Sport Scale WAC Corporal

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
in case you're curious the wiring conduit measures 3.9" on the full size bird. I cut a piece of bt50 in half for my 3" wac.
Rex

in case you're curious the wiring conduit measures 3.9" on the full size bird. I cut a piece of bt50 in half for my 3" wac.
Rex

Thanks! I was wondering about that, but couldn't seem to find the dimensions anywhere. Then again, I didn't look too terribly hard...

when I was doing my research all I could find were the same photos that you found...wound up counting pixels and came up with an answer of 4"...couple of years later I found the actual width, thought I would save you the fun of counting pixels :). course your design ought to have a boat tail.
Rex

when I was doing my research all I could find were the same photos that you found...wound up counting pixels and came up with an answer of 4"...couple of years later I found the actual width, thought I would save you the fun of counting pixels :). course your design ought to have a boat tail.
Rex
Might I ask where you found the actual width? I'm working on revisions to "Rockets of the World" and I'm keeping my eyes peeled for helpful bits like that.

Peter Alway

at the moment I can't recall where I found it...might have been connected to one of the 'ASP' kits. it was iirc sort of mentioned in passing, the only bit that really stood out to me was the fact that my 'guess' was that close. if I find it again I will let you know where to look.
Rex

can't find the page. I'm willing to concede the point. currently the only size(width) I can find comes from Mr. Alway's book, 1.75" radius(3.5" width) which means the tunnel/conduit on my 3" version is 2.5mm to wide...I think I can live with that :).
when I flew mine at LDRS33 the rso wanted to know why it was there, my reply, because the full size bird had one. guess the TWA folks were not overly familiar with Wac Corporals.
Rex

also of note from RotW, the left side of the 'tunnel' was sealed before flight with 2" duct tape, now if I could just find some 1/2" wide scale duct tape...:).
Rex

also of note from RotW, the left side of the 'tunnel' was sealed before flight with 2" duct tape, now if I could just find some 1/2" wide scale duct tape...:).
Rex

I am planning on building a 1/3rd-scale two-stage Tiny Tim-WAC Corporal. I understand that the "WAC" is an acronym for "without any control". My question is -- do you pronounce it "W A C Corporal"? or "Wack Corporal"?

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

NikeMikey

it isn't an acronym in the sense that you're thinking, it stands for Women Army Corps. it was so named because it didn't fit the pattern of rockets at the time. more here; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAC_Corporal in any case it has always been wack in my hearing :).
Rex

for a 1/3 scale model, a 29mm motor mount tube would be just about spot on for the instrument tunnel.
Rex

I believe that it is "Without Attitude Control", and I pronounce it wack.

Cheers,
Michael

Back