AIR-2 Genie Air-To-Air Nuke!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amazing that they used to have people stand around and experience the blast.

Those Officers volunteered, so as to prove that the Weapon was safe for use over populated areas.:y:
I personally, would have been honored to have been there!
Those must have been some good times!!!

The Fins on this one look like a Nightmare to model, or a Blessing if you like places to put Cluster Motors.

Those fins look as though they expand at some point during flight...

This would be a fun build...

the fins 'fold out' once it is dropped/launched.
Rex

Good point.
In the Pics' I posted they are fully extended. If you look closely at the Pic' in the Boeing Link with the Missiles attached to the Jet you will notice them in the closed position.

The Fins on this one look like a Nightmare to model, or a Blessing if you like places to put Cluster Motors.
Tom Hoelle built and flew one at the 1980 World Spacemodeling Championships. I got to see one of his Genie models at a KentCon. I think I still have a photo of him and his Genie.
-Wolf

I think Dick Embry flew F106 Delta Daggers equipped with Genies. Remembering that these are unguided point and launch missiles with limited range, evading the blast work require some skilled flying.

Both services had effectually nuclear hand grenades in their arsenals. The US Army had the Davey Crockett, and the USAF had the Genie. The yield of the 1.5-kiloton W25 was significantly larger that the 0.02 kiloton yield of the W54 used in US Army weapon, but the Davey Crockett has a shorter delivery range.

John

Last edited:
it would be interesting to see a model with pop-out fins(thinking as the top guide clears the rail), the fun part would be getting it past the RSO :).
Rex

I think Dick Embry flew F106 Delta Daggers equipped with Genies. Remembering that these are unguided point and launch missiles with limited range, evading the blast work require some skilled flying.

Both services had effectually nuclear hand grenades in their arsenals. The US Army had the Davey Crockett, and the USAF had the Genie. The yield of the 1.5-kiloton W25 was significantly larger that the 0.02 kiloton yield of the W54 used in US Army weapon, but the Davey Crockett has a shorter delivery range.

John

I'm a big fan of Tactical Nukes, and wish we'de have had them in 03' when we invaded Iraq.
When I was at Fort Riley we used to run up the Hill to Atomic Annie as part of PT sometimes. It's awesome that I got to sit on Atomic Annie.
Wish we could have brought her and her Munitions to Camp Junction City, Ramadi with us.:cool:

Tom Hoelle built and flew one at the 1980 World Spacemodeling Championships. I got to see one of his Genie models at a KentCon. I think I still have a photo of him and his Genie.
-Wolf

Tom made at least one of his NARAM Genie models so that the fins were folded until ignition, held closed by a fine thread. The engine exhaust burned the thread, allowing the outer parts of the fins to pop out before it left the rod.

Tom was working on a Trailblazer-II for the 1980 WSMC. It may be that he was planning to and ran out of time, substituting it with a Genie.

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
The real diehard UFO conspiracy buffs believe that the “Genie” was developed specifically to shoot down “Flying Saucers” as part of the “Wind Chime” operations; the follow on to “Nightingale”.

I remember building a model of the “Davy Crockett”, the thing was fired from a 105mm recoilless rifle mounted on the back of a standard Army Jeep.

Talk about cracking eggs with a sledgehammer.

The real diehard UFO conspiracy buffs believe that the “Genie” was developed specifically to shoot down “Flying Saucers” as part of the “Wind Chime” operations; the follow on to “Nightingale”.

I remember building a model of the “Davy Crockett”, the thing was fired from a 105mm recoilless rifle mounted on the back of a standard Army Jeep.

Talk about cracking eggs with a sledgehammer.

The Genie is a good start at a UFO killer, as long as the UFO is not doing 100 G evasive maneuvers.

They should have had a Davy Crocket at the Alamo.

The Genie is a good start at a UFO killer, as long as the UFO is not doing 100 G evasive maneuvers.

They should have had a Davy Crocket at the Alamo.

And like all the TV Shows on Discovery/History/Science Channel say, "They have travelled across the Stars, and our Nuclear Weapons have no chance of doing anything at all to them, yada yada yada,...".:facepalm:

Love those nukes... as long as I'm not the target of one!

Here's one of the dumber, "We want nukes, too!", cold war efforts, the M65 atomic cannon. However, this image is very "cool." 15 kilotons in a low airburst. Sizzle...:

15471591213_caa202aa03_o.jpg

16091277235_e641e86b24_o.jpg

Various info from Wikipedia:

The detonation of Grable occurred 19 seconds after its firing. It detonated over 11,000 yards (over 10 km, 6.25 mi) away from the gun it was fired from, over a part of the Nevada Test Site known as Frenchman Flat. The explosion was an air burst of 160 m (524 ft) above the ground, only 7 m (24 ft) above its designated burst altitude, 26 m (87 ft) west and 41 m (136 ft) south of its target. Its yield was estimated at 15 kilotons, around the same level as Little Boy.

An anomalous feature of the blast was the formation of a precursor, a second shock front ahead of the incident wave. This precursor was formed when the shock wave reflected off the ground and surpassed the incident wave and Mach stem due to a heated ground air layer and the low burst height. It resulted in a lower overpressure, but higher overall dynamic pressure, which inflicted much more damage on drag sensitive targets such as jeeps and personnel carriers. This led strategists to rethink the importance of low air bursts in tactical nuclear warfare.

"The artillery piece could be unlimbered in 15 minutes, then returned to traveling configuration in another 15 minutes." In other words unloaded, reloaded from its transport. What about survey, setup, aiming, and loading time? Undoubtedly classified then and perhaps never released. No matter, the cannon and its crew were blasted to bits by hostile aircraft 10 minutes ago. Air supremacy prevents that? Then WHY do you need a cannon? That's right, the "me too" effect. Lots of money to spend, obviously no procurement brains to be found. Amazing.

The shell/warhead:

The W9 was an American nuclear artillery shell fired from a special 11 inch howitzer. It was produced starting in 1952 and all were retired by 1957. (Now there's your money's worth. An entire new warhead designed and then shot from the M65 cannon once until someone finally admitted, "Hey, this thing is really stupid! Lets get rid of it. Whose idea was this anyway?")

The W9 was 11 inches (280 mm) in diameter, 55 inches (138 cm) long, and weighed 850 pounds (364 kg). It had an explosive yield of 15 kilotons.

The W9 was a gun-type nuclear weapon, using around 50 kilograms of highly enriched uranium in one large rings assembly and one smaller "bullet", which was fired down a tube by conventional explosives into the rings assembly to achieve critical mass and detonate the weapon.

The W9 units which were retired in 1957 were recycled into lower yield T-4 Atomic Demolition Munitions. These were the first (semi) man-portable nuclear weapons.

The W9 is only the second gun-type nuclear weapon known to have been detonated; the first was the Little Boy nuclear weapon used in World War II. The W9 artillery shell was test fired once, in Upshot-Knothole Grable on May 25, 1953. Yield was the expected 15 kilotons.

Subsequently, the W33 nuclear artillery shell was test fired twice during its development. These four detonations are the only identified gun-type bomb detonations.

Love those nukes... as long as I'm not the target of one!

Here's one of the dumber, "We want nukes, too!", cold war efforts, the M65 atomic cannon. However, this image is very "cool." 15 kilotons in a low airburst. Sizzle...:

15471591213_caa202aa03_o.jpg

16091277235_e641e86b24_o.jpg

Various info from Wikipedia:

The detonation of Grable occurred 19 seconds after its firing. It detonated over 11,000 yards (over 10 km, 6.25 mi) away from the gun it was fired from, over a part of the Nevada Test Site known as Frenchman Flat. The explosion was an air burst of 160 m (524 ft) above the ground, only 7 m (24 ft) above its designated burst altitude, 26 m (87 ft) west and 41 m (136 ft) south of its target. Its yield was estimated at 15 kilotons, around the same level as Little Boy.

An anomalous feature of the blast was the formation of a precursor, a second shock front ahead of the incident wave. This precursor was formed when the shock wave reflected off the ground and surpassed the incident wave and Mach stem due to a heated ground air layer and the low burst height. It resulted in a lower overpressure, but higher overall dynamic pressure, which inflicted much more damage on drag sensitive targets such as jeeps and personnel carriers. This led strategists to rethink the importance of low air bursts in tactical nuclear warfare.

"The artillery piece could be unlimbered in 15 minutes, then returned to traveling configuration in another 15 minutes." In other words unloaded, reloaded from its transport. What about survey, setup, aiming, and loading time? Undoubtedly classified then and perhaps never released. No matter, the cannon and its crew were blasted to bits by hostile aircraft 10 minutes ago. Air supremacy prevents that? Then WHY do you need a cannon? That's right, the "me too" effect. Lots of money to spend, obviously no procurement brains to be found. Amazing.

The shell/warhead:

The W9 was an American nuclear artillery shell fired from a special 11 inch howitzer. It was produced starting in 1952 and all were retired by 1957. (Now there's your money's worth. An entire new warhead designed and then shot from the M65 cannon once until someone finally admitted, "Hey, this thing is really stupid! Lets get rid of it. Whose idea was this anyway?")

The W9 was 11 inches (280 mm) in diameter, 55 inches (138 cm) long, and weighed 850 pounds (364 kg). It had an explosive yield of 15 kilotons.

The W9 was a gun-type nuclear weapon, using around 50 kilograms of highly enriched uranium in one large rings assembly and one smaller "bullet", which was fired down a tube by conventional explosives into the rings assembly to achieve critical mass and detonate the weapon.

The W9 units which were retired in 1957 were recycled into lower yield T-4 Atomic Demolition Munitions. These were the first (semi) man-portable nuclear weapons.

The W9 is only the second gun-type nuclear weapon known to have been detonated; the first was the Little Boy nuclear weapon used in World War II. The W9 artillery shell was test fired once, in Upshot-Knothole Grable on May 25, 1953. Yield was the expected 15 kilotons.

Subsequently, the W33 nuclear artillery shell was test fired twice during its development. These four detonations are the only identified gun-type bomb detonations.

That's Atomic Annie! The one I was talking about in post #14 of this Thread.
I'm very pround that I got to climb around on her.:)
https://coldwartourist.com/other_sites/atomic_cannon_-_ft_riley_ks

That's Atomic Annie! The one I was talking about in post #14 of this Thread.
I'm very pround that I got to climb around on her.:)
https://coldwartourist.com/other_sites/atomic_cannon_-_ft_riley_ks
Visited that one myself and have a bunch of digital photos of it somewhere. Two great nuke tourist attractions:

National Museum of Nuclear Science & History (Albuquerque, NM)

https://www.nuclearmuseum.org/

Bradbury Science Museum (Los Alamos, NM)

https://www.lanl.gov/museum/index.shtml

Here's the Genie's warhead (W-25) development test:

Series: Redwing
Test: Osage
Time: 01:14 16 June 1956 (GMT)
Test Height and Type: B-36 Air drop, 670 (+/-35) Ft burst height
Yield: 1.7 kt

Proof test of the LASL XW-25 warhead. This was a light weight, low yield, plutonium warhead intended for air defense and other tactical applications. This spherical implosion device had a diameter of 17.4 inches, was 25.7 inches long and weighed 174.6 lb. It was dropped in an instrumented Mk 7 drop case, which had a total weight of 3150 lb.

REDWING_Osage_copy.jpg

Here's the Genie's warhead (W-25) development test:

Series: Redwing
Test: Osage
Time: 01:14 16 June 1956 (GMT)
Test Height and Type: B-36 Air drop, 670 (+/-35) Ft burst height
Yield: 1.7 kt

Proof test of the LASL XW-25 warhead. This was a light weight, low yield, plutonium warhead intended for air defense and other tactical applications. This spherical implosion device had a diameter of 17.4 inches, was 25.7 inches long and weighed 174.6 lb. It was dropped in an instrumented Mk 7 drop case, which had a total weight of 3150 lb.

REDWING_Osage_copy.jpg

Looks like a nice day at the beach, kicking' back in the lounge chair with Mai Tais and Piña Coladas, watching' the nukes go off. Don't forget sunscreen!

I'm glad they don't test nukes anymore, but it would have been an awesome thing to see.

Do they make SPF 100,000,000,000,000?

These guys didn't need any...

They stood directly under the detonation of a Genie missile launched by a Scorpion Interceptor over the Nevada Test Site. The story from the cameraman from the Lookout Mountain Laboratory in California, which filmed all the nuclear tests, is in the video "The Atomic Cinematographers"... He was sent to Nevada to film this test, which was made to "prove" to military personnel that the use of the air-to-air Genie missile in combat operations would pose no health threats to personnel on the battlefield below. So, five "volunteers" plus the cameraman were stationed directly under the point where the missile warhead was to be detonated, about 10,000 feet directly above them, "proving" that the flash, blast, and radiation burst from the detonation posed "no threat" to those on the ground below.
[YOUTUBE]1VZ7FQHTaR4&x-yt-ts=1421828030&x-yt-cl=84411374&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

Later! OL JR :)

They stood directly under the detonation of a Genie missile launched by a Scorpion Interceptor over the Nevada Test Site. The story from the cameraman from the Lookout Mountain Laboratory in California, which filmed all the nuclear tests, is in the video "The Atomic Cinematographers"... He was sent to Nevada to film this test, which was made to "prove" to military personnel that the use of the air-to-air Genie missile in combat operations would pose no health threats to personnel on the battlefield below. So, five "volunteers" plus the cameraman were stationed directly under the point where the missile warhead was to be detonated, about 10,000 feet directly above them, "proving" that the flash, blast, and radiation burst from the detonation posed "no threat" to those on the ground below.
[YOUTUBE]1VZ7FQHTaR4&x-yt-ts=1421828030&x-yt-cl=84411374&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

Uhhh.....:confused2:

And they were just fine afterwards!

Zombies-on-Nintendo.png

Back