Beacon Hill (Boston) Rocket Club - November 1969

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonov

Reaction score
An album of photos on Flickr. Album includes pictures of the Beacon Hill Rocket Club and toy rocketeering on the Esplanade grounds, near the Hatch Shell:

110469 07 17 by nick dewolf photo archive, on Flickr

110469 21 31 by nick dewolf photo archive, on Flickr

Another album, this time on the Esplanade grounds, in Lederman Field:

111069 23 by nick dewolf photo archive, on Flickr

111069 25 by nick dewolf photo archive, on Flickr

Building rockets:

110669 01 by nick dewolf photo archive, on Flickr

This link provides a selection of vintage rocket-related photos from the same photographer.

Last edited:
Do you have any other information like names of the people in the photos?

Those are great photos! Thanks for sharing. I'm off to visit the Flickr album, now.

-- Roger

Do you have any other information like names of the people in the photos?

If you go to the Flickr site like Jadebox is doing, you might see some names in the captions. The photographer was Nick De Wolf, the founder of Teradyne and also a compulsive photographer; he took literally thousands of photos during his life. The boy in the last pic is the photographer's son, Alexander. Within a few years of when these photos were taken De Wolf left Teradyne and Boston and moved to Aspen, CO.

I do wonder whether the Beacon Hill Rocket Club is still around, and if not what happened to it.

If you go to the Flickr site like Jadebox is doing, you might see some names in the captions. The photographer was Nick De Wolf, the founder of Teradyne and also a compulsive photographer; he took literally thousands of photos during his life. The boy in the last pic is the photographer's son, Alexander. Within a few years of when these photos were taken De Wolf left Teradyne and Boston and moved to Aspen, CO.

I do wonder whether the Beacon Hill Rocket Club is still around, and if not what happened to it.

I did that and didn't seen any names. I did notice that he used to work at Transitron. I drive by the building they were located in several times a week. If you keep following links it takes you to some pictures of the Transitron Rockety Club and the park they are flying in is in Wakefield, MA not far from the Transitron building.

If the Beacon Hill Rocket Club was still around I'm fairly certain I would have run into someone who knew about it by now. The name made me chuckle because there is absolutely no place to fly a rocket on Beacon Hill.

Your fourth picture looks like it must have been take from Lederman Park which is on the Charles downstream from the Hatch Shell because that domed building in the background on the right is the huge Van de Graaf generator at the Boston Museum of Science.

Great find.

Back