-

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kind of velocity are you hitting? I've had cases where OR predicts a rocket going unstable at high mach and chops off the altitude. A tailcone usually moves the CP forward which can introduce that effect.

RASAero usually gives you a higher stability (and I've seen threads where it's been stated that trusting RASAero stability resulted in a shread in real life) so may not be impacted in the same way.
It's interesting that it thinks the shorter but narrower tailcone is so much better - what did you have entered for your Nozzle exit diameter?

I am getting about Mach 2.7 with in both RASAero and OR.

Good point about instability at high mach. Yeah, I've run enough sims to notice OR limits altitude when stability margin goes negative at high mach. In OR the stability margin drops to a minimum of 0.4 with the tailcone at max velocity, so perhaps I need larger fins, but it isn't affecting altitude since it is still 'stable'. Without the tailcone stability margin only drops to a minmum of 1.5.

I used 2.0 " for nozzle exit diameter.

I think it was the Bare Necessities N5800 thread where they used pretty small fins with a weighted nose , but post flight attributed stability problems to RASAero's optimistic stability calculations

What I'm really after is if I should use the CTI tailcone on a minimum diameter flight, or if I'd get more altitude with a tailcone that has a less steep angle with a base diameter of say 2.6 " , in which case I would turn my own tailcone and affix it to the standard CTI retaining ring.

Really, the reason the CTI 75mm tailcone is so stubby is the 75 mm XL nozzle is pretty short so the TC tapers right to the end of the nozzle. The AT 75 mm single throat nozzle is longer so the AT tailcone is longer with less angle.

OpenRocket's lower altitude estimation actually comes from coning showing up in the simulation. Bare Necessities did behave very much like the OR simulation, which gave a very low altitude which we initially attributed to bad simulation. That one went to a static margin of exactly 0. However, after the flight, I looked at the simulation again and the angle of attack went pretty high, and the rocket was rotating around much like the actual flight, causing the reduced altitude in the simulation (~20,000 feet, versus the expected 90k-100k).

If you're getting negative stability in OpenRocket, then I would adjust the design until the simulation flies properly.

Regarding RASAero's tailcone optimism: I tried to do an experiment regarding that, but both rockets had issues with deploying the main for some reason... Someday I will do it better.

Last edited:
Back