Estes rocket powered racer possible downscale to MMX?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunterdude

Reaction score
I mostly model objects that FLY, however lately anything rocket powered catches my eye, I just acquired Several OOP new in box Estes rocket powered racers sometimes marketed as Blurzz. I am pleased with over all quality and am considering building a down scale suitable for micro maxx...the one design feature I do not like is the cars use an A10-PT or plugged motor that is also no longer made...it occurred to me that I could build a modified car that deployed a rear eject chute just like the real cars, my thought was to make a motor mount tube in the shape of a U then mount that out the back of car turned sideways like this <= and load the motor in bottom tube, chute in top, to get rear eject...the Estes cars have a chute on a slider over a guide string near the end of race track...I suppose the designers did this to control the exact moment the chute begins to brake the car but rear eject would be sweet if I can find a short delay motor?

IMG_20141220_175015_920.jpg

Last edited:
Reading my post I admit it is more about modifying my Estes racer than micro maxx related, I do plan to use the Estes racers as a test bed and use what I learn to help build the micro maxx down scale version. The problems with a tiny racer are likely to be mostly track surface...even asphalt is rough for a 3 to 4 inch long car propelled by rocket like speed, I may seek out a tennis court or outdoor shuffle board lane to get smoothest track. Then car body's that are suitably light will be the next hurdle...I will be looking at 1/72 scale models for possible PMC conversion or possibly the belly tank from an airplane model would be an interesting starting point for a vintage salt flats racer! And thoughts or ideas are welcomed.

Reading my post I admit it is more about modifying my Estes racer than micro maxx related, I do plan to use the Estes racers as a test bed and use what I learn to help build the micro maxx down scale version. The problems with a tiny racer are likely to be mostly track surface...even asphalt is rough for a 3 to 4 inch long car propelled by rocket like speed, I may seek out a tennis court or outdoor shuffle board lane to get smoothest track. Then car body's that are suitably light will be the next hurdle...I will be looking at 1/72 scale models for possible PMC conversion or possibly the belly tank from an airplane model would be an interesting starting point for a vintage salt flats racer! And thoughts or ideas are welcomed.

I seem to recall Estes Racers are launched along a tether wire. I'd think downscaling the vehicles might make them so light weight they wouldn't stay upright under power? Perhaps a couple pinewood derby car weights might help?

That is good news about the A10-PT motors Mike, thank you.

I think track surface and the lack of any suspention is the issue..the tinyest twigs or stones will bounce the nose of car up...then wind gets under car and multiply the proplem. Even the Estes cars will flip over, the key to a good run is track string tension...if allowed slack the car will flip and scratch the paint on roof...there is a front and rear eyelet on the cars to keep them guided the whole run...weights are placed on both ends of track string to maintain proper string tension.

Hunterdude, your welcome, the only reason I knew about them was that I'd ordered several packs for the one I have that a buddy gave me.

It's never been used and I'm dying to try it out.

Thanks for the tip about the weight and string tension.

Mike, you are very welcome!...I feel this is the beauty of forums is the opportunity to share info with like minded hobbyist's and I am greatful to contribute as well as benefit from fellow hobbyists. please let us know how your car runs?
I am fortunate to have acquired a number of Estes rocket powered racers...new in box...I will be exploring the most cost effective way to ship, they will be for sale in the yard sale section in the next week or so at reasonable cost...I hope is OK to post this heads up here? I will edit post if this is considered bad form?

Back