Filler Reacts With Gorilla Glue

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chunker78

Reaction score
I mixed Elmers Wood Filler with water and painted it on my fins. It reacted with the Gorilla Glue Fillets. Kinda melted it. This was after letting it dry for over 24 hours. What did I do wrong. I saw technique on You Tube and it seemed to work fine.

How did you apply the fillets, gorilla glue reacts with water too set, if you didn't have it fully cured it may have absorbed the water out of the filler. I am curious about the use of gorilla glue for fillets, I would think it would be a pain since it foams as it cures.

How did you apply the fillets, gorilla glue reacts with water too set, if you didn't have it fully cured it may have absorbed the water out of the filler. I am curious about the use of gorilla glue for fillets, I would think it would be a pain since it foams as it cures.

I used Gorilla Wood Glue. Its white like Elmers glue and it dries clear brown. Works great. Water clean up. The foaming Gorilla glue is what I used for the engine mount. Its in a small bottle only labeled Gorilla Glue.

The video on You Tube that I was referring too is a hobbyist that is building a "Swift".

Ahhh... You didn't specify the type of gorilla glue in the original post.

I use Gorilla wood glue and have for years. I'm pretty sure I've covered fillets with watered down wood filler as well. All I can think of is the fillets weren't all the way cured and or your wood filler mix was heavy on the water. How thick were the fillets ? Any unusual temp or humidity conditions ?

Fillets were pretty thick. I used a toothpick to help with extra support. Guess I'll wait longer next time and try not to use so much water. Thanks

Fillets were pretty thick. I used a toothpick to help with extra support. Guess I'll wait longer next time and try not to use so much water. Thanks

With wood glue fillets, its better to use thin layers and multiple applications; it does take longer to build up a nice radius. Toothpicks huh ? Do you lay them in the joint ? Pictures ?

Back