Now a Mid-power Guy!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USAFmissileer

Reaction score
Been on the forum since July or so and as some of you know, I am a BAR and have been back and forth in rocketry a couple times. Today I entered the composite MPR ranks. Launched an Astra III on an 18mm D21-7T, an unfinished Mega Mosquito on an F12-5J and an Estes Ascender on an E16-7W.

First launch was a Mini Max on a 1/2A, just to gauge wind. It as about 5 to 10 mph. Launch was fine but not spectacular.

Next came the Astra. My first composite ever....all I can say I WOW! Very quick off the pad and then......outta sight. My friend, his two kids and I could not find it at all. She was a good ship, with about 20 launches on her. Oh well. No pic, I know, no pic, no proof! But it happened.

Next came the Mega Mossie on a D12-5, actually three of them in all. All flew nominally. The only-primed Big Skeeter flew as advertised.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1419117688.737151.jpg

Next came the Skeeter on the AP round. All of us were in awe. That Blackjack smoke is awesome, as is the sound. Incredible.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1419117791.729865.jpg

Finally, the 29mm. Beautiful launch but too long of a delay. Chute popped about 30 feet from the ground. Only damage was a fin which can be reattached.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1419117861.983270.jpg

All in all, a most satisfying day.

Mike

Nice! Simulate and adjust those delays, it becomes a big deal as the rockets grow.

Congrats!

I am gearing up for my first launch in [REDACTED] years...I have a couple of the 18mm D's on the way, and am sorely tempted to put them into something lightweight, to see how high it would go...but realizing yeah, the chances of getting it back might be slim. I'm going to take something maybe about 20 inches high, and put a streamer in it...having a parachute recovery just might take it too far away.

Congrats!

I am gearing up for my first launch in [REDACTED] years...I have a couple of the 18mm D's on the way, and am sorely tempted to put them into something lightweight, to see how high it would go...but realizing yeah, the chances of getting it back might be slim. I'm going to take something maybe about 20 inches high, and put a streamer in it...having a parachute recovery just might take it too far away.

I want more of those to put in my Big Bertha. The quickness off the pad was unbelievable.

Yea, there is nothing like your first AP motor. Congrats on a all in all great day.

Sounds like a great day! I just looked up the info on that F12, and I imagine that flight was fantastic! The Mega Mosquito flies slow and stable with the big draggy fins, and that motor has a pretty long burn of nearly 3 seconds, so that has to be a good combination.

MPR is a great place in the hobby. You can fly some exciting rockets without the expense and added restrictions of HPR. There's no need to rush through it to L1, L2, etc.! Enjoy it!

If you are excited about MPR, you should take a look at the Estes holiday bundle of 4 PSII kits for $80. That is a great deal, and the kits will give you lots of experience with MPR/ HPR building techniques and materials (it's actually easier than a lot of LPR building, because the parts are bigger and less fragile).

Congratulations!

Yes that Estes deal! I thought my Leviathan a steal at $27, 4 kits for $80 seems like robbery. They are not quite as nice as the Aerotech options but clearly there is a large price difference to make up for it, and having those four should keep you going for quite a while. Also as you move through them you can delve into improved construction techniques like ditching the shock cord teabag, and maybe even dual deployment.

Congrats! and welcome to composites. You may never go back to BP again well maybe? I remember when I launch my first composite motor. I was hooked. The rocket blasted off the pad with a roar! Loved it!

I think my 24/40 case is the most used case in my arsenal. Followed closely by my 29/40-120. LOVE those cases! Welcome to the club!

Yes,, Dont be to quick to move on. There is lots to do with mid power. Im having as much or more fun with midpower as with L1 and L2. More now Id say. I can fly more with less restriction and more chances for the family to be involved. But dont get me wrong. High Power is awesome. When you fly with the club and you have all the waivers and equipment. And those BIG motors. Its all a BLAST dont you think?
Have fun

Been on the forum since July or so and as some of you know, I am a BAR and have been back and forth in rocketry a couple times. Today I entered the composite MPR ranks. Launched an Astra III on an 18mm D21-7T, an unfinished Mega Mosquito on an F12-5J and an Estes Ascender on an E16-7W.

First launch was a Mini Max on a 1/2A, just to gauge wind. It as about 5 to 10 mph. Launch was fine but not spectacular.

Next came the Astra. My first composite ever....all I can say I WOW! Very quick off the pad and then......outta sight. My friend, his two kids and I could not find it at all. She was a good ship, with about 20 launches on her. Oh well. No pic, I know, no pic, no proof! But it happened.

Next came the Mega Mossie on a D12-5, actually three of them in all. All flew nominally. The only-primed Big Skeeter flew as advertised.

View attachment 249367

Next came the Skeeter on the AP round. All of us were in awe. That Blackjack smoke is awesome, as is the sound. Incredible.

View attachment 249368

Finally, the 29mm. Beautiful launch but too long of a delay. Chute popped about 30 feet from the ground. Only damage was a fin which can be reattached.

View attachment 249369

All in all, a most satisfying day.

Mike

Great pictures! I hope to get some MPR rockets built and in the air by early spring.

Yes,, Dont be to quick to move on. There is lots to do with mid power. Im having as much or more fun with midpower as with L1 and L2. More now Id say. I can fly more with less restriction and more chances for the family to be involved. But dont get me wrong. High Power is awesome. When you fly with the club and you have all the waivers and equipment. And those BIG motors. Its all a BLAST dont you think?
Have fun

Amen, brother...my thoughts exactly...mid power saves alot of money over HPR, but nothing beats seeing the beasts fly...

Back