MADCOW Jawhawk nose weight questions?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to be starting my build on this kit and I had a question about the nose weight. I understand that the CG needs to be ahead of the CP by a margin of 1.5 x the diameter which would be equal to 3.9" in order to have a stable flying kit.

I pulled up a ROCKSIM file of this kit and with 3oz of nose weight and a loaded G64 it's still -.96 unstable? I know it needs more nose weight to get it to be stable so I'm asking if anyone has built this kit and how much nose weight did you use to bring it into a safe stable flying state.

I also noticed the instructions stated that when adding the nose weight that the epoxy will not stick to the inside of the nose cone and they suggest using a screw to allow the lead something to "catch" or "hang" onto. Couldn't I just use a wood dowel instead and does the dowel have to be above the weight or somewhere in the middle for it to be effective and keep it in place.

Thanks guys!

the nose on mine weighs in at 245g(8.45oz.), I forget how much of that is #4shot/epoxy. I generally use a bamboo skewer located in the top third (or so) of the nose weight. a 1/2" - 3/4" hole bored through one side of the shoulder makes it fairly easy to pour the shot/epoxy mix into the nose.
Rex

the nose on mine weighs in at 245g(8.45oz.), I forget how much of that is #4shot/epoxy. I generally use a bamboo skewer located in the top third (or so) of the nose weight. a 1/2" - 3/4" hole bored through one side of the shoulder makes it fairly easy to pour the shot/epoxy mix into the nose.
Rex

WOW! That is a lot of weight, but it is what it is.

Thanks Rex!

Ive got the estes pro series jawhawk same diameter modified with 29 mm motor mount. Mine weighs 5.5 oz and flys on G-33 a little squirlly. 8.5 oz should be more than enough.

Back