Sanding sealer on Blue Tube 2.0

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I use: Deft Lacquer Sanding Sealer

I fill the spirals first with Bondo Spot and Glazing putty, then spray with the sealer. The sealer isn't to fill the spirals, but to seal the tube against humidity.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use body filler to fill the spirals but just need to seal the tube as ARR advise it.

I only mentioned filling the spirals before sealing because the sealant may effect the ability of the filler to stick in the spirals. Whatever you use to fill should be fine. I chose a lacquer sanding sealer to give me the maximum paint options that could go over it. Sometimes I use automotive lacquer paint which would be a no-no if I hadn't used a lacquer sealer underneath.

bondo to fille the grooves and rustoleum primer has worked well for me.

Is always filled the groves 1st. Going to try something different this time in a bit of scrap.

Decorators chalk. Easy too apply and get into the spirals/groves. Wiped clean off with a blade and damp cloth. Cheaper than filler. Sands, paints, light.

The sanding sealer is to prevent moister is what Dave has said. Just so many different option of the stuff so getting the right one is key

Is always filled the groves 1st. Going to try something different this time in a bit of scrap.

Decorators chalk. Easy too apply and get into the spirals/groves. Wiped clean off with a blade and damp cloth. Cheaper than filler. Sands, paints, light.

The sanding sealer is to prevent moister is what Dave has said. Just so many different option of the stuff so getting the right one is key

Auto-Spellcheck fail: I think you meant "decorator's caulk".

Never thought of using that. Great idea!

Yeah sorry about that. Posting from my iPhone and it's doing stuff I do not want it too do.
There are entire websites devoted to posting the various Spellcheck/AutoCorrect Fails that have been spotted in the wild.

I disabled that feature early on in the iPhone days and have done the same on my Galaxy.

When I was at the home improvement store this evening and looked for decorator's caulk but was probably searching in the wrong part of the store (adhesives and tub/sink caulk). Tomorrow I'll check in the wall finishing section.

There are entire websites devoted to posting the various Spellcheck/AutoCorrect Fails that have been spotted in the wild.

I disabled that feature early on in the iPhone days and have done the same on my Galaxy.

When I was at the home improvement store this evening and looked for decorator's caulk but was probably searching in the wrong part of the store (adhesives and tub/sink caulk). Tomorrow I'll check in the wall finishing section.

Yeah some the websites and fails are amazing.

I did have it off just the updates keep resetting everything. Does my head in. Linux phone next do it properly.

So many different types. Mine is walls like you say. Will play on a tester tomorrow I think now.

Hey, if "decorators caulk" sands easily, then I'll have to give it a try. I'm just about to fill in some body tubes with the old carpenter's wood filler, but I'm always interested in something that might be better.

Hey, if "decorators caulk" sands easily, then I'll have to give it a try. I'm just about to fill in some body tubes with the old carpenter's wood filler, but I'm always interested in something that might be better.

Once dried it tough and hard but sands and shapes. Just remove as much as you can. An old damp cloth helps and razor blade.

I've now at last gotten some time to do this.

Just need to check I've done all the drilling for vents, switch access, plastic rivets then I'll go ahead and do the filling.

I'll take plenty of photos and try a few different ways I've thigh about applying the stuff.

See you soon

Back