost gliders. Looking forward to lots of flying in 2015.

Hey Fizzle,,,
Welcome back to rocketry,,
and welcome to the forum....
You sure are gonna have a great time with building and flying...
If you think you've been bitten by the rocketry bug now...
Do everything you can to make the launch called "Red Glare" in the spring in Maryland...
You'll see some fantastic flights
and more importantly (to me ) the epitome of camaraderie,,,
people getting together that haven't seen each other for a long time....

Teddy

Welcome back and welcome to the forum!
Always good to hear a good BAR story. This is my third go around. Gotta teach the grandkids!

Gotta love TRF. Guy says he's new, and suddenly he is flooded with more advice then he can digest in a year! :wink:

Welcome, take your time, learn as you go. Have fun! And yes, if you are not sure about something, ask before you dive in! Learn from others' mistakes, as we have all made them.

Thanks everyone! I am still making my way via searching the forum, bookmarking model rocketry suppliers, and drooling all over my keyboard looking at what you can do in this hobby. Amazing!

I'm a woodworker and have all the tools, so I hope my skills and patience will be a little better now than before lol. Looking forward to getting my Levithan soon, but I will be doing a bunch of research before I start glueing and painting.

Already in love with another rocket too, which will be my first upscale clone (Blue Bird Zero), but for now I am just looking for dimensions and playing with Open Rocket to learn the ropes.

Shouldn't be too hard...it aint rocket science...oh wait, it is...

Jeff

Hi and welcome back. I'm new to this forum but have been in rocketry since 1967

Hi new people :)

After a while you'll pick-up on all the nuances. And as far as glues are concerned like most you'll soon acquire a caddy of different glues, I have like 8-9 different kinds used at different times. Current favorite is Gorilla Wood Glue, not the polyurethane type but even that has it's place in my caddy. Best stuff I've found to secure a coupler. It wont grab....normally...but I found out the hard way not to try and stuff a 34" full length coupler tube into a BT60...it kinda froze up about 24" in :p That's when I decided cut the couplers down, no sticking that way.

It usually a certain power range that dictates what glue you use determined by asking here first then you know what to do. Old dog as I am I learn things I use from members here. A lot it's DUUUH moments, why didn't I think of that :facepalm:

Got a problem just ask. You'll get a half dozen answers on ways to do the same thing then you get to pick and choose :)

Welcome to the madness, Jeff. Beware, the BAR bug bites hard! :)

Welcome! A quick note on adhesives...epoxy is great, but isn't always the best choice. When building kits that are paper tubes and wood fins, yellow/wood glue is great...it's light, and has been shown to be at least as strong as epoxy, if not stronger. Use the adhesive that best suits the materials being joined. Epoxy is perfect for fillets though, because it doesn't contract or bubble. On most of my kits, I use wood glue for the structural bonds, and fillet with epoxy because it can look pretty...lol

Good luck, and have fun!

Wow! It's great to see so many people rediscovering model rocketry! I'm in the same boat....built and flew rockets throughout my teens til I was 21....then other things in life took over.....now I'm 48 and looking forward to many years of building and flying.

Back