Why do I reach into ovens with my bare hands?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Lone_Beagle

Reaction score
Obviously, the answer is, because I'm an idiot, on one level at least.

Thankfully, the ganglia in my spinal cord were brighter than my brain, and pulled my hands back quickly...my brain woke up, and I ran my fingers under cold, cold water for a couple of minutes, and the fingers seem none the worse for wear.

Every time I do this, I tell myself, "Idiot, use the oven mitts!" but for some reason, I think that stuff in there isn't that hot, and I can just quickly yank something out.

Ok, my personal rant against myself is over. I'll post stuff like this intermittently, as if I posted every time I did something like this, I wouldn't get any other work done.

Heh....I've done the reaffirming of the physical property of metal objects to retain (a lot!) of heat after being in an oven for twenty minutes thing several times myself.

I had just finished TIG welding a piece of hardware and had set it down when someone asked me if it was finished and immediately picked it up.

Always open the oven door all the way.

I lost my best (most perfectly round) pizza ever once when pulling it out of the oven because my hand touched the door and spazzed out, sending the pizza flying.

I thought about this Thread earlier tonight as I was pulling my Garlic Bread out of the Toaster Oven.
Instead of burning myself completely I stopped half way and let go of the Foil Sheet.;)

Trying to cut a pizza out of the oven is my most common. Stupid because the pan is hot and the cheese would run.

I did burn my leg trying a mig welder for the first time (only time so far). Wore shorts... Buddy said it feels a bit like a match head burning. Felt something on my calf. I ignored it since it didn't hurt that bad. I still have a dime sized scar there.

I rented an apartment once, and the oven didn't work right. Sometimes it wouldn't heat up at all, and sometimes it would burn the food. Two maintenance guys came to check it out. They turned on the oven, and after a minute one of them decided to check if it was getting hot by reaching out and touching one of the electric heating elements with his bare hand. I actually heard the sizzle.

Back